The Great Outdoors

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016

One of the dogs chasing a drone on the beach.

I plan on pinning a stuffed animal tail onto the drone to get the dogs extra committed.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Nothing to special.

Holy Stone something.. 720 camera.

A lot of fun though. Takes a bit to get a handle on the controls but should be comfortable enough to get some good shots soon.

Last edited:

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Nothing too special.

Holy Stone something.. 720 camera.

A lot of fun though. Takes a bit to get a handle on the controls but should be comfortable enough to get some good shots soon.
I’ve got a couple of R/C helicopters, the controls are pretty similar I think. But I’ve been wanting to get a drone with a camera. Drones are pretty badass nowadays, I just need to decide what I want. I’ve been runnung R/C trucks, cars, boats, planes, and helicopters since I was a kid. These drones have been an awesome addition to the hobby.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
I’ve got a couple of R/C helicopters, the controls are pretty similar I think. But I’ve been wanting to get a drone with a camera. Drones are pretty badass nowadays, I just need to decide what I want. I’ve been runnung R/C trucks, cars, boats, planes, and helicopters since I was a kid. These drones have been an awesome addition to the hobby.
I have about 30 minutes into it and I am getting close to feeling confident.

Issue is, when it gets up into the sun and sky, it becomes hard to see what is the 'head' of the drone. If you're not fully confident in the controls and you lose track of the 'head', you're at high risk of running the drone into a hazard.

I assume the higher end drones have a feature in where you start to panic and you can push a button to make it return to you, this would be worth the extra money.

It is a lot of fun, I assume I will build my skills with this one and move onto another with more features and a better camera. I can see a lot of potential for photo opportunities. And as mentioned, very fun with dogs who have some prey drive, mine love to chase it. Also, I have been tempted to buy a gas powered RC truck, any suggestions? just looking for one to fuck with the dogs with. One of them bitches has a very high prey drive.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I have about 30 minutes into it and I am getting close to feeling confident.

Issue is, when it gets up into the sun and sky, it becomes hard to see what is the 'head' of the drone. If you're not fully confident in the controls and you lose track of the 'head', you're at high risk of running the drone into a hazard.

I assume the higher end drones have a feature in where you start to panic and you can push a button to make it return to you, this would be worth the extra money.

It is a lot of fun, I assume I will build my skills with this one and move onto another with more features and a better camera. I can see a lot of potential for photo opportunities. And as mentioned, very fun with dogs who have some prey drive, mine love to chase it. Also, I have been tempted to buy a gas powered RC truck, any suggestions? just looking for one to fuck with the dogs with. One of them bitches has a very high prey drive.
Here’s a little eye candy ;)
RC Cars | RC Trucks | Traxxas

They have tons of stuff in there you can check out, lots of cool cars/trucks. What kind of truck do you want? (Monster, or stadium, 4x4 or not, etc). I mostly go for the monster truck or rock crawler style these days, great for just bashing around. I have a traxxas Summit, so much fun (it’s under the Monster truck tab, they have two sizes 1/16 or 1/10). Search YouTube for “traxxas summit” , there are some cool vids. The 1/10 scale summit has some options that the smaller one doesn’t.

Any reason you want a gas powered truck? The electric ones nowadays with the lipo batteries and brushless motors are insanely fast and powerful. Both gas and electric are fun, gas is higher maintenance though IMO. Either way, you can have a monster truck that will do 50+, they’re crazy fast lol.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016

They have tons of stuff in there you can check out, lots of cool cars/trucks. What kind of truck do you want? (Monster, or stadium, 4x4 or not, etc). I mostly go for the monster truck or rock crawler style these days, great for just bashing around. I have a traxxas Summit, so much fun (it’s under the Monster truck tab, they have two sizes 1/16 or 1/10). Search YouTube for “traxxas summit” , there are some cool vids. The 1/10 scale summit has some options that the smaller one doesn’t.

Any reason you want a gas powered truck? The electric ones nowadays with the lipo batteries and brushless motors are insanely fast and powerful. Both gas and electric are fun, gas is higher maintenance though IMO. Either way, you can have a monster truck that will do 50+, they’re crazy fast lol.
Ill check it out.

No, no reason I want gas other than I thought that was the best option. If batteries have caught up in performance, Im down.

