Viperz Venom #7 UFC Fight Night 85 Breakdown & Predictions

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Did you enjoy the Thoughts From The Hat portion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ViperzVenom

Analysis & Predictions
Jan 14, 2016
Hello again and welcome to another episode of Viperz Venom! I'm so happy to be back bringing you my breakdown for UFC Fight Night 85. Now, because I'm always striving to bring you new things I have decided that I'm going to try something completely different for this episode to see if you guys like it. After each breakdown and fight pick I will be giving my good friend's opinion on that particular fight as well. So I hope you guys like to added feature of a second opinion! Without further ado, here we go!

Alan Patrick 12-1 vs Damien Brown 15-8

A great opportunity for Brown here, coming in on less than a weeks notice to make his UFC debut against the force that is Alan Patrick. Patrick has the skills everyone hoping for that highlight reel knockout looks for in a fighter. Even though Brown is looking to upset Patrick on a weeks notice, it's just not plausible here. Patrick has 6 inches of reach on Brown and has had a full fight camp.

Pick: Alan Patrick via 2nd Round KO/TKO

Thoughts From The Hat: I dont really know what to say about this fight that Viper hasn't already said. Alan Patrick looks like an absolute monster at 156, especially compared to Brown. But to form a difference in opinion, if your into that sort of thing, never doubt the insanity of the Aussies, especially in Australia.

Ross Pearson 20-10 vs Chad Laprise 11-1

My thoughts on this fight are simple, brawler vs technician. Pearson has been a fan favorite for many years but I believe that Laprise takes this fight and wins all 3 rounds in doing so. Pearson has such a great chin I don't see Laprise putting him away but I see an easy decision win for him here.

Pick: Chad Laprise via Unanimous Decision

Thoughts From The Hat: For me its impossible to form a non-bias opinion when it comes to non-canadian fighters. Im the type of guy to stand up for my nation, and my nations fighters. Especially when its the guy who won the Aussie vs Canada season of the Ultimate Fighter show facing one of Australia's best.

Richard Walsh 9-4 vs Viscardi Andrade 18-7

Another well liked Aussie going up against a brazilian beast. This fight appears to be a tight matchup on paper but the truth is it really comes down to what Richard Walsh shows up tomorrow night. Will we see the flashes of greatness he had in the Ultimate Fighter house? Or will we see the Richard Walsh who put on less than stellar preformances against guys he shouldve walked over? For me it's about proven commodity and here Walsh doesn't have that piece of the puzzle for me.

Pick: Viscardi Andrade via Unanimous Decision

Thoughts From The Hat: The big thing that stands out for me is the injury that Andrade sustained. Most athletes never come back from that type of double break. Though he looks in great shape its hard to stand behind a fighter who has went through an injury like that.

Leslie Smith 7-6-1 vs Rin Nakai 16-1-1

8 inches of height and a 6 inch reach advantage goes to Smith in this contest which usually would be enough to have me pick her to win, that is not the case with this fight. Nakai is a destroyer looking to put another win on her already impressive record. I see Nakai taking her first opportunity to end this fight via submission and I see that opportunity coming in the 1st round.

Pick: Rin Nakai via 1st Round Submission

Thoughts From The Hat: I feel like something thats working really well in womens mma right now is elite submission grapplers. Nakai is a tank, explosive things come in small packages. Oh and by the way, did anyone catch Leslie Smith's cameltoe?

Daniel Hooker 13-6 vs Mark Eddiva 6-2

Somebody is going to sleep in this fight! Hooker is the favorite here by leaps and bounds. A guy who can switch stances without giving up any technique, speed, or accuracy whatsoever and with nearly 20 fights has had only 2 decisions. I expect Hooker to keep his distance and pick Eddiva apart until he can't handle it anymore. Either Hooker will hurt him badly enough to swarm or hop on Eddiva's back for a RNC.

Pick: Daniel Hooker via 2nd Round KO/TKO

Thoughts From The Hat: Judging based on the condition of the fighters at the weigh ins I give my vote to the prior Olympian. Eddiva comes from an elite world of very hard very fast striking. We are talking about a style that pulls of some of the coolest most intricate moves in all of martial arts. Hooker looks like his body is very uncomfortable at this weight. Eddiva will be the faster, stronger fighter come tomorrow night.

Brendan O'Reilly 6-1 vs Alan Jouban 12-4

The truth here is the UFC up until this point have been feeding O'Reilly guppy's to boost his record for a fight just like this. This is the end of the line for him though as he has run directly into the world class striking artist that is Alan Jouban. O'Reilly's only saving grace in this fight would be his takedowns if Jouban hadn't been working on them day and night since before his last fight. Jouban exposes O'Reilly for the less than talented chump he is here in devasting fashion.

Pick: Alan Jouban via 1st Round Murder (KO/TKO)

Thoughts From The Hat: What was with those hats boys? I've seen fighters do some weird things at the weigh ins before but hats? Anyways, I couldn't agree with Viper more here. He's got this one spot on, enough said.

Bec Rawlings 6-4 vs Seohee Ham 16-6

At straw weight grappling becomes even more important, especially when the grappler of these two women is fighting someone who has no striking finishes on her record. Rawlings should be able to bully a submission win here but don't overlook Ham, she's a veteran of 22 fights and knows her way around a cage. I still think Rawlings gets it done, I just think she'll have to work for it.

