General Thoughts on Georgia shooting?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Even if they did recognize him as a suspect, Georgia has been pretty hard on people who try to make a Citizen's Arrest with force.

T

The Big Guy

just the term 'clean shoot' is dehumanizing and gross. They shot a guy in the street in a situation where Law Enforcement had not asked them to make an arrest. They're way out in the margins already.

they did not have immediate knowledge of the crime, because they had not witnessed the crime.

They were not making a legal (or moral, IMAO) citizen's arrest.
Apparently it was legal if multiple DAs had no intrest in criminal charges. Your not a district attorney, your a crying liberal on a mma forum.

Know your place.

I'm awaiting your "but the DA wuz rassis" without a fucking shred of proof

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
they say he 'matched the description' of someone who had been burglarizing homes in the area. As I understand it, they were unarmed when they saw him, armed themselves, and them instituted a chase in their truck.

and you saw the video of what happened next.
But I read an article that maybe a min or 2 before that happened someone saw someone matching his description leaving a house that was being built. And if citizens arrests are legal, whether you and I like it or not, because I don't, then maybe they were in the right. I'm very curious to know exactly how they got involved in it and if they actually saw him running from the house.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Apparently it was legal if multiple DAs had no intrest in criminal charges. Your not a district attorney, your a crying liberal on a mma forum.

Know your place.

You're spelling "you're" wrong. I'm going to citizen's arrest you and turn you in to the grammar police.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

Know your place.

you mean the DAs that recused themselves because of prior relationships with the accused?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Can you provide more information on this?
couple years ago they ruled that a person who chased down a guy he thought he recognized as a burglar and beat him with a bat wasn't using legally-justified force for a Citizens Arrest.

T

The Big Guy

you mean the DAs that recused themselves because of prior relationships with the accused?
No I'm talking about the ones it was transferred too. They did it the right way and had another DA go over the case to make sure that there was no conflict of intrest. That's a district attorney with no prior relationship with the two men. Still the same result. Clean shoot.

That's why I said that keyword of "multiple DAs"

T

The Big Guy

Yea but do you have a source for that?
It doesn't matter if he does. No two cases are the same

The case were discussing involves a suspected criminal trying to take the gun from an armed citizen making a citizens arrest. If he were to take that gun he would put the lives of everyone around him in jeopardy. It was lawful to shoot him to prevent him from taking the deadly weapon while fleeing from a crime he just committed

It's not a great look for anyone but the right people survived a dangerous encounter.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015

The case were discussing involves a suspected criminal trying to take the gun from an armed citizen making a citizens arrest. If he were to take that gun he would put the lives of everyone around him in jeopardy. It was lawful to shoot him to prevent him from taking the deadly weapon while fleeing from a crime he just committed

It's not a great look for anyone but the right people survived a dangerous encounter.
I agree no 2 cases are the same, but surely it does help set a legal precedence.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Yea but do you have a source for that?
no, not finding it in the caselaw search.

but I did find where a convenience store clerk shot a guy breaking in to the storage building, and claimed it was a citizens arrest. but that was a big Nope from the State Supreme Court

T

The Big Guy

I agree no 2 cases are the same, but surely it does help set a legal precedence.
If he hit him with a bat to lay him down that's illegal. If the burglar tried to attack him that's a huge difference and he would be allowed to defend himself with the bat. At least under fl law

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
If he hit him with a bat to lay him down that's illegal. If the burglar tried to attack him that's a huge difference and he would be allowed to defend himself with the bat. At least under fl law
Fair points.

T

The Big Guy

no, not finding it in the caselaw search.

but I did find where a convenience store clerk shot a guy breaking in to the storage building, and claimed it was a citizens arrest. but that was a big Nope from the State Supreme Court
Thats the opening scene to the movie felon. Your probably just confused again. He chases a cholo and whacks him with a bat.

"A loving husband and father finds his life transformed into a waking nightmare when he accidentally kills a burglar. Sentenced to spend three years in a maximum security prison.."

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

what matters is what was known to the killers when they attempted to enact a citizens arrest. That will determine if the citizens arrest was lawful, and if it wasn't, your heroes go to jail.

the other thing that matters is if the use of force was justified by the circumstances. That's a little fuzzier, but the video is more than "not a good look". They rolled up on a guy point firearms at him, it won't matter if the firearm was illegal, because they're attempt to stop him had nothing to do with them suspecting him of being a felon in possession...but none of that matters if the citizens arrest wasn't lawful.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
who initiated lethal force in the case we're discussing?