Listen What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
For the first time, or the first time in a while?
well it's the first time I've specifically chosen to listen to him, obviously I've heard him on the radio or tv etc

accomplished musicians didn't really appeal to me growing up but now I can't get enough :)

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
well it's the first time I've specifically chosen to listen to him, obviously I've heard him on the radio or tv etc

accomplished musicians didn't really appeal to me growing up but now I can't get enough :)
Gotcha. I can't say I've specifically put him on loads either since I gave up acid, as awesome as he was.

psychicdeath

Jan 21, 2015
Dave's Song of the Day

I Wonder What She's Doing Tonight – Tommy Boyce & Bobby Hart

Monday song of the day: Today’s song was the biggest hit for a duo who were better known as songwriters for others than as performers.

Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart were both in Los Angeles in the late 1950s attempting to establish themselves as performers and songwriters. Boyce had written a #8 hit for Fats Domino and had co-written a #7 hit for Curtis Lee. The pair teamed up and started writing a string of hits for other artists in the 1960s, including Chubby Checker, Paul Revere and the Raiders, and most famously The Monkees. They also wrote and/or performed songs for movie and television soundtracks, including two of Dean Martin’s Matt Helm spy films, The Ambushers and Murderers’ Row, and the theme for the NBC soap opera Days of Our Lives.

They wrote numerous songs for the Monkees, including Last Train to Clarksville, (I’m Not Your) Stepping Stone, Valleri, and the theme from The Monkees TV show. While doing all of this, they also recorded as Tommy Boyce & Bobby Hart (often referred to with the shorter Boyce & Hart), releasing three albums and several singles. These included three top 40 hits, the biggest of which was I Wonder What She’s Doing Tonight, which hit #8 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. The song told of a relationship that had failed because the narrator couldn’t commit to his girlfriend and now he regrets it. The song was released in late 1967 and peaked in late February 1968. As was the normal industry practice at the time, an album was later produced to cash in on the success of the single, instead of an album coming first and singles released from that to promote album sales. In this case, the album shared the name of their hit song, being titled I Wonder What She’s Doing Tonite?. Oddly, the single used the spelling “Tonight” while the album spelled the final word “Tonite” and included a question mark that was not on the original single.

In the mid-1970s, well after The Monkees had broken up, Boyce and Hart teamed with two former Monkees, Davy Jones and Mickey Dolenz, touring and recording as Dolenz, Jones, Boyce, & Hart. The group recorded one album and toured in 1976 before breaking up.

As can be expected for songwriters associated with The Monkees, much of Boyce and Hart’s output consisted of happy, upbeat pop songs, some of which could be classified in the “bubblegum” genre. All told, as songwriters and performers, the Boyce and Hart team wrote over 300 songs, and sold over 42 million records.

They both continued to work in the music business, mostly separately but sometimes together, throughout the 70s and 80s. In 1994, Tommy Boyce committed suicide by shooting himself.

Audio

TV appearance on The Hollywood Palace, December 1967

(The host is Herb Alpert, who in addition to being a musician, was also a record company executive. Boyce & Hart were signed to A&M records, and Alpert was the “A” in “A&M”)

Tomorrow: You make the knife feel good

psychicdeath

Jan 21, 2015
Dave's Song of the Day

Don't Wanna Fall in Love – Jane Child

Tuesday song of the day: Today’s song was the only top 40 hit for an artist who was touted at the time as “the female Prince.”

In September 1989, a young singer/songwriter named Jane Child released a self-titled debut album. Her real name was Jane Hyslop, and she came from Toronto. After a brief period on a smaller label that didn’t result in her releasing any records, she signed with Warner Brothers Records, who gave her total control over her music. She wrote, produced and performed most of the album’s music on synthesizer, drums, and bass (the only music not played by Child were the guitar parts). For this amount of creative control, and the fact that her music was reminiscent of the pop/funk made by a short guy from Minneapolis, some in the music press referred to her as “the female Prince.”

At first, it seemed an apt comparison. The first single off the Jane Child album, Welcome to the Real World, was a minor hit at #49 on the Billboard Hot 100. The second single, Don’t Wanna Fall in Love, was a major hit, charting at #2 on the Hot 100. With a big hit record and a unique look for the music video age – she was an attractive young woman with braided blonde hair that reached almost to her feet and a nose ring connected to her earring with a chain – she seemed poised to become a major star.

