IMG/GIF Various Maps of Syria/Iraq

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 3289

Airport recaptured. Darkened and pink areas in above map now in Iraqi military control.

I'll post a better control map pic when one becomes available

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Raqqa

Or you mean in Iraq?

After Mosul rid the rest of the country of the small pockets of ISIS.

Then the Sunnis and Shiites can go back to hating each other.
There are Sunni's fighting against ISIS, hopefully they can bridge the gaps after this conflict and at least return to some semblance of peace after almost 15 years of conflict in one form or another. Also some of the PMU's have promised to fight ISIS in Syria.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Watching middle east territorial power shifts is like watching the OJ trial.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Watching middle east territorial power shifts is like watching the OJ trial.
I guess, if you add in a bunch of arseholes who periodically turn up and shoot the shit out of the court room before leaving with the front bench and the judge's gavel.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
SDF forces (apparently all Arab fighters, though the SDF is 80-90% Kurdish) were dropped behind enemy lines by US helicopters in order to fight for control of the Tabqa Dam, which supplies water to Raqqa, the de-facto ISIS capital in Syria.

IS conflict: Syria force pauses assault for dam checks - BBC News
ISIS destroyed the controls for the dam. There are some questions about whether the dam will hold. I think it's likely it will, but some were questioning it.

M

member 3289

ISIS destroyed the controls for the dam. There are some questions about whether the dam will hold. I think it's likely it will, but some were questioning it.
Have you read this:

Although the coalition estimates that about 60% of the SDF's fighters are Arabs, the force is led by the Kurdish Popular Protection Units (YPG) militia.

This has caused trouble for the US with a major ally, Turkey's government. It considers the YPG an extension of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), which is banned in Turkey and is designated a terrorist group by the US and EU.

In response, the US has pledged to support only Arab groups within the SDF

I find it funny because I remember reading less than a year ago that the SDF had 30,000 fighters, 25,000 of which were Kurdish YPG.

I also highly doubt the US has stopped supporting Kurdish elements of the SDF. From the beginning the alliance, during the siege of Kobane in October 2014, America has been working closely with the YPG because, frankly, they're the only rebel group in Syria that had the balls to confront ISIS.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Have you read this:

Although the coalition estimates that about 60% of the SDF's fighters are Arabs, the force is led by the Kurdish Popular Protection Units (YPG) militia.

This has caused trouble for the US with a major ally, Turkey's government. It considers the YPG an extension of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), which is banned in Turkey and is designated a terrorist group by the US and EU.

In response, the US has pledged to support only Arab groups within the SDF

I find it funny because I remember reading less than a year ago that the SDF had 30,000 fighters, 25,000 of which were Kurdish YPG.

I also highly doubt the US has stopped supporting Kurdish elements of the SDF. From the beginning the alliance, during the siege of Kobane in October 2014, America has been working closely with the YPG because, frankly, they're the only rebel group in Syria that had the balls to confront ISIS.
What source is making that claim? Anyway, it's not true, Kurds have had U.S. air support since Kobane in 2014.

Last edited:
M

member 3289

What source is making that claim? Anyway, it's not true, Kurds have had U.S. air support since Kobane in 2014.
It was bbc, but I looked it up and it appears to be some kind of facade the US is putting on to appease Turkey by saying it only gives weapons to Arab elements of the SDF. I doubt it's true anyway, but I'll get back to the maps and try not to derail this thread.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
It was bbc, but I looked it up and it appears to be some kind of facade the US is putting on to appease Turkey by saying it only gives weapons to Arab elements of the SDF. I doubt it's true anyway, but I'll get back to the maps and try not to derail this thread.
That was true up until a few months ago, as far as I know. Since then the U.S. has provided a lot more military supplies and vehicles to the SDF and I don't know how they were distributed. However, I think it would be naive to believe that even if the U.S. are only supplying weapons to the Arab elements, that some of those weapons haven't found their way into Kurdish soldier's hands.