What manly sh!t have you done today?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
That’s a great day. For the record, I fucking hate plumbing. I can do carpentry work, drywall, concrete…but I despise plumbing.
You & I would be complimentary tradesmen. I obviously have a bit of an electrical background but plumbing was my go to skill along with welding.

I’m about the worst carpenter that’s ever walked the face of the Earth 😂

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
This was my last small copper project from a year or two back. Had been about 15yrs since I’d done any plumbing by that point.

3 valve bypass for water softener in garage. Not a big job by any means but only pic in my phone of anything I’d done lol. Little bit rusty on actual work these days but it works & doesn’t leak, so there’s that lol

1717885865857.jpeg

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Just changed the cabin filter, air filter and oil in my truck.

Did I save money? Not much to be honest.
But I know it was done right.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
Just changed the cabin filter, air filter and oil in my truck.

Did I save money? Not much to be honest.
But I know it was done right.
Sure you saved money. Most shops use bulk oil for cars/trucks, even dealerships. If you used decent oil/filter, the charge at a shop for “synthetic” plus the cabin air filter would be $200 or more.

5qt jugs of synthetic Kirkland, Supertech, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Mobile, Castrol, etc are all $17-36. Plenty of solid filters out there for $3-5 & the top shelf filters like the Fram Endurance is $13. Your cabin air filter is only $15ish.

Hell, I use VERY high end, boutique, oil & spend less than most places charge for bulk or OTC name brand oil.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Sure you saved money. Most shops use bulk oil for cars/trucks, even dealerships. If you used decent oil/filter, the charge at a shop for “synthetic” plus the cabin air filter would be $200 or more.

5qt jugs of synthetic Kirkland, Supertech, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Mobile, Castrol, etc are all $17-36. Plenty of solid filters out there for $3-5 & the top shelf filters like the Fram Endurance is $13. Your cabin air filter is only $15ish.

Hell, I use VERY high end, boutique, oil & spend less than most places charge for bulk or OTC name brand oil.
I used WIX on the filters. Mobil 1 on the oil.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
I used WIX on the filters. Mobil 1 on the oil.
Just so you’re aware, Wix was purchased by Mann a little while back. Using their old filters are great but the new ones, not so much. Similar to the Fram Ultra(gold can XG series). They used to use great media & be wire backed, no more. Amsoil used to use Donaldson Syntec media, no more. Now the Amsoil, Royal Purple & Fram Endurance line are all the exact same filters, made by Champ Labs here in the states. The Endurance is the cheapest at Walmart for $13.

FWIW, I was a Wix user for a long time prior to the buyout. When Amsoil contracted with Donaldson I preferred those as we used that same media at one of the power plants I was at. That is awesome media & if there’s a Donaldson Syntec media filter for your application, I’d highly recommend it to this day.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Just so you’re aware, Wix was purchased by Mann a little while back. Using their old filters are great but the new ones, not so much. Similar to the Fram Ultra(gold can XG series). They used to use great media & be wire backed, no more. Amsoil used to use Donaldson Syntec media, no more. Now the Amsoil, Royal Purple & Fram Endurance line are all the exact same filters, made by Champ Labs here in the states. The Endurance is the cheapest at Walmart for $13.

FWIW, I was a Wix user for a long time prior to the buyout. When Amsoil contracted with Donaldson I preferred those as we used that same media at one of the power plants I was at. That is awesome media & if there’s a Donaldson Syntec media filter for your application, I’d highly recommend it to this day.
I heard about Fram which is why I went Mobil 1.

Had not heard of WIX. I did notice that my previous Wix air filter was stamped CHINA. This new one was stamped MEXICO. Thanks for the info.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Today I bled manhood as usual.

After slicing my finger open changing the portaband blade, I decided it was healing too quick, so I smashed it with a mallot.

20240609_202230.jpg

I've decided just to leave the first aid station open permanently.

20240609_202854.jpg

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
I heard about Fram which is why I went Mobil 1.

