Listen What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

PlatinumHands

Banned
Jan 30, 2020
i cant even listen to them after this antifa garbage they did..fitting with him having antifa arms and all

Yep, Now they work for Soros. Just like KMFDM like the rest of the big government globalist buttfucks I grew up listening to. Depressing but whatever

PlatinumHands

Banned
Jan 30, 2020
wrong thread
Funny now that they are turning the whole Russia thing on Bernie now, the funny thing is there some actual truth to Bernie being a soviet fanboy long ago. Gonna be neat to see how his followers who have been calling me a russian bot for the past 4 years react to getting called one now

psychicdeath

Jan 21, 2015
Dave's Song of the Day

Bittersweet Symphony – The Verve

Tuesday song of the day: Today’s song was the subject of a long dispute over credits for sampling an older work.

In 1997 English band The Verve released their third album, Urban Hymns. Included on the album was the song Bittersweet Symphony, which was released as a single. It proved to be a big hit, reaching #2 in the UK, and placing at #12 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart. It sold almost 1.3 million copies in the UK alone.

While Bittersweet Symphony is a fine song with an iconic video, I will be focusing on the controversy surrounding the rights to the song. Richard Ashcroft of The Verve wrote the song with a short segment of The Last Time by The Andrew Oldham Orchestra as a recurring theme in the music. The Verve duly got permission to use the sample and made arrangements to license the snippet of music for use on their record. Or so they thought.

The Andrew Oldham Orchestra was a side project of Rolling Stones manager and producer Andrew Loog Oldham, and in 1965 he made an album that consisted of instrumental covers of Rolling Stones songs called The Rolling Stones Songbook. This is the record that The Verve sampled.

They cleared the sample with Decca Records, who held the rights to the 1965 recording. Unfortunately, Decca did not hold the copyright to the music itself. That was owned by former Rolling Stones manager Allen Klein. After the song was released, Klein sued The Verve for plagiarism. Originally, the band agreed to pay Klein 50% of the royalties for Bittersweet Symphony for the use of the six notes that were repeated in the song. Once it became clear how big of a hit the song was, Klein insisted on 100% of the royalties.

For many years, The Verve made no money from their biggest hit record. Instead, all royalties went to Allen Klein, and Mick Jagger and Keith Richards received songwriting credit for Bittersweet Symphony. In 2009, Klein died and the rights became the property of his son, Jody. Ten years later, The Verve and Jody Klein reached an agreement. Ashcroft regained the rights to further royalties generated by his song, although the past royalties already paid to the Kleins would be unaffected.

Additionally, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards – who never cared about the supposed plagiarism in the first place – relinquished any claim for songwriting credit to Bittersweet Symphony. Finally in 2019, the song became the property of The Verve and Richard Ashcroft again, after more than twenty years of turmoil.

The Last Time, Andrew Oldham Orchestra, 1965

Tomorrow: I’ll remember the nights in the cool sand