Cinema Top 10 Movies (2000-2009)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
If you're reading this, you survived Y2K. Never forget.

(moment of silence)

Your community movie snob is back. So much to choose from in this decade. I expect all our lists to be very different and I am looking forward to mocking your choices. Lets do this shit...

10. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (2004) Michel Gondry
"Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating."

This film delivers a unique take on the romance genre. The experience of watching is almost dream-like. Its trippy and confusing and you honestly dont need to completely understand whats happening to enjoy the hell out of it.

9. Lost In Translation (2003) Sofia Coppola
"The more you know who you are and what you want, the less you let things upset you."

A journey detailing two lonely people's lives and the chance meeting they encounter with one another in Japan. Murray and Johansson play their characters like real life human beings. There's never a moment where the two just throw themselves at each other, like lesser movies typically do. Their relationship is played out like it would in real life.

8. The Departed (2006) Martin Scorcese
"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me."

Scorcese brings back his gangster-crime roots in a modern day thriller in the mean streets of Boston. All star cast. Top notch acting and suspense from start to finish.

7. City of God (2003) Fernando Merielles
"It was like a message from God: Honesty doesn't pay, sucker."

You want to know what its like to grow up in the favelas of Rio? Then look no further. City of God delivers a bruising experience of the vicious spiral of violence that draws kids into a life of crime, brutality and murder.

6. Inglourious Basterds (2009) Quentin Tarantino
"You probably heard we ain't in the prisoner-takin' business, we in the killin' Nazi business. And cousin, business is a-boomin'."

I am a complete Tarantino fanboy and that doesn't stop in this decade. It's everything you can expect from one of his movies...amazing dialogue, violence, stunning visuals. Christoph Waltz's performance is something to behold.

5. The Dark Knight (2008) Christopher Nolan
"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

This is my GOAT superhero movie. It's rare to see such a large cast all have amazing performances. Heath Ledger as the Joker set the bar for villains.

4. The Wrestler (2008) Darren Aronofsky
"When you live hard and you play hard and burn the candle at both ends... in this life, you can lose everything."

Without a doubt Mickey Rourkes best performance ever. He plays an aging hero, broke and broken down yet worshiped by sentimental fans and kids. His glory days are long past, but he cannot let it go. The cinematography is top notch, filmed in the gritty,rundown locations in New Jersey to capture the depressing tone of the film.

3. The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (2001-2003) Peter Jackson
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for."

EPIC. Probably the most stunningly beautiful 8.5 hours in cinematic history. All the small details, the makeup, the costumes, the score, the scenery, etc is just on another level. Fucking EPIC.

2. No Country For Old Men (2007) Coen Brothers
"What's the most you've ever lost on a coin toss?"

The brilliance of Coen brother's films never cease to amaze me. This is probably their most serious and violent film. You need to pay careful attention to detail in this movie to truly appreciate the masterpiece that it is.

1. There Will Be Blood (2007) Paul Thomas Anderson
"I have a competition in me. I want no-one else to succeed. I hate most people."

If there ever was a movie that demands to be seen more than once, this is it. I feel fucking emotional just thinking about it. Im going to make a bold statement and tell you in this movie Daniel Day Lewis gives the greatest acting performance in the history of film. Every aspect of this film is perfect to me.

You dont like my choices?

Last edited:

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
You finally fucked it all up and bought the hype of #9 and #10.

seekntruth

#keepladyhands
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
10. The Royal Tenenbaums(2001)
9. The Smashing Machine(2002)
8. Lost in Translation(2003) <-----------------------For Splinty @Splinty ;)
7. Gangs of New York(2002)
6. Snatch(2000)
5. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou(2004)
4. The Road(2009)
3. Gran Torino(2008) <---------------------------------For Priziesthorse @Priziesthorse :p
2. Wedding Crashers(2005)
1. No Country For Old Men(2007)

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
10. The Royal Tenenbaums(2001)
9. The Smashing Machine(2002)
8. Lost in Translation(2003) <-----------------------For Splinty @Splinty ;)
7. Gangs of New York(2002)
6. Snatch(2000)
5. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou(2004)
4. The Road(2009)
3. Gran Torino(2008) <---------------------------------For Priziesthorse @Priziesthorse :p
2. Wedding Crashers(2005)
1. No Country For Old Men(2007)
Nice. Wes Anderson. You have good taste.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
How dare you
Just saying...at least you didn't go full Sean Penn with Wedding Crashers like seekntruth @seekntruth

At least we all have a lot to agree on.
In no particular order....

• The Departed -
  • City of God
  • The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
  • The Wrestler
  • No Country for Old Men
  • American Psycho
  • The Royal Tennebaums
  • There Will be Blood
  • The Dark Knight
  • Inglourious Basterds

Honorable Mention:
  • Memento - Great move making.
  • Lord of the Rings - Obviously huge epic. but not really my genre. Does big and over the top mean a great movie? I dunno.
  • Let the right one In - This is one of the best horror movies. Really great mix of horror with intelligent story telling.
  • Man on Wire - The best documentary of the decade.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Just saying...at least you didn't go full Sean Penn with Wedding Crashers like seekntruth @seekntruth

At least we all have a lot to agree on.
In no particular order....

• The Departed -
  • City of God
  • Dark Knight
  • The Wrestler
  • No Country for Old Men
  • American Psycho
  • The Royal Tennebaums
  • There Will be Blood
  • The Dark Knight
  • Inglourious Basterds

Honorable Mention:
  • Memento - Great move making.
  • The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - Great movie making
  • Lord of the Rings - Obviously huge epic. but not really my genre. Does big and over the top mean a great movie? I dunno.
  • Let the right one In - This is one of the best horror movies. Really great mix of horror with intelligent story telling.
  • Man on Wire - The best documentary of the decade.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
LOL, I liked the dark knight so much I put it twice...editing..

Get a chance to further fellate Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck

But really, Assassination of Jess James... is one of those well done movies that just didn't get the attention it should have. It probably shouldn't TOP any list, but it doesn't have any bad part about it. Great story, shot amazing, a couple great actors turning in strong performances..

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Splinty @Splinty
Man on Wire is fucking awesome. Highly recommend to those who have not seen it. Very inspiring.
I love Memento. That and The Prestige were close to making my top 10.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Splinty @Splinty
Man on Wire is fucking awesome. Highly recommend to those who have not seen it. Very inspiring.
I love Memento. That and The Prestige were close to making my top 10.
We need to do two lists that aren't decade focused:

• best documentaries... its hard to lump documentaries in with usual movie making
  • best guilty pleasure movies. What are the Top 10 movies that you know aren't classically great film making, but holy shit they have just been burned into your psyche because of age or society or whatever... Do you watch Taken every time it comes on Sunday afternoon? The Rock? Fucking hell, of course you do.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
10. Burn After Reading

18991610[1].jpg

9. Sin City

Rosario-Dawson-1[1].jpg

8. Gladiator

Gladiator_6L[1].jpg

The Dark Knight

885630-1new_joker_poster_for_the_dark_knight[1].jpg

6. Oldboy