Pick: Bec Rawlings via 2nd Round Submission

Thoughts From The Hat: Ham has a history of controlling her opponents for 3 rounds and taking punishment to persevere for a decision victory. Something tells me she will enjoy top game for most of this fight and will thwart all submission attempts that Rawlings can throw at her. I say Ham takes a decision here.

James Te Huna 18-8 vs Steve Bosse 10-2

Te Huna is another one of those fighters that just shows flashes of greatness only to let down everyone who has followed his career down. Bosse on the other had has destructive stoppage wins that seem to come from nowhere. Both men are gonna swing till someone drops. Want a pick for this one? Flip a coin.

Pick: James Te Huna via 1st Round KO/TKO

Thoughts From The Hat: Good chance someone hits the dirt. Alot of people underestimate just how tough NHL enforcers are. Both guys have the experience and skills to knock each other out. Again I'm agreeing with Viper. Flip a coin.

Dan Kelly 10-1 vs Antonio Carlos Junior 6-1

Kelly's age is a factor here for sure. Antonio Carlos Junior takes another old dog and puts him to sleep snuffing out the 38 year old Kelly's UFC career with what will undoubtedly be a boring decision win.

Pick: Antonio Carlos Junior via Unanimous Decision

Thoughts From The Hat: Judo Olympian vs World Champion Jujitsu. Their grappling though different nearly cancels itself out here so we should see a stand up war. In that regard I give the edge to Carlos Junior.

Jake Matthews 10-1 vs Johnny Case 22-4

The inexperience of Matthews shows here even at the weigh ins. The odds makers and a large portion of hardcore mma enthusiasts give the overwhelming edge to Case here. Case is very flashy and even though you can tell he is one of those arrogantly cocky pricks, hes very good at what he does. Case strikes his way to a decision win here and Matthews gains alot of respect for staying in the fight until the end.

Pick: Johnny Case via Unanimous Decision

Thoughts From The Hat: I think that Jake Matthews is a strong young fighter, I just don't think he has the experience to stop Johnny Case. An amazing win streak and crazy high confidence makes Matthews the 13th straight knotch on Johnny Case's belt.

Hector Lombard 34-4-1 vs Neil Magny 17-5

Lombard is coming off of his one year suspension and is very hungry to get back in there and prove his dominance. Magny on the other hand has the worst style for a guy like Lombard to deal with, a 9 inch reach advantage for a master of the make you pay for everything style, Magny has could end the night quickly for Lombard here and I expect he will.

Pick: Neil Magny via 1st Round KO/TKO

Thoughts From The Hat: First of all cage rust should play a massive role in this fight. Magny looked very strong in his last fight and puts up an incredible pace that Lombard won't be able to handle. Magny weathers the early storm and makes Lombard pay the rest of the fight for gassing out.

Mark Hunt 11-10-1 vs Frank Mir 18-10

Okay, I'm really not going to tell you anything you don't already know here so why should I even try. Blah blah blah Hunts power, blah blah blah Mir's submissions, blah blah blah you get the idea. Frank Mir said he has been training leg locks for this fight and with a huge reach advantage Mir only has to engage when he wants to. Frank gets Hunt to the mat and taps him in the 3rd round.

Pick: Frank Mir via Submission in the 3rd Round

Thoughts From The Hat: This is a hard fight for me to call one way or the other because Ive followed both of these guys for years and I have an amount of respect for both of them. What I want to happen and what I think will happen are very different things. So lets just stick with what I want to happen and we'll leave it at that. I want Hunt to throw that signature overhand and crumble Mir into a pile of crap.

Well thank you guys so much for reading and again please don't forget to leave me some feedback telling me if the new addition was a good idea or any other constructive criticism. Until next time.

Ghost Bro

Wololo ~Leave no turn unstoned
Nov 13, 2015
Pretty cool.

Though I don't think Rin Nakai is beating anybody bro.

ViperzVenom

Analysis & Predictions
Jan 14, 2016
Pretty cool.

Though I don't think Rin Nakai is beating anybody bro.
I guess we'll see. Alot of underdogs have been very surprising lately. That trend isn't going to just stop. Maybe Nakai loses but if she does look for another upset on this card.

Ghost Bro

Wololo ~Leave no turn unstoned
Nov 13, 2015
I guess we'll see. Alot of underdogs have been very surprising lately. That trend isn't going to just stop. Maybe Nakai loses but if she does look for another upset on this card.
In all fairness the Miesha fight was a tough start..but she didn't really show anything and was built up to possibly face Ronda, undefeated etc, but then if you look at it closer some of her matches in japan were...suspect.

I agree with most of your picks though.

Viper& The Hat is a pretty cool format.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Bec Rawlings 6-4 vs Seohee Ham 16-6

At straw weight grappling becomes even more important, especially when the grappler of these two women is fighting someone who has no striking finishes on her record. Rawlings should be able to bully a submission win here but don't overlook Ham, she's a veteran of 22 fights and knows her way around a cage. I still think Rawlings gets it done, I just think she'll have to work for it.

Pick: Bec Rawlings via 2nd Round Submission

Thoughts From The Hat: Ham has a history of controlling her opponents for 3 rounds and taking punishment to persevere for a decision victory. Something tells me she will enjoy top game for most of this fight and will thwart all submission attempts that Rawlings can throw at her. I say Ham takes a decision here.
Are you taking Ham or Bec here?