Zuffa denied request to restrict financials from Rob Maysey (MMAFA)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
I think some fighter pay is bad right now, not all. I'm totally fine with most of the pay outs, especially to the rookies. I feel certain top level guys - Mighty Mouse for example - should be paid more.
I would bet the UFC loses money or barely makes a profit when Mighty Mouse headlines a card. No way he should be paid more.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
History does not bear it out that unaffiliated individuals are sufficiently empowered to negotiate against management and the National Labor Relations Act gives workers the right to organize (among other legislation and judicial precedent).

Calling these issues complaints is reductive as they could also be considered violations of the Occupational Safety and Health Act since having additional corner support and adequate coverage for damages can have a direct corollary with fighter safety.

There has never in history been an industry reformed solely due to public pressure in isolation. Typically there was an organized internal movement that through direct action, legal challenges and massive public awareness campaigns was able to CREATE public furor. Unfortunately these efforts get papered over or forgotten and reduced to "public pressure" after the fact. The pressure comes from grass roots action, not just fan/product user empathy.
I think we're in an age now with this inter-web, social media, ect where it's a lot easier to put public pressure on companies and get results. Almost every day you see public outrage and companies caving under pressure to get rid of the bad publicity.

And I think I need to say that I'm not for a complete reform of the industry like a lot of you are. I'm for making some changes to the pay for fighters, not this total reformation you guys are talking about. I just can't get behind it.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
I don't have an opinion about the lawsuit. I still don't know what the hell it's about but I can recognize the people signed on to this lawsuit are disgruntled ex fighters who wouldn't be saying anything if they were still in the UFC's good graces.
A 1 step guide on how to contradict yourself in 2 sentences.

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
A 1 step guide on how to contradict yourself in 2 sentences.
And that's where you're wrong. I'm not offering an opinion on the lawsuit. I'm offering an opinion of the people signed on to it.

Being able to read is important but comprehending what you have read is just as important.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Why should they have a right to likeness rights?

And retirement packages and pensions? You're talk about a lot of money for Zuffa to suddenly start paying out.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I think we're in an age now with this inter-web, social media, ect where it's a lot easier to put public pressure on companies and get results. Almost every day you see public outrage and companies caving under pressure to get rid of the bad publicity.

There is demonstrable proof that social media pressure is not enough to make amything outside of cosmetic changes and even in instances where you see social media pressure being exerted to shift policies, there are organized movements at the helm, taking to social media as an amplification of their efforts. Despite what content mills would have you believe, social awareness campaigns rarely if ever go viral. They are spread through organized hierarchies of "influencers" and coordinated efforts with hundreds if not thousands of users.

This is one of the greatest misunderstandings about content on the web, made worse by popular media narratives of the Arab Spring and other changes that were enabled by social media, but really were bolstered by groups that had long been in existence and were organizing with boots on the ground. Digital native social change efforts have been comparatively anemic.

I can give a lot of additional reading on this if you're interested as I was a communications director for a social cause up until a year ago when I switched jobs and have also devoted a great deal of academic study to this.

Here's an article by Malcolm Gladwell on it as some entry level stuff

Small Change - The New Yorker

But for a more in depth analysis, I highly recommend Evgeny Morozov's To Save Everything, Click Here or Astra Taylor's The People's Platform.

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
Also, since some think the UFC can be run like

And retirement packages and pensions? You're talk about a lot of money for Zuffa to suddenly start paying out.
The UFC doesn't own the rights to anyone's likeness. They own the rights to all works produced by the fighter while they are under contract. I'm sick of hearing this blatant misinformation.

canofsticks

I'm just here for the rumham
Aug 4, 2015

I don't understand how you think that. So I legit can't think of a proper response to you man. The right for an athlete to have rights to his likeness is a given in today's world of professional sports. A view to the contrary is just so antiquated that its befuddling to hear.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
I don't understand how you think that. So I legit can't think of a proper response to you man. The right for an athlete to have rights to his likeness is a given in today's world of professional sports. A view to the contrary is just so antiquated that its befuddling to hear.
You started out good, but you're starting to fall apart. Be more like Kneeblock and less like ThatOneDude.

The UFC owns the rights to the works produced by the fighters (i.e. the fight). They pay them for the performance. Then the two fighters fight in the UFC's octagon, in front of UFC camera and UFC fans, in an arena rented by the UFC, broadcast on a TV deal secured by the UFC or PPV time paid for by the UFC, on an event promoted and paid for by the UFC.

Please explain to me how the UFC doesn't then own the rights to that footage?

I used this example many pages ago, but how is it different than the studio musician who is hired to play drums on a Miley Cyrus song? Once his job is complete, does he then own a part of that song, even though every time someone hears the song they hear his work? NO! When an actor is hired to star in a movie, do they then own a piece of that movie? Even though whenever someone sees the movie, they see the actor's likeness? NO! They were paid for the performance.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
There is demonstrable proof that social media pressure is not enough to make amything outside of cosmetic changes and even in instances where you see social media pressure being exerted to shift policies, there are organized movements at the helm, taking to social media as an amplification of their efforts. Despite what content mills would have you believe, social awareness campaigns rarely if ever go viral. They are spread through organized hierarchies of "influencers" and coordinated efforts with hundreds if not thousands of users.

This is one of the greatest misunderstandings about content on the web, made worse by popular media narratives of the Arab Spring and other changes that were enabled by social media, but really were bolstered by groups that had long been in existence and were organizing with boots on the ground. Digital native social change efforts have been comparatively anemic.

I can give a lot of additional reading on this if you're interested as I was a communications director for a social cause up until a year ago when I switched jobs and have also devoted a great deal of academic study to this.

