Society The Joseph R Biden Show

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
Absolutely you did.
In the future, when that happens, feel free to point it out and use it as a base for establishing common ground and constructive conversation. Instead of being a smug, trolling prick.

Now, do you think that your meme made a good, valid point that you would stand behind and defend?

??

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
In the future, when that happens, feel free to point it out and use it as a base for establishing common ground and constructive conversation. Instead of being a smug, trolling prick.

Now, do you think that your meme made a good, valid point that you would stand behind and defend?

??
When you can make this post without filling it with insults tag me and I'll come back.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
When you can make this post without filling it with insults tag me and I'll come back.
Oh okay, you weren't being a smug trolling prick. Actually you were honestly wanting to engage in an on-topic discussion where you would respond to the points that I made, and defend the statements that you made.

That better?

??

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
The top 1% pay over 40% of all federal taxes collected.

You can look at that multiple ways - one of which would be the grotesque wealth disparity we have. But what you can't say is Splinty @Splinty and his sort don't pay any taxes. They do. A lot of taxes.
The economics of medicine mean that I pay a ton of taxes even being in private practice.
I paid significantly less taxes in my private LLC in the past. The secret to being rich with low taxes is to have an LLC where you can take stock or distributions... and be in real estate. The tax code significantly incentivizes these two areas.

I am a high paid W-2 despite having a private practice that allows me to put a very limited amount of stuff through my business expenses. That means every time there's an increase in the top tax rate I am hit. Jeff bezos who makes most of his money through stock and Trump who makes most of his money through real estate don't get touched.
I'm sure you could look at the amount of capital gains made for the bottom 90% and increase the rate after that. That's where you would start penalizing people who make money from the system and from ownership rather than their direct work output. As is, the top tax rate is primarily targeted against people like tech industry, medicine, and the upper echelon of lawyers. Yes we are high paid, but I don't make a dollar unless I'm working. And I work a lot.

And yes there's a grotesque wealth disparity and I think it's always wrong to mention tax payment disparity without mentioning wealth disparity. I also think it really covers up the gross abuse of the system acting like somebody who makes $400,000 a year off a skilled trade is the same thing as somebody making 10 or 20 or 100 million or a billion or a hundred billion off of stock ownership. The latter is where you see income go up and tax rate go down.

M

member 1013

The economics of medicine mean that I pay a ton of taxes even being in private practice.
I paid significantly less taxes in my private LLC in the past. The secret to being rich with low taxes is to have an LLC where you can take stock or distributions... and be in real estate. The tax code significantly incentivizes these two areas.

I am a high paid W-2 despite having a private practice that allows me to put a very limited amount of stuff through my business expenses. That means every time there's an increase in the top tax rate I am hit. Jeff bezos who makes most of his money through stock and Trump who makes most of his money through real estate don't get touched.
I'm sure you could look at the amount of capital gains made for the bottom 90% and increase the rate after that. That's where you would start penalizing people who make money from the system and from ownership rather than their direct work output. As is, the top tax rate is primarily targeted against people like tech industry, medicine, and the upper echelon of lawyers. Yes we are high paid, but I don't make a dollar unless I'm working. And I work a lot.

And yes there's a grotesque wealth disparity and I think it's always wrong to mention tax payment disparity without mentioning wealth disparity. I also think it really covers up the gross abuse of the system acting like somebody who makes $400,000 a year off a skilled trade is the same thing as somebody making 10 or 20 or 100 million or a billion or a hundred billion off of stock ownership. The latter is where you see income go up and tax rate go down.
What skilled tradesman that doesn’t own a company with several employees so you know that makes 400k a year?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
What skilled tradesman that doesn’t own a company with several employees so you know that makes 400k a year?

The aforementioned. Doctors, lawyers, tech. Add in 150-200k (still significantly more than the average populous) and you pick up sales, certain engineers, and more.

I said skilled trade as in a skilled work output not simply ownership. I didn't say skilled blue collar tradesmen.

Again the thing that differentiates all of this from the rich through stock/real estate is that the latter can make the same gross income of 100 or 200 or 400k instead of an effective tax rate of 30% it will be 10-15%. The point is those mechanisms represent where you find significant wealth and tax disparity

M

member 1013

The aforementioned. Doctors, lawyers, tech. Add in 150-200k (still significantly more than the average populous) and you pick up sales, certain engineers, and more.

I said skilled trade as in a skilled work output not simply ownership. I didn't say skilled blue collar tradesmen.

Again the thing that differentiates all of this from the rich through stock/real estate is that the latter can make the same gross income of 100 or 200 or 400k instead of an effective tax rate of 30% it will be 10-15%. The point is those mechanisms represent where you find significant wealth and tax disparity
Holy shit those are professions not trades u dork

M

member 1013

Splinty @Splinty

TRADE: A skilled job, typically one requiring primarily manual skills and special training. PROFESSION: A calling requiring specialized knowledge and often long and intensive academic preparation with continued learning during the practice of the profession.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I
Splinty @Splinty

TRADE: A skilled job, typically one requiring primarily manual skills and special training. PROFESSION: A calling requiring specialized knowledge and often long and intensive academic preparation with continued learning during the practice of the profession.
Also...

The business or work in which one engages regularly : OCCUPATION

You guys don't have a monopoly on the word trade describing the work you do. And while I understand the connotation that you're trying to go after it's not the point of my entire statement already explained to you.

Feel free to replace the word trade with occupation as is a synonym since it gets your goat so much.

M

member 1013

I

Also...

The business or work in which one engages regularly : OCCUPATION

You guys don't have a monopoly on the word trade describing the work you do. And while I understand the connotation that you're trying to go after it's not the point of my entire statement already explained to you.

Feel free to replace the word trade with occupation as is a synonym since it gets your goat so much.
I don’t do trade work

I’m a professional like you

both professions and trades are occupations

never refer to yourself as a skilled tradesman again. Thank you.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I just threw my Pillsbury in the trash.

M

member 3289

I don’t do trade work

I’m a professional like you

both professions and trades are occupations

His range of vocabulary is shamefully limited.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016

Agree with everything you said.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Oh okay, you weren't being a smug trolling prick. Actually you were honestly wanting to engage in an on-topic discussion where you would respond to the points that I made, and defend the statements that you made.

That better?

??
Do you think it's better?