Listen What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

psychicdeath

Jan 21, 2015
Dave's Song of the Day

I’m Bad, I’m Nationwide – ZZ Top

Monday song of the day: Today’s song was inspired by a blues guitarist who couldn’t drive.

In 1979, ZZ Top was a very popular band, but not the superstars they would become in the early and mid-eighties when their signature videos became MTV staples. Their sixth album, Deguello, went platinum and included the minor hit singles I Thank You and Cheap Sunglasses. One of the songs from the album that was never released as a single became popular on classic rock radio, however.

The song was I’m Bad, I’m Nationwide, and it tells of a guy living the high life, cruising down the road with a female driver. The inspiration for the song came from a friend of the band, bluesman Joey Long. Long did not have a driver’s license, so his wife Barbarella (yes, that was her real name) did all of his driving, always in a new Cadillac. The little old band from Texas embellished the situation though, adding a few more hot women to the entourage and making it more boastful, befitting the title I’m Bad, I’m Nationwide.

Tomorrow: The beat was going strong

psychicdeath

Jan 21, 2015
Dave's Song of the Day

I Love Rock ‘n Roll – The Arrows

Tuesday song of the day: The co-writer of today’s song died of the coronavirus on Sunday.

On Sunday, Alan Merrill died in New York of complications from COVID-19. He was 69 years old. He had a varied career as an actor, model, and musician, but in the United States he is best known as the co-writer of the song I Love Rock ‘n Roll, which later became a huge hit for Joan Jett.

Among other things, Merrill was the lead singer of The Arrows, an English band of the mid-1970s. Merrill was born in New York but found success mostly in England and Japan. In 1975, The Arrows released I Love Rock ‘N Roll. Merrill wrote the song with bandmate Jake Hooker as a response to the Rolling Stones’ It’s Only Rock ‘n Roll (But I Like It).

Originally, The Arrows released the song as the B-side of their Broken Down Heart single, but soon found that I Love Rock ‘n Roll was the more popular song, so the record was re-released with the sides reversed. The record did not chart, however.

While touring with The Runaways in England in the 1970s, a young Joan Jett saw The Arrows perform the song on British TV. It stuck with her and she recorded a cover version in 1979. That version was the B-side of her first single, You Don’t Own Me, but the record did not chart.

Then in 1979 she re-recorded it as the title track of Joan Jett and The Blackhearts’ 1982 debut album. (Jett had released a solo album in 1980, but this was her first with the Blackhearts.) I Love Rock ‘N Roll was released as a single, and the accompanying video received heavy play in the early days of MTV. It became a huge hit, staying at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for seven weeks.

The Arrows, 1975

TV appearance (Merrill is the main singer/bass player)

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, 1982

Joan Jett on the Dutch TV show Top Pop [Even lip synching, nobody is as cool as Joan Jett, except maybe Lou Reed]

Tomorrow: You know the rules and so do I