The Great Outdoors

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015

Home
Mt.Baker/Snoqualmie National Forest
From one of my favorite spots Sunday

M

member 3289

You finally found a green one! Sweet.
I know a place where I can find them. It's a National Wildlife Reserve. Went there today thinking I'd have to spend an hour slowly walking the boardwalk trail with my eyes peeled to the trees.

Lo and behold I see this giant fucker from my car in the parking lot. He was definitely big enough not to have any problems with brown anoles

M

member 3289

Here’s an angry turtle from yesterday. He was totally trying to bite anything he could.

Red-eared slider.

Apparently it's one of the most invasive animals in the world bc of its popularity as a pet.

I see them here from time to time but nowhere near the numbers of our yellow-bellied cooters

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Apparently it's one of the most invasive animals in the world bc of its popularity as a pet.

I see them here from time to time but nowhere near the numbers of our yellow-bellied cooters
Yeah, they’re everywhere there is warm water and people have released pet turtles. Maybe he was so bitey because his previous owner was an asshole ;)

There are several common ones I see around here (snappers, soft shell, river cooter, box, etc), and these guys are one of them.

so long

Posting Machine
Dec 16, 2015

baby toad, as big as my thumbnail.

The forest was full of them today. we had record heats in the last days and this morning it was raining, maybe that's why they all came out.

Anyway, never seen such a small frog or toad in my life and I saw about 50 of them in total ..probably stepped on some :(

M

member 3289

The forest was full of them today. we had record heats in the last days and this morning it was raining, maybe that's why they all came out.

Anyway, never seen such a small frog or toad in my life and I saw about 50 of them in total ..probably stepped on some :(
Are they native or invasive?

If invasive step on all of them

so long

Posting Machine
Dec 16, 2015
Are they native or invasive?

If invasive step on all of them
I will leave that uncommented... however, do you know this animal?

Marbled crayfish - Wikipedia

If that is the one I mean, which a friend had, then it is the most dangerous life form ever :D
Can eat anything, can reproduce asexually as well as with banging, can survive in varying temperatures (span of 30°C difference is what my friend said), grows fast. He had one in his aquarium together with a larger older "spiny lobster". He got the Marbled Crayfish when it was very little. The lobster attacked it from day one but couldnt really damage it. One day the lobster was simply dead. Few days later the Marbled-Crayfish had actually escaped the aquarium and he found him in the kitchen in the bowl of dog food, plus it was already carrying eggs.

It is forbidden to set them free in Germany.

I think that it was this marbled crayfish..

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016

Reminds me of the little guy I found while on a canoe trip a couple years back.

M

member 3289

Saw a bobcat today. First time I've ever seen one. He was way too elusive for me to have time to snap a photo but this is the grass bed he had made beneath the boardwalk before I spooked him

I have no doubt he would've stuck around and chosen to confront any of you

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Saw a bobcat today. First time I've ever seen one. He was way too elusive for me to have time to snap a photo but this is the grass bed he had made beneath the boardwalk before I spooked him

I have no doubt he would've stuck around and chosen to confront any of you
that is very cool...petted a captive but wild ones are rarely seen
could shred your shit if he wanted to

I bet florida bobcats are getting in crazy scraps with all sizes and shapes of beast

M

member 3289

Also Grateful Dude @Grateful Dude I saw a southeastern five-lined skink today as well (apologies for the grainy photo)

Their range map says you don't have them in Texas but I imagine you have similar species.