Here's an article by Malcolm Gladwell on it as some entry level stuff

Small Change - The New Yorker

But for a more in depth analysis, I highly recommend Evgeny Morozov's To Save Everything, Click Here or Astra Taylor's The People's Platform.
Very interesting stuff. I will check that out when I get some time.

But I think for the changes that I want, which differ greatly from most here, public pressure and negotiation tactics work better. For the vast changes that you're talking about, I will probably have to concede that a union/lawsuit/ect is probably the best course.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
According to Fitch and his manager. Good sources.

The UFC owns the rights to all of Fitch's fights, interviews and anything else produced under the UFC banner while he was under contract with them. This is a standard contract, my friend.
They also own the rights to use a fighter's image in perpetuity according to the contract language. This includes video games, supplemental merchandise, books etc with no residuals. The video game thing was a sticking point with Koscheck, Fedor (who cited it as a reason to never sign), Randy, Fitch and older fighters like Ron Waterman and Tim Lajcik who unwittingly ended up permanently in UFC games. This is not limited to video archives nor should it be taken for granted that there won't be other ways to monetize a fighter's image with film, cgi animation, virtual reality etc while they benefit not at all.

In fact, this came up just recently when Reebok produced a Koscheck jersey even though he had specifically negotiated limitations on the UFC's ability to use his name after his contract expired. Tito Ortiz had actually been first to set this precedent and Randy famously did a deal with EA when they developed EA MMA after challenging his likeness clause.

More info on the specific contract language here:

The Business of Fighting: A Look Inside the UFC's Top-Secret Fighter Contract | Bleacher Report

canofsticks

Aug 4, 2015
You started out good, but you're starting to fall apart. Be more like Kneeblock and less like ThatOneDude.

The UFC owns the rights to the works produced by the fighters (i.e. the fight). They pay them for the performance. Then the two fighters fight in the UFC's octagon, in front of UFC camera and UFC fans, in an arena rented by the UFC, broadcast on a TV deal secured by the UFC or PPV time paid for by the UFC, on an event promoted and paid for by the UFC.

I used this example many pages ago, but how is it different than the studio musician who is hired to play drums on a Miley Cyrus song? Once his job is complete, does he then own a part of that song, even though every time someone hears the song they hear his work? NO! When an actor is hired to star in a movie, do they then own a piece of that movie? Even though whenever someone sees the movie, they see the actor's likeness? NO! They were paid for the performance.
Are you of the understanding that likeness rights are simply about the broadcast they were on? This is a woefully misinformed understanding. Please look into likeness rights to get a clearer picture. Not being rude, but that is just simply not true

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Are you of the understanding that likeness rights are simply about the broadcast they were on? This is a woefully misinformed understanding. Please look into likeness rights to get a clearer picture. Not being rude, but that is just simply not true
No, I'm aware of what it entails. If you want to degrade this into intentionally misrepresenting my view and acting like my views are so outrageous that you can't understand how someone could possibly feel that way, maybe you should go sit at the kid's table with ThatOneDude and let the grown ups talk about it.

If you want to actually have a discussion about it, why don't you tell me specifically what you hate about the current way of UFC owning the likeness. Maybe I'll even agree with you. Believe it or not, I'm not Team Zuffa. I don't have a horse in this race. I'm just giving my honest opinions.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015

Actor's act in front of production crews too, still receive residuals.

canofsticks

Aug 4, 2015
No, I'm aware of what it entails. If you want to degrade this into intentionally misrepresenting my view and acting like my views are so outrageous that you can't understand how someone could possibly feel that way, maybe you should go sit at the kid's table with ThatOneDude and let the grown ups talk about it.

If you want to actually have a discussion about it, why don't you tell me specifically what you hate about the current way of UFC owning the likeness. Maybe I'll even agree with you. Believe it or not, I'm not Team Zuffa. I don't have a horse in this race. I'm just giving my honest opinions.
lol you compared fighter likeness to actors. Which..I mean..is so off base it's confusing. I'm not going to sit here and explain everything for you. We're all adults and have access to the internet. I'll let you navigate those waters. In the meantime, I'll go ahead and be on my way from this conversation. It's getting redundant and weird. Unless you're a troll, which in that case, keep on, brah.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
lol you compared fighter likeness to actors. Which..I mean..is so off base it's confusing. I'm not going to sit here and explain everything for you. We're all adults and have access to the internet. I'll let you navigate those waters. In the meantime, I'll go ahead and be on my way from this conversation. It's getting redundant and weird. Unless you're a troll, which in that case, keep on, brah.
Translation: you've taken the kid's table option.

Cheers.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
It doesn't matter he is wrong actors do receive residuals.

Residual (entertainment industry) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
I think some fighter pay is bad right now, not all. I'm totally fine with most of the pay outs, especially to the rookies. I feel certain top level guys - Mighty Mouse for example - should be paid more.
How should Mighty Mouse get more money?

for example:

Mighty Mouse: UFC you payed me $200 000 last fight, I would like to be paid $600 000
UFC: No.
Mighty Mouse: I'm not getting paid for my likeness in video games either
UFC: Dont care
Mighty Mouse: Every time you rebroadcast one of my fights id like to get royalties
UFC: No
Mighty Mouse: How bout the dolls and merchandise you are selling with my face on it. Can i get a cut?
UFC: Nope.
Mighty Mouse: Can we share the revenue from sponsors in the cage like Harley Davidson and Fox?
UFC: Nope that's all our money too.
Mighty Mouse: Can i borrow Lorenzo's cashmere sweater to wear to a party
UFC: No. you will spill cake on it.

What should Mighty Mouse do next, in this example?

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Well sir I must concede that point, but will rest my laurels on the studio musician example.
I'm only reading now, not contributing. I just want to know how many points you have conceded in this thread since starting.