The Great Outdoors

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Howard Moon

Posting Machine
Sep 6, 2015

Thought I'd share a walleye I pulled out of the river here in Edmonchuk back in June. Not huge, but not small either. I love that I can leave home and be fishing this spot in less than 15 minutes.

I was there last night for the first time in a couple weeks. Landed a few small 'eyes and lost half a dozen other fish. The goldeye and mooneye are starting to get active, another guy caught a few, but unless I'm using ultralight gear, they're a PITA and I don't target them. I never use ultralight gear at this spot because there is always a chance at a monster walleye or pike.

Free fishing weekend here in Alberta. I'll be hiding while everybody is swarming the water.

Enjoy the weekend, folks. :)

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016

Thought I'd share a walleye I pulled out of the river here in Edmonchuk back in June. Not huge, but not small either. I love that I can leave home and be fishing this spot in less than 15 minutes.

I was there last night for the first time in a couple weeks. Landed a few small 'eyes and lost half a dozen other fish. The goldeye and mooneye are starting to get active, another guy caught a few, but unless I'm using ultralight gear, they're a PITA and I don't target them. I never use ultralight gear at this spot because there is always a chance at a monster walleye or pike.

Free fishing weekend here in Alberta. I'll be hiding while everybody is swarming the water.

What is a PITA?

And what do you mean by "free fishing"? Does it normally cost money to fish?

Howard Moon

Posting Machine
Sep 6, 2015
What is a PITA?

And what do you mean by "free fishing"? Does it normally cost money to fish?
Pain In The Ass

Alberta has a few weekends a year when a fishing license is not required. It's meant to give non anglers a chance to try the sport for free.

Last edited:

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
Pain In The Ass

Alberta has a few weekends a years when a fishing license is not required. It's meant to give non anglers a chance to try the sport for free.
I lived in Edmonton for twelve years. Do you ever go up to Buck lake?

Howard Moon

Posting Machine
Sep 6, 2015
I lived in Edmonton for twelve years. Do you ever go up to Buck lake?
North Buck, up by Boyle, or South Buck, between Rocky and Drayton Valley?

Never been to North Buck. Fished S. Buck a lot when I was younger. Now I find there are better, closer places for my goals.
Some of my buds hit South Buck a few times a year though, as it's one of the few places you can keep any walleye without a tag.

You are in Calgary?

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Field site at work yesterday. When we got there in the morning the water was perfectly still, like glass. The bobbers you can see in the water are where we had deployed bottle traps the day prior.

Spent the day wearing chest waders and working our way upstream. I love walking in streams/channels.

Also, I found a baby praying mantis. He was jumpy as fuck, took forever to get a pic lol. I had to catch him like 8 times, but finally he chilled on my thumb for a few minutes.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016

It's been a number of years now, but when I was younger we used to fish for walleye up in northern Wisconsin. My favorite fish to catch and eat.

The northern pike were fun too. When I was about 14 I caught a 7 pound pike. While I was reeling him in I was convinced it was a 20 pounder lol. They fight good ;)

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
What did you find in the bottle traps?
The traps are mostly for biological inventory. Aquatic invertebrates, tadpoles, crayfish, small mosquito fish, sunfish, perch, aquatic salamanders, etc.

We also do water quality, and stream metrics (like estimated discharge, flow velocities, substrate composition).

All done to determine if areas/properties are suitable for, or occupied, by endangered species.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
"And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul."

"Returning home is the most difficult part of long-distance hiking; You have grown outside the puzzle and your piece no longer fits."

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"

"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn’t lead anywhere"

"Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."

"All who wander are not lost..."

"When you come to a fork in the road...Take it." :)

I shall return.

Last edited:

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
"And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul."

"Returning home is the most difficult part of long-distance hiking; You have grown outside the puzzle and your piece no longer fits."

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"

"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn’t lead anywhere"

"Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."

"All who wander are not lost..."

"When you come to a fork in the road...Take it." :)

I shall return.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I found a tarantula today. I think it is a Texas Brown Tarantula (the common one around here). Cool little critters! They're pretty common, but I don't see them often as they're pretty secretive.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
You picked it up?
Yep! They're mostly harmless, although they are a bit creepy looking. Don't get me wrong, they can bite the fuck out of ya lol, but it's not going to kill you (unless you have a weird/rare allergy). Several of us held him with no issues.

Working with biologists for the last 15 years, I've learned how to not be a giant pussy with some forms of wildlife :D

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Yep! They're mostly harmless, although they are a bit creepy looking. Don't get me wrong, they can bite the fuck out of ya lol, but it's not going to kill you (unless you have a weird/rare allergy). Several of us held him with no issues.

Working with biologists for the last 15 years, I've learned how to not be a giant pussy with some forms of wildlife :D
I thought I was ballsy letting a Black Widow crawl around on my hand. Damn, dude! Haha. Props.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
And I just realized I've been slacking in this thread. I've been doing plenty of hiking. Just not much photo taking and posting.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I thought I was ballsy letting a Black Widow crawl around on my hand. Damn, dude! Haha. Props.
At least the arachnid I held wasn't venomous! I've never been bit by a tarantula, but I hear it's like a wasp sting. It obviously isnt fun, but it's something you can rub a little dirt on and shake it off relatively quickly.

We're about to hit prime rattlesnake season at work. Fuck! Those fuckers creep me out. Pretty sure I've posted those in here, but I'll add more in the next couple months