Sports What caliber rifle would you use to hunt a T Rex?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 1013

I'd get in my fighter jet and launch a smart bomb at that bitch

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
Eh, no. Probably should start from some shoulder-fired rocket

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
In all seriousness. If they can ever clone dinosaurs they should do it, and put them on an island like Jurassic Park. But instead of it being a theme park, charge those big game safari hunters absurd amounts of money to go and do it. Invest that money towards conservation efforts. Win/Win.

DiSmAnTLeR

Apr 5, 2016
Lots with spears and machetes too, but it's not my first choice. Especially when the animal is bigger and infinitely more likely to try to eat me.
Ever heard of W.D.M Bell, the legendary elephant hunter? The Lee Enfield was his first choice over 200 times.

"He shot his first safari with a Lee Enfield in .303 British and the 215 grain army bullet. Thereafter he kept a ten shot Army& Navy Lee Enfield as a sort of back up and in the hope he might find ten elephants silly enough to stand around long enough for him to use the whole magazine."

"He wrote about being able to drop an elephant with a light caliber rifle if he shot it in the same place that he would have shot it with a heavy rifle and realised this fully when he saw that elephants shot with a .303 died just as quickly when shot in the same place as a .450/400 double rifle with both triggers wired together, so they went off at the same time."

it's been said so many times that it's cliche for me to even say it but.....shot placement matters so much more than calibre.

DiSmAnTLeR

Apr 5, 2016

View: https://youtu.be/tYrvUIs6Rcc

A properly thrown spear can create a brutal wound channel and a few spears on point held by hunters can repel pretty much any predator. Along with rocks and clubs, the spear basically got us to the point where we could develop better options.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Ever heard of W.D.M Bell, the legendary elephant hunter? The Lee Enfield was his first choice over 200 times.
and Fred Bear killed everything that walked God's green earth with a recurve. I also wasn't joking about the spears or machetes, but if I'm hunting a T-Rex (a fucking T-Rex!) I'm not going to intentionally under equip myself because shot placement. For perspective here's what the matchup looks like:

jason73

Auslander Raus
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
and Fred Bear killed everything that walked God's green earth with a recurve. I also wasn't joking about the spears or machetes, but if I'm hunting a T-Rex (a fucking T-Rex!) I'm not going to intentionally under equip myself because shot placement. For perspective here's what the matchup looks like:

that thing would be easily defeated by americana

jason73

Auslander Raus
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Plenty of elephants have been taken with Lee Enfields in .303 British

i got a .303 british from my grandfather when i was like 18.i shot a white tail buck and a black bear with it.great gun but heavy as fuck to pack in the bush.had it for years till my uncle pulled some indian giver bulshit and wanted it back after the old man passed away

DiSmAnTLeR

Apr 5, 2016

It's a rookie mistake to try to overcompensate a lack of marksmanship with a larger calibre. If you are unable to effectively make your shots, then you probably should leave the hunt for someone else.

DiSmAnTLeR

Apr 5, 2016
i got a .303 british from my grandfather when i was like 18.i shot a white tail buck and a black bear with it.great gun but heavy as fuck to pack in the bush.had it for years till my uncle pulled some indian giver bulshit and wanted it back after the old man passed away

Yeah. I had a cousin claim that this gun was supposed to be his. It was my uncle's. A different uncle that the cousin barely knew and it was never promised to anyone but directly gifted to my dad.

It's my gun now. Cold dead hands and all that!

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
It's a rookie mistake to try to overcompensate a lack of marksmanship with a larger calibre. If you are unable to effectively make your shots, then you probably should leave the hunt for someone else.
So it's your opinion that the .303 British is the optimal cartridge for killing a T-Rex? or elephants for that matter?

DiSmAnTLeR

Apr 5, 2016
So it's your opinion that the .303 British is the optimal cartridge for killing a T-Rex? or elephants for that matter?

Honestly, where would you have gotten that from what I said? When presented with a list of cartridges, you stated that they would be too small to effectively kill an elephant. One of the cartridges listed was 30.06, so I brought up the fact that many elephants have been taken with .303 British, a comparable but slightly less powerful round.

After that you stated that you would want a larger round and I remarked that you shouldn't make up for marksmanship with a larger calibre. Nowhere did I state that .303 British would be the optimal cartridge for killing either a t-Rex or an elephant (unless we are talking about rifles that we actually own).

W.D.M Bell did think highly of the Lee Enfield and thought it was the optimal RIFLE for elephant hunting due to it having more than adequate firepower, a ten round magazine, and it can be top fed with stripper clips. He always carried one in the hopes of finding ten elephants, which is a testament to his faith in it.

That being said, there is only one gun out there for hunting tyrannosaur. The .577 tyrannosaur!

View: https://youtu.be/wrImp-ek3

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Honestly, where would you have gotten that from what I said
Because in all your talk of its effectiveness you didn't offer an alternative. Lots of "sure it's a great choice and here's why" as oppose to "I'd rather have this, but..."

I also assumed anyone involved in this conversation would realize I didn't literally mean you couldn't kill an elephant with a 30 caliber gun. As previously stated you could use a sharp stick if you realy wanted to.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
Hilarious that you knuckleheads will literally argue about the caliber of gun to kill a T-Rex... to the point of indignancy.

DiSmAnTLeR

Apr 5, 2016
Because in all your talk of its effectiveness you didn't offer an alternative. Lots of "sure it's a great choice and here's why" as oppose to "I'd rather have this, but..."

I also assumed anyone involved in this conversation would realize I didn't literally mean you couldn't kill an elephant with a 30 caliber gun. As previously stated you could use a sharp stick if you realy wanted to.
I offered an alternative in my last post. Provided a YouTube link and everything. It's a message board. If I want to suggest a calibre, I can. If I want to critique someone else's suggestion, I will.

I literally thought you meant that you couldn't kill an elephant with a 30 cal gun. Don't know where I got that impression though...

I admire your bravado, but if you're shooting at something larger than an elephant, you probably want something at least big enough to kill an elephant.

DiSmAnTLeR

Apr 5, 2016
Hilarious that you knuckleheads will literally argue about the caliber of gun to kill a T-Rex... to the point of indignancy.[/QUOTE
I haven't even posted on this thread since March 5!

It's also hilarious when a knucklehead comes onto a thread and spouts off his opinion without truly taking stock of the situation. I've been discussing shooting elephants with a Lee Enfield. Try to keep up!

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I offered an alternative in my last post. Provided a YouTube link and everything. It's a message board. If I want to suggest a calibre, I can.
Which was long after the entire knock down, drag out endorsement of the.303 British.

I literally thought you meant that you couldn't kill an elephant with a 30 cal gun. Don't know where I got that impression though...
That's a single statement you're intentionally taking out of context. As I said in I believe my first post after that, spears and machetes also work with great success.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #ASSBLOODS
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I wouldnt shoot a trex unless it was about to commit a suicide bombing