Sci/Tech What do you say...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

is it the new Bluesmobile or what?

• Yes

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • I'm an Illinios Nazi

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
closest I come to Imperial is trace pitch and component size (0402,0201, etc)

Put me in charge and the world will go metric overnight.

Here's a time lapse showing nothing as I disconnect (mostly cut) the wires and hoses around the engine.
Enjoy. You've earned it.
:cheers:
Were you able to get the wheel off?

I went thorough a similar thing a couple days ago.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Were you able to get the wheel off?

I went thorough a similar thing a couple days ago.
I'm going to go after it tomorrow. I need to get the front suspension/engine/trans out first.

I just wanted the rims off so I could severe ties with the fabricator forever.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I'm going to go after it tomorrow. I need to get the front suspension/engine/trans out first.

I just wanted the rims off so I could severe ties with the fabricator forever.
Do you have acetylene torches?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
It's a legit question. Most guys working at home don't.
i think you just said i'm like most guys working at home.

I don't have a frame lift.
Or enough space.
That's about it.

My dad has complimented my tool collection, and calls me to borrow tools.
He's the retired maintenance supervisor for a large factory.
:)

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
So.... cut the nut off. You should be putting new studs on a resto project anyways. Why is this a multiple day issue?

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
LOL you guys
good to have you folks around
you know about big engine work and auto than I do...I appreciate that skill

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
So.... cut the nut off. You should be putting new studs on a resto project anyways. Why is this a multiple day issue?
Because I don't own the rims, and it's not really taking that long. These are new studs and hubs, which is also why I was slow to put the hot wrench on it.

Dad came over to watch football and eat brauts, so we went out to the garage and gave it a look. I was telling him that Vise-Grips/monkey wrench didn't work, and I stuck the Vise-Grips on and *crrreeeeeaaaak* the lug nut turned.

It's like the lug nut saw that I brought the old man, and just gave up.

:)

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Finished cutting out around the engine bay. Steering shaft wanted to get all HAM on me, so I had to bust out the Sawz-All. The cord on the cut-off wheel was just short of being able to rotate around the shaft, and by the time I figured that out I had burned off too much of the cut-off wheel to finish the cut. I tried a hacksaw for about 30s, LOL.

Sawz-All: the 30-06 of power tools

Next up is to support the tranny (not in the same way as SongExotic2 @Song4, no money or people are involved) and then support the weight of the car on the K-member (the thing the motor/front suspension attach to). Then unbolt the K-member from the frame, lower everything to the floor, and pick up the car. Eng/Trans stays, car goes up.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
cleared the engine bay, getting ready to do the trial fitment of the rack-and-pinion setup.

View: https://youtu.be/DX8h4wg9OSM

also some guy complained about the Charger in front of the house, citing HOA CCRs. Never seen the guy before in my life, all my neighbors know about the car and have told me it's no big deal to be there for a few weeks.

It was a Mix6APlix @Mix6APlix moment. I may start a thread.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
cleared the engine bay, getting ready to do the trial fitment of the rack-and-pinion setup.

View: https://youtu.be/DX8h4wg9OSM

also some guy complained about the Charger in front of the house, citing HOA CCRs. Never seen the guy before in my life, all my neighbors know about the car and have told me it's no big deal to be there for a few weeks.

It was a Mix6APlix @Mix6APlix moment. I may start a thread.
He's just jealous that he can't work on cars.
Tell him to go fuck himself.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Last few days have been an adventure. I need to pull off some perches from the frame, but mine is one where it's also welded to the frame snubber. So they both have to come off. It looks real easy in the video, and the instructions say that the 'poor spot welds' can be broken with a couple twists with pliers, but it was a son of a bitch to get out. I didn't set up the time-lapse, because I thought it would be 4 minutes of me drilling out plug welds. It was more like 2 hours of me drilling out plug welds, cutting welds with the cut-off wheel, beating with a hammer, cutting, beating with a sledghammer, prying, air chiseling...FUCK.

But I got it out on both sides and managed to trial fit the K-member. Drilled a couple holes to locate the spring mount, and ready to mount the rest of the steering/suspension. But first I wanted to fill-weld where I drilled out the plug welds. Not a big deal, it's just that it's a place where no one normally looks on a car (the subframe) and this one will get inspected on a regular basis. Once I told my dad I was going to be welding, he invited himself over to do it all. His first job out of HS was as a welder, so he jumped on it.

But I broke out the MIG and realized I don't have a 220 drop in this garage. Doh. So we spent a couple hours doing a 220 drop and then welded over two of the holes. There are two holes on the bottom of the frame, those are going to suck to fill upside-down. Might just get a piece of 7/16 round stock and shove it in hole and then weld/grind it.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
filled the holes left by drilling out the plug welds in the front subframe. I took a piece of 1/2" round stock, sliced off a bunch of 1/4" thick discs, and welded a piece of 3/16" round stock to the face as a handle. Then stuck the disc in the hole, welded it up, ground it down. The super thick chassis black paint will hide it enough. Just didn't want holes in the rails where water could get in.

And I loaded up the BluesMobile. It sold for what I paid to ship it down, so I'm out $2500 for everything I took off/out of it.
Kind of a pain to get it up and on the trailer, but it got done.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
next step is to fill all the sheet metal holes and tidy up the empty engine bay. Then I'll coat the chassis with black, and lay out the engine accessories around the engine bay (fuse box, ABS pump, computer, etc). Then the engine bay gets painted. I really look forward to that part.

My uncle has a 'paint guy' who is in the DuPont calendar pretty regularly. I'm going to lean on his understanding for color choices, but I think I have nice 2-tone paint scheme for the Duster. I took a walk around the GoodGuys show in Scottsdale with a friend yesterday, just getting some engine detailing and color ideas.