What manly sh!t have you done today?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

theken206

Aug 14, 2024
"Building" a shed for my mom.

It's been a big chinesium hassle. I think tomorrow I need to pull the panels, re square the frame, secure it better, then finish the fucking thing.

The flimsy as fuck and it has been a mission getting that hunk of shit together properly 🤣🤣🤣

I could have framed and, sheated and sided one in half the time I have spent on this fucking thing lol.

1000010281.jpg

Fan_of_Fanboys

First 200ish
Feb 9, 2015
I haven't done it but I think I'm going to replace the windows in my house. I'm getting a few quotes for installation vs just buying the windows and installing myself

So I'll let you know if it ends up being manly or not lol. Anyone here installed replacement windows in their house before?

Vae Victis

Mar 3, 2023
"Building" a shed for my mom.

It's been a big chinesium hassle. I think tomorrow I need to pull the panels, re square the frame, secure it better, then finish the fucking thing.

The flimsy as fuck and it has been a mission getting that hunk of shit together properly 🤣🤣🤣

I could have framed and, sheated and sided one in half the time I have spent on this fucking thing lol.

View attachment 114077
What goes around the outside of the walls where the sheeting is sticking out?

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
I found out last Friday morning that my mom has terminal pancreatic and liver cancer that had spread through her body. She had multiple strokes Saturday night and was hospitalized.

She was moved to another hospital, put in palliative care and we were told that she would not make it to the weekend.

At this point she was getting pumped full of morphine, could no longer talk and been sleeping for 24 hours. I said my goodbyes on Wednesday and thought she would pass during the night. I couldn’t handle seeing her like that and left the hospital. I left crying and sat in my car for 30 min till I could drive home. I told myself that I wasn’t going back to see her like that.

Thursday I didn’t go see her because I just couldn’t deal with watching her waste away.

Turns out that she’s too fucking tough to die and made it though till today.

My family had all gone home and my dad was the only one with her. I went back to the hospital and sat with my dad so he wouldn’t be alone watching her die.

While I was there she woke up. She couldn’t talk but started crying when she heard our voices. I told my dad that this would likely be the last time she was awake and that he needed to say goodbye and I left the room. I gave him his time and then told her that I loved her and to say hello to my brother for me (he died 10 years ago). The nurse came in and gave her more morphine and she went back to sleep.

Going back to the hospital to see her like that is one of the hardest things I’ve had to do, but I couldn’t stand the thought of my dad being there by himself.

I’m now at home waiting for the call telling me that she has passed.

Sometimes, being a man and doing what you know you have to do, it fucking sucks.

Vae Victis

Mar 3, 2023
I was thinking about trimming it out with metal and doing drip edges.
You need some metal like a Z bar flashing and run it behind the wall panels if possible.
If sealed right it should prevent water damage to the OSB flooring. Id also put a moisture barrier on before the Z bar flashing to prevent damage from the metal sweating onto the OSB.you can either bend the metal Z bar yourself if you have access to a break or you may find something at HD or Lowe's that may work.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
I found out last Friday morning that my mom has terminal pancreatic and liver cancer that had spread through her body. She had multiple strokes Saturday night and was hospitalized.

She was moved to another hospital, put in palliative care and we were told that she would not make it to the weekend.

At this point she was getting pumped full of morphine, could no longer talk and been sleeping for 24 hours. I said my goodbyes on Wednesday and thought she would pass during the night. I couldn’t handle seeing her like that and left the hospital. I left crying and sat in my car for 30 min till I could drive home. I told myself that I wasn’t going back to see her like that.

Thursday I didn’t go see her because I just couldn’t deal with watching her waste away.

My family had all gone home and my dad was the only one with her. I went back to the hospital and sat with my dad so he wouldn’t be alone watching her die.

While I was there she woke up. She couldn’t talk but started crying when she heard our voices. I told my dad that this would likely be the last time she was awake and that he needed to say goodbye and I left the room. I gave him his time and then told her that I loved her and to say hello to my brother for me (he died 10 years ago). The nurse came in and gave her more morphine and she went back to sleep.

Going back to the hospital to see her like that is one of the hardest things I’ve had to do, but I couldn’t stand the thought of my dad being there by himself.

Sometimes, being a man and doing what you know you have to do, it fucking sucks.
Sorry to hear she isn't doing well. I hope you're as okay as you can be. Stay strong for your family. Peace be with you and yours.

kvr28

Ghost of KVR
Nov 22, 2015
I haven't done it but I think I'm going to replace the windows in my house. I'm getting a few quotes for installation vs just buying the windows and installing myself

So I'll let you know if it ends up being manly or not lol. Anyone here installed replacement windows in their house before?
Putting them isn't bad, it's all the trim work that sucks donkey balls

kvr28

Ghost of KVR
Nov 22, 2015

I'm sorry brother. It does suck.

theken206

Aug 14, 2024
You need some metal like a Z bar flashing and run it behind the wall panels if possible.
If sealed right it should prevent water damage to the OSB flooring. Id also put a moisture barrier on before the Z bar flashing to prevent damage from the metal sweating onto the OSB.you can either bend the metal Z bar yourself if you have access to a break or you may find something at HD or Lowe's that may work.
Ive got a couple sets of duck bills, and I did high end commercial sheet metal finish work for a few years so I'm fairly familiar the whole process fortunately lol.

Their roof system kinda sucks so I'll end of going above and beyond how they flash everything.

Their self tappers and washers suck as well so I'm breaking out real self tappers and washers.

Conveniently I've got a five gallon bucket or two filled with every fastener known to fucking man.

MountainMedic

Rock Kicker
Sep 28, 2017

I honestly feel your pain brother.
Pancreatic cancer took my grandma when I was 22. She was basically my mom for most of my childhood and 100% my best friend when I was a little guy.

It goes fast, as your witnessing. Once they diagnose it, it's already almost the end.
You did all the right things. You said your part and made sure your father got to say his.
I didn't get that with my grandfather and it's one of my biggest regrets. I got there too late...

Feel the way you need to feel, you are still manly as fuck., you'd be weird if you weren't reeling right now.

Vae Victis

Mar 3, 2023
Ive got a couple sets of duck bills, and I did high end commercial sheet metal finish work for a few years so I'm fairly familiar the whole process fortunately lol.

Their roof system kinda sucks so I'll end of going above and beyond how they flash everything.

Their self tappers and washers suck as well so I'm breaking out real self tappers and washers.

Conveniently I've got a five gallon bucket or two filled with every fastener known to fucking man.
Awesome, good luck

Thuglife13

✝👑🍕🍦🍩
Dec 15, 2018

Take care guy and be strong. Nothing hurts like losing your Momma. I'm still somewhat lost after losing my Mom a few years back and have so many regrets. Sounds like you're doing everything you can so all I can say once again is hang in there...

Walter_sobchak

Shut the fuck up Donny!
Aug 13, 2024
Worked on the landing and stairs for the side of my house. Steel framing suxks to work with and takes way longer than wood. Especially when you're doing it by yourself.

1000002815.jpg
1000002813.jpg