I would assume it would mostly be for parks and beaches on the island, so water resistant would be key. And I would think, low noise would be best for encouraging the dogs to chase.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015

haven't done remote stuff since a canadian goose crushed my remote control airplane when I was buzzing the tower(the goose)
I got too close to 5 of them taking off and they broke the hell out of my baby:eek:, never fixed it...the Geese gave no fucks, I think they targeted it on purpose(bout 50 feet in air when impact occurred)

was so fun to fly though, used to do it daily all stoned and buzzed

those trucks look so cool and fun...I don't need another hobby though

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Ill check it out.

No, no reason I want gas other than I thought that was the best option. If batteries have caught up in performance, Im down.

I would assume it would mostly be for parks and beaches on the island, so water resistant would be key. And I would think, low noise would be best for encouraging the dogs to chase.
Some of the trucks have waterproof electronics, so that’d be a good option. Electric will definitely be quieter, and every bit as fast as gas. It’s crazy with the lipo batteries, instantaneous torque/power/speed.

My Summit will do a backflip if you punch the throttle lol.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I don't need another hobby though
I hear ya on that! But I will say, RC stuff is damn good fun. I don’t have nearly as many as when I was younger, but I like to keep a couple around still. In a few more years my kid will be old enough to get started in the hobby, so I imagine I’ll ramp up again in the future if he wants to get into it.

I never got into racing or anything like that, I just like backyard bashing and making my own courses and obstacles and ramps and shit like that. Fun stuff.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I hear ya on that! But I will say, RC stuff is damn good fun. I don’t have nearly as many as when I was younger, but I like to keep a couple around still. In a few more years my kid will be old enough to get started in the hobby, so I imagine I’ll ramp up again in the future if he wants to get into it.

I never got into racing or anything like that, I just like backyard bashing and making my own courses and obstacles and ramps and shit like that. Fun stuff.
I only had cheap planes...I would wreck them and tape them back up and send them up again...broken planes would fly funky and were difficult to control, but I had lots of fun just trying to keep them up
had one so broke it could only climb in giant circles and then i would glide it a long ways and then have to corkscrew climb again to get altitude

had a few that I was so good with I would catch them in my hand after bringing them in like maverick when the battery seemed low.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
what kind is that?
so flat
No clue. It was a juvenile. I took the pic to help me identify it but I never got around to it.

No poisonous snakes in that area other than copperheads and timber rattlers, and I don't think it's either of those. If I had to guess I'd go with a common brown snake.

Last edited:
M

member 3289

This is definitely a legitimate concern. My drone has different colored lights to indicate front and back, but they don't help during the day.

Anything by DJI will have a homing feature, yeah. And yes, more expensive.

karasu

Jan 11, 2019
I posted this in another thread but it fits well here too I think:

Torgeby’s anxiety and depression worsened. Unable to concentrate at school, burned out on the track, and overwhelmed at home, he decided to take a year off in the wilderness when he turned 20. “I rode a train as far north as I could go in Sweden,” Torgeby said, “Then I walked into the woods for another 30 miles or so, and said, ‘This is my new home.’”

He constructed a shelter out of natural materials, then filled it with bags of beans and other non-perishables, plus blankets and clothing. There was no electricity or running water. His place was about two or three hours to the nearest village (or “one hour if I ran fast,” he said), so he was forced to hunt, fish, and forage for mushrooms and berries immediately. “It was up to me to live,” he said. “When you’re focused on survival, you don’t worry about other things.”

As the days went by, Torgeby fell into a routine: Wake up, make breakfast, run, hunt and prepare food, maintain the cabin, make a fire, eat dinner. “I started to feel relaxed when I ran,” he said. “It’s so easy to push, push, push—but in the forest, it’s just you and the wilderness, and you can breathe.”

“When you’re alone away from society, it’s hard. I had this restless feeling,” he said. “After about four months, I got used to it, and could be happy by myself.” He still kept in touch with his family, visiting every three months.

When the year came to an end, Torgeby wasn’t ready to go back. He would go on to spend another three years living and training off the grid, steadily increasing his leg strength with intervals in the warmer months and long cross-country ski sessions in the winter.

But something else was changing, too: He started come to town more often, entering track races. “My attitude toward running was different,” he said. “It felt like my mind was attached to my body again.”

“There’s this idea that everyone in Sweden is happy, but mental health is a problem here just like anywhere,” Torgeby said. “If you put all of your feelings away, you’ll get sick in the head. It’s easy to be secure physically in a warm house, but being outdoors forces you to face what you’re feeling in both your mind and body.”------

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a22997...the-woods/

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Left work Thursday and headed to Appalachia.

Beautiful day but I'm freezing my ass off. It's 14 degrees Fahrenheit right now.