Had not heard of WIX. I did notice that my previous Wix air filter was stamped CHINA. This new one was stamped MEXICO. Thanks for the info.
I was a big fan of M1 Euro 0/40 & 5/40 until the new SP rating. With SP, they eliminated the group v esters that added solvency to clean sludge, carbon & varnish. Had a bunch of calcium so wasn’t great for a DI engine but any MPI, TBI or carburetor setup would have been great on that oil.

If you ever see any at a Walmart or parts store & it’s rated SN or older, buy it on the spot. Hands down the best value out there, at least it was prior to the new SP stuff.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I was a big fan of M1 Euro 0/40 & 5/40 until the new SP rating. With SP, they eliminated the group v esters that added solvency to clean sludge, carbon & varnish. Had a bunch of calcium so wasn’t great for a DI engine but any MPI, TBI or carburetor setup would have been great on that oil.

If you ever see any at a Walmart or parts store & it’s rated SN or older, buy it on the spot. Hands down the best value out there, at least it was prior to the new SP stuff.
What brand oil for a 5.7 '21 Toyota engine?
Gonna change it this week.

The dealership/manual insists on some super thin oil but I disagree and want something thicker.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
What brand oil for a 5.7 '21 Toyota engine?
Gonna change it this week.

The dealership/manual insists on some super thin oil but I disagree and want something thicker.
If you’re sticking to the 5k mi oci then Valvoline Advanced synthetic (grey jug)5/30 is solid & around $26-28 for a 5qt jug.

Same price would be M1 0/30 ESP. Solid oil that still has some group v esters in it.

The valvoline has a higher HTHS so will likely not be as susceptible to shearing in and might hold up a bit better in summer if you’re in a hot area. The M1 would be a better winter choice between the

Grab either (or castrol or pennzoil), they’ll all work out well. Stepping up to a 5/40 won’t hurt anything either besides about 0.5% of mpg’s but the 5/40 M1 doesn’t have esters anymore for cleaning. The 0/30 still does, for now.

In that Toyota you could run Kirkland syn 5/30 and be fine as well

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
If you’re sticking to the 5k mi oci then Valvoline Advanced synthetic (grey jug)5/30 is solid & around $26-28 for a 5qt jug.

Same price would be M1 0/30 ESP. Solid oil that still has some group v esters in it.

The valvoline has a higher HTHS so will likely not be as susceptible to shearing in and might hold up a bit better in summer if you’re in a hot area. The M1 would be a better winter choice between the

Grab either (or castrol or pennzoil), they’ll all work out well. Stepping up to a 5/40 won’t hurt anything either besides about 0.5% of mpg’s but the 5/40 M1 doesn’t have esters anymore for cleaning. The 0/30 still does, for now.

In that Toyota you could run Kirkland syn 5/30 and be fine as well
Thanks, I will read up on those and the group v esters

I barely gets below 25f here so I don't need no thin oils since I get low gas mileage anyways, plus I tow...what is the need for better gas mileage lol

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
Thanks, I will read up on those and the group v esters

I barely gets below 25f here so I don't need no thin oils since I get low gas mileage anyways, plus I tow...what is the need for better gas mileage lol
If you’re in a hot area & towing, 5/40

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
If you’re in a hot area & towing, 5/40
I'm always towing, 2-4K lbs
Does get plenty of work in 80-95+ degree Oregon Summers

I think you are correct, that engine gets different oil in other countries as per Toyota manual
The US manual recommendation of thin oil is to get super small % MPG gain and maybe for the guys in the extreme north(Canada?) that are in super cold climates

Last edited:

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
I'm always towing, 2-4K lbs
Does get plenty of work in 80-95+ degree Oregon Summers

I think you are correct, that engine gets different oil in other countries as per Toyota manual
The US manual recommendation of thin oil is to get super small % MPG gain and maybe for the guys in the extreme north(Canada?) that are in super cold climates
I never mentioned it but yes, N. American CAFE bullshit. Nowhere else in the world does Toyota mandate 0/20 for that engine, nowhere. Same for other manufacturers as well.

You’re a perceptive future Idahoan 😂

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I took a PTO day and spent the day on the lake. Tore them the hell up. For frame of reference, that bowl is 10” in diameter.

IMG_6450.jpegIMG_6451.jpegIMG_6453.jpegIMG_6454.jpegIMG_6455.jpeg