General The Supreme Court has overturned Roe vs Wade.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Approve of federally-protected access to legal abortion being overturned?

• Yes, it's murder

• No, it's a woman's right to choose

• But what about Hunter Biiiiiiiiiiiiiden

Results are only viewable after voting.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
nuraknu @nuraknu

What does it do? It provides the AG the power to initiate a civil case if a healthcare provider denies access to contraception or contraception information.

do you see why people opposed to abortion would vote against it? Do you see the potential for abuse if an AG decided to go after doctors or health providers that are opposed to (or have unpopular views regarding) contraception?

It's law that compels speech, and I'm not sure which enumerated power this falls under in the US Constitution.
I think either you or I misread it. None of the civil actions listed are against health care providers. Which line are you referring to?

The point of the act is that the governments don't have the right to interfere.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
The term “health care provider” means, with respect to a State, any entity or individual (including any physician, certified nurse-midwife, nurse, nurse practitioner, physician assistant, and pharmacist) that is licensed or otherwise authorized by the State to provide health care services.
The statutory rights specified in subsection (a) shall not be limited or otherwise infringed through any limitation or requirement that
(1) expressly, effectively, implicitly, or as implemented singles out the provision of contraceptives, contraception, or contraception-related information; health care providers who provide contraceptives, contraception, or contraception-related information; or facilities in which contraceptives, contraception, or contraception-related information is provided; and
(2) impedes access to contraceptives, contraception, or contraception-related information.
(a) Attorney General.—The Attorney General may commence a civil action on behalf of the United States against any State that violates, or against any government official (including a person described in section 6(c)) that implements or enforces a limitation or requirement that violates, section 4. The court shall hold unlawful and set aside the limitation or requirement if it is in violation of this Act.
(b) Private Right Of Action.—
(1) IN GENERAL.—Any individual or entity, including any health care provider or patient, adversely affected by an alleged violation of this Act, may commence a civil action against any State that violates, or against any government official (including a person described in section 6(c)) that implements or enforces a limitation or requirement that violates, section 4. The court shall hold unlawful and set aside the limitation or requirement if it is in violation of this Act.

(d) Costs.—In any action under this section, the court shall award costs of litigation, as well as reasonable attorney’s fees, to any prevailing plaintiff. A plaintiff shall not be liable to a defendant for costs or attorney’s fees in any non-frivolous action under this section.

this is a really bad law.

but it has a virtuous title and all the Republicans will vote against it....so...here come the Dems trying to raise funds...

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016

this is a really bad law.

but it has a virtuous title and all the Republicans will vote against it....so...here come the Dems trying to raise funds...
You're implying it's going to be twisted into healthcare providers being treated as representatives of the State government?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
You're implying it's going to be twisted into healthcare providers being treated as representatives of the State government?
private citizens can sue doctors for restricting access to contraception information. Activists can bankrupt physicians or nurses.

Can a doctor ethically say that abstinence is the only form of contraception that they'll prescribe for a patient?

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
private citizens can sue doctors for restricting access to contraception information. Activists can bankrupt physicians or nurses.

Can a doctor ethically say that abstinence is the only form of contraception that they'll prescribe for a patient?
The two civil actions listed are ok to be brought against States. Are you implying that it will be twisted so that healthcare providers are treated as representatives of the State?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
The two civil actions listed are ok to be brought against States. Are you implying that it will be twisted so that healthcare providers are treated as representatives of the State?
it literally says that in the definition of "healthcare provider".

"with respect to the the State, any..."

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
it literally says that in the definition of "healthcare provider".

"with respect to the the State, any..."
That just means, in the context of a particular state which would grant a license to practice in that state. That isn't section 6c.

(c) Other Individuals Considered As Government Officials.—Any person who, by operation of a provision of Federal or State law, is permitted to implement or enforce a limitation or requirement that violates section 4 shall be considered a government official for purposes of this Act.

Does a license to practice make a doctor a government official? Idk.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
There's nothing in the Act I don't think that says that anyone has to provide anything, just that no one is allowed to stop someone from providing, or stop someone from obtaining. It sounds like you're taking the idea that you can't make a rule that people can be stopped from obtaining contraception that providers have to have it to provide.

That doesn't really make sense because the definition of health care provider includes like, podiatrists?

(4) Health care provider.--The term ``health care
provider'' means, with respect to a State, any entity or
individual (including any physician, certified nurse-midwife,
nurse, nurse practitioner, physician assistant, and pharmacist)
that is licensed or otherwise authorized by the State to
provide health care services.

But people do stuff that doesn't make sense all the time so will be interesting to see how it's interpreted by the courts

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
There's nothing in the Act I don't think that says that anyone has to provide anything, just that no one is allowed to stop someone from providing, or stop someone from obtaining. It sounds like you're taking the idea that you can't make a rule that people can be stopped from obtaining contraception that providers have to have it to provide.

That doesn't really make sense because the definition of health care provider includes like, podiatrists?

(4) Health care provider.--The term ``health care
provider'' means, with respect to a State, any entity or
individual (including any physician, certified nurse-midwife,
nurse, nurse practitioner, physician assistant, and pharmacist)
that is licensed or otherwise authorized by the State to
provide health care services.

But people do stuff that doesn't make sense all the time so will be interesting to see how it's interpreted by the courts
that's the issue, it's easily interpreted in a manner that can be abused. The provision that defendants have to pay the plaintiff, and not vice versa, is bad law.

but it's silly to post "look at all the EVIL REPUBLICANS voting against the SAFE BABY LOVE KISSES Act!!!!"

it's fundraising, and it's what's wrong with the federal legislature.

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
that's the issue, it's easily interpreted in a manner that can be abused. The provision that defendants have to pay the plaintiff, and not vice versa, is bad law.

but it's silly to post "look at all the EVIL REPUBLICANS voting against the SAFE BABY LOVE KISSES Act!!!!"

hot damn we agree

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016

The provision is that the defendant has to pay costs for a prevailing plaintiff - in other words, litigation costs are the minimum awarded to a plaintiff that wins a case.

Defendants being awarded fees in specifically suits found to be frivolous is a standard set by the Supreme Court I think, so it's not special to this bill. It's not a "gotcha" or whatever.

I have mixed feelings about it. I understand how it seems like someone can have their life ruined by someone else, but at the same time a regular working class person should be able to bring a non-frivolous genuine case against a state and also not have to suffer abuses, so hard to say which way it should go.

For now I'm fine seeing how it plays out with it this way.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
The provision is that the defendant has to pay costs for a prevailing plaintiff - in other words, litigation costs are the minimum awarded to a plaintiff that wins a case.

Defendants being awarded fees in specifically suits found to be frivolous is a standard set by the Supreme Court I think, so it's not special to this bill. It's not a "gotcha" or whatever.

I have mixed feelings about it. I understand how it seems like someone can have their life ruined by someone else, but at the same time a regular working class person should be able to bring a non-frivolous genuine case against a state and also not have to suffer abuses, so hard to say which way it should go.

For now I'm fine seeing how it plays out with it this way.
i think you're misreading the part about "the State"...this isn't just about AGs going after State actors...it's literally anyone with a license or certification issued by a State.