Listen What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

psychicdeath

Jan 21, 2015
Dave's Song of the Day

Never Gonna Give You Up – Rick Astley

Wednesday song of the day: For April Fool’s Day, today we look at a song that was a huge internet prank for a few years.

English singer Rick Astley’s first record was a duet with Lisa Carter titled When You Gonna. The record did not chart. Then in August 1987 he released his first solo single, Never Gonna Give You Up, which became a massive international hit. In the United States, it was #1 on the overall Billboard Hot 100 chart, as well as being #1 on the Adult Contemporary, Dance Club Songs, and Hot Dance Music charts. It also topped the charts in 24 other countries.

The video was very popular, and leading up to April Fool’s Day 2007, the practice of “Rickrolling” began. Rickrollong was giving a supposed link to something, either informational or entertaining, and instead of the stated content, it sent the viewer to the video for Never Gonna Give You Up. The practice remained popular for a few years, and still crops up occasionally in 2020.

Tomorrow: Though I’m feeling mighty sick

psychicdeath

Jan 21, 2015
Dave's Song of the Day

I’m Your Captain (Closer to Home) – Grand Funk Railroad

Thursday song of the day: Today’s song is actually two distinct sections combined together.

In 1970, Mark Farner, the frontman of Grand Funk Railroad wrote a song about the captain of a ship talking to his crew, possibly to stave off a mutiny. After this main section, there is another where he talks about getting closer to his home. Various recordings have called the song different titles. On the original Closer to Home album, it was credited as I’m Your Captain (Closer to Home). That was a full 10-minute version. A single was released as a 5:31 edit with the title Closer to Home, although it featured shortened versions of both sections of the song. On other live versions and re-releases, it is sometimes called just I’m Your Captain, or Closer to Home (I’m Your Captain).

Regardless of which form of the title is used, it was one of Grand Funk’s more popular songs, placing at #22 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. Musically, it was more languid and dreamlike than the more upbeat songs that followed. It was, however, the band’s first Top 40 Hit. A few years later, the #1 hit We’re an American Band established Grand Funk Railroad as a much bigger act, and several top 5 hits followed.

Tomorrow: My shaving razor’s cold and it stings

psychicdeath

Jan 21, 2015
Dave's Song of the Day

Daydream Believer – The Monkees

Friday song of the day: The lead singer of today’s song was upset that he had to record it.

Following the early success of The Beatles, a television show was created that featured the antics of a fictional American band in the same vein. That, of course was The Monkees. The series manufactured the band, and their recordings actually sold very well. In 1967, The Monkees recorded a song for their fourth album. It was not used on that album, but rather 1968’s The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees after it was already a hit single. The song was Daydream Believer, and both the band and record company executives were not confident that it would be a hit, thus the delay in releasing it.

During the recording session, Davy Jones felt that he was wasting his time recording the song, especially when it required several takes. Daydream Believer was not supposed to be the A-side of a single, but as was befitting of a song nobody had confidence in, was slated to be the B-side of Love is Only Sleeping. The master recording of that song was not ready in time, however, so instead the record company took a chance and made Daydream Believer the A-side and another song, Goin’ Down, becoming the B-side. The gamble paid off, and record was a big hit, charting at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100.

audio

Video from The Monkees TV show

Tomorrow: Some got killed in the past