Listen What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Thank you!! We saw them on New Year's Eve, great show!
any particular song you liked?...I listened to 3 in a row off your recommendation
you can just copy the Url address of any youtube video and paste it here and it pops up...pretty easy

YourDaddyDevilAndLord

Dec 9, 2018
The first EP has a few covers, Boris The Spider, Court Of The Crimson King and Astronomy Domine. The First album that Amethyst Realm is on, which I love, has the title track, South of Reality, Little Fishes and Boriska as highlights.

psychicdeath

Jan 21, 2015
Dave's Song of the Day

Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) – The First Edition

Monday song of the day: Today’s song was a psychedelic rock song that was the first hit for a band fronted by a singer who went on to be a country music icon.

Today most people think of Kenny Rogers as a 1970s and 1980s singer of cheesy country novelty songs like The Gambler and Coward of the County or sappy country ballads like Lady. He started his music career in the late 1950s singing jazz, then joined the folk music group the New Christy Minstrels in the early 1960s. In the late 1960s he was the lead singer and bass player for the rock group The First Edition.

The First Edition’s second single was a psychedelic song called Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In). The song was written by singer/songwriter Mickey Newbury and was a description of an LSD trip, as well as a warning against using the drug. The song was first recorded by Jerry Lee Lewis in May 1967. The Lewis version was more of a country arrangement. Although recorded in May, his version was not released until November 1967. A group called Terry Hill and The Southern Soul released a version a month before Lewis.

The version recorded by The First Edition was a psychedelic pop/rock arrangement, complete with some sections created by playing instrumental tracks backward. It was released as a single in January 1968, and became a hit following an appearance by the First Edition on The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. Spurred on by the TV exposure, the record peaked at #5 on the Billboard Hot 100.

In July 1968, the song’s writer, Mickey Newbury, released his own version. While different from the cover by The First Edition, the arrangement had more in common with the rock of the hit record than the country version sung by Jerry Lee Lewis.

The First Edition went on to have several more hits, although the band’s musical style changed after this first hit. Gone was the psychedelic pop of Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In), replaced by a more country-rock style of later songs like Ruby, Don’t Take Your Love to Town. Kenny Rogers gradually took more control of the band, so much so that in 1969 the name was changed to Kenny Rogers and The First Edition. In 1976, he left the band to start his long and successful solo career.

The song gained a new audience in 1998, when it was used in a dream sequence in the movie The Big Lebowski.

The First Edition, January 1968

Jerry Lee Lewis, May 1967

Mickey Newbury, July 1968

The Big Lebowski, 1998

Tomorrow: Teddy bears and Barbie dolls can’t boogie down

psychicdeath

Jan 21, 2015
Dave's Song of the Day

Bootzilla – Bootsy's Rubber Band

Tuesday song of the day: Today’s song is the biggest solo hit by funk’s greatest bassist.

William “Bootsy” Collins is best known as the longtime bassist for Parliament/Funkadelic. Earlier he was part of James Brown’s backing band. He also had a solo career, often with a group of other P-Funk musicians dubbed Bootsy’s Rubber Band.

In 1978 he released the third album from Bootsy’s Rubber Band, titled Bootsy? Player of the Year. All of the songs were co-written by Bootsy and P-Funk leader George Clinton, along with other musicians on some of the songs. Clinton also shared producing credit with Collins. As such, the record definitely had a Parliament/Funkadelic aesthetic, basically fun and silly funk.

The first single off the album was Bootzilla, in which Collins created a fictional alter ego for himself. The character of Bootzilla was a toy to help introduce funk to children, a “rhinestone rock star doll.” Bootzilla urged the children “If you wanna see me boogie, all you gotta do is wind me up.”

It turned out to be Bootsy’s biggest solo hit, reaching #1 on the Billboard R&B chart. It was less successful with general pop audiences, though, and failed to make the overall Billboard Hot 100. Nevertheless, it is a fine example of late 1970s funk.

Tomorrow: Some get a kick from cocaine

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Takes my right back to Trader Vic's ;)
hah, does that place still exist in BC?

I thought they all closed, but I may just be thinking of the Texas locations. Pretty sure there used to be one in Dallas, but I think it went away years ago. I went to the Dallas location once, but that would have been 2003-ish.

megatherium

el rey del mambo
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
hah, does that place still exist in BC?

I thought they all closed, but I may just be thinking of the Texas locations. Pretty sure there used to be one in Dallas, but I think it went away years ago. I went to the Dallas location once, but that would have been 2003-ish.
Nah, it closed years ago. Was A real tiki lounge though.

Great food too ;)