General 10 dead in Buffalo supermarket shooting

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I’ve been reading up on the internet and radicalization. From an article I read, a paragraph from the opening and the closing paragraph:

Barbara F. Walter, a Rohr Professor of International Relations at UC San Diego, did extensive research on hundreds of civil wars over the past two centuries. I recently read her book, “How Civil Wars Start and How to Stop Them” published in 2022.

There is a delicate balance between First Amendment free speech rights and protecting the general welfare — the common good. Reining in social media is a bi-partisan issue that Congress can use to unite rather than divide the nation. It is within our power to end the threat of civil war if only we have the will to act.

Summary, the only way to stop a civil war is to control social media.

Disclaimer: I’m not saying I agree with this view. I just found it interesting.
I don't think there's any question social media cranks things up, but I always look at it as something that speeds up the inevitable rather than creating a new problem.

M

member 1013

From an analysis of the manifesto...

[1] Using a relevancy score scaled from 0-1 where higher scores correspond to greater relevance in the narrative, “Jews” and “gays” produced the highest scores, 0.997 and 0.477, respectively whereas “black man” and “black” scored of 0.17 and 0.159, respectively.
still number one! whoo!

suck it other minority groups!!

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
From an analysis of the manifesto...

[1] Using a relevancy score scaled from 0-1 where higher scores correspond to greater relevance in the narrative, “Jews” and “gays” produced the highest scores, 0.997 and 0.477, respectively whereas “black man” and “black” scored of 0.17 and 0.159, respectively.
That's not a surprise. The whole racist conspiracy isn't just about black people. It's about "globalist Jews" intentionally importing anybody that's not white to destroy the white race. This guy explicitly went to the zip code near him with the most black people, but that's probably more like a byproduct that there just aren't massive Latino communities or other immigrant groups near him like there is in Texas. For instance. El Paso is like 85% Latino. I doubt that exists near him.

The gays thing is weird. Would have to melt some more of my brain reading the thing to see if it just appears as part of memes calling everyone "fags" etc.

M

member 1013

That's not a surprise. The whole racist conspiracy isn't just about black people. It's about "globalist Jews" intentionally importing anybody that's not white to destroy the white race. This guy explicitly went to the zip code near him with the most black people, but that's probably more like a byproduct that there just aren't massive Latino communities or other immigrant groups near him like there is in Texas. For instance. El Paso is like 85% Latino. I doubt that exists near him.

The gays thing is weird. Would have to melt some more of my brain reading the thing to see if it just appears as part of memes calling everyone "fags" etc.
still number one! whoo!

suck it other minority groups!!

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Every political post he makes is an idiotic joke. That's actually what makes him a moron clown. ?

??
There's an interesting cycle that seems to only occur from left-leaning members. They show up insult everybody. Then