Her 1993 follow-up album Here Not There took a different musical direction from the pop R&B of the first album and did not sell nearly as well. None of the singles charted in the United States. Warner Brothers dropped her for poor sales, and she didn’t release another album until 2001, with Surge released on the small Sugarwave label. It too failed to sell, and today she is remembered as a one hit wonder who had a lot of potential but failed to repeat her early success.

Tomorrow: You such a silly woman

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
When I moved to Winnipeg I got a job bouncing at the Pemby.

Shortly after I started there was a wake for a member of the guess who.

I worked the door while all the living members and their wives came in. Long story short, the wives got super pissed at burton singing the hits that people were calling for and made the members leave.

I was then told that i had to throw Burton Cummings out of the bar because he was hammered.

I’ll never forget that night.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
When I moved to Winnipeg I got a job bouncing at the Pemby.

Shortly after I started there was a wake for a member of the guess who.

I worked the door while all the living members and their wives came in. Long story short, the wives got super pissed at burton singing the hits that people were calling for and made the members leave.

I was then told that i had to throw Burton Cummings out of the bar because he was hammered.

I’ll never forget that night.

Wild....in a way that’s a great story!
How long ago was that?

I love the Guess Who, but from what I understand, relationships between the various members were poor.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
Wild....in a way that’s a great story!
How long ago was that?

I love the Guess Who, but from what I understand, relationships between the various members were poor.
Roughly 23 years ago.

All the wives got together in a huddle and started to shit on Burton for making the wake about him. Then they dragged their husbands in and (even though the guys seemed to be having a goood time) forced them to leave.

That night I witnessed first hand how women can rip apart a band.

psychicdeath

Jan 21, 2015
Dave's Song of the Day

Coconut – Nilsson

Wednesday song of the day: Today’s song was a novelty that was a big hit for an established singer/songwriter of more serious music.

Harry Nilsson, usually billed as just his last name, had several hits in the late 1960s and early 1970s. These included Everybody’s Talkin’, which reached #6 in 1969 after being featured in the film Midnight Cowboy, and Without You, which rose to #1 in 1971. Both of these songs also earned Grammy awards for Nilsson.

He had another top 10 hit in 1972 with the novelty song Coconut, which was the third single from his Nilsson Schmilsson album, the same album which had included the chart-topping Without You. Unlike the previous love song, Coconut was a silly little novelty song, using an exaggerated Calypso musical style. It tells the story of a woman who puts lime juice in a coconut, drinks it and then gets sick. The doctor’s prescription for her illness? More lime and coconut. Nilsson sings using four different voices for the four characters in the song, the narrator, the brother, the sister, and the doctor.

Coconut reached #8 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, and was Nilsson’s last major hit, although he had a few other songs reach the top 40 until the mid-1970s. He continued recording for several years, although his output decreased significantly after his friend John Lennon was murdered in 1980. Harry Nilsson died in 1994 of heart failure at the age of 52.

Tomorrow: That’s why I’m telling you this sorry tale

psychicdeath

Jan 21, 2015
Dave's Song of the Day

Wot – Captain Sensible

Thursday song of the day: Today’s song is a semi-rap number from a former member of one of England’s earliest punk bands.

In 1976, a group of English punks formed a band called The Damned. The Sex Pistols and a few other punk bands were formed earlier, but The Damned were the first UK punk band to release a record. That single, New Rose, was released on October 22nd, 1976, a full month before the Sex Pistols released their first record, Anarchy in the UK on November 26th, 1976.

One of the founders of The Damned was Raymond Burns, who used the stage name Captain Sensible. Over the next few years, The Damned had several UK hits, but never charted in the United States.

Starting in 1978, Captain Sensible recorded solo projects in addition to his work with The Damned. In 1982, he released the album Women and Captains First. The first single from the album, a cover of the song Happy Talk from the 1949 Broadway musical South Pacific, reached #1 in the UK. The second single was an original song called Wot.

Wot was a nonsense rap about Captain Sensible being disturbed from his sleep by a loud jackhammer. The song for some reason also mentioned Adam Ant, calling him an “ugly old pirate.” It was only a minor hit in the UK, peaking at #26. It did much better in continental Europe, placing as high as #3 in several countries. Wot made the Hot Dance Club Play chart at #24 in the United States, but failed to make the overall Billboard Hot 100 at all.

After leaving The Damned in 1984, he pursued his solo career until rejoining the band in 1996. He continues to tour with The Damned today.

Tomorrow: I just cant find the answers to the questions that keep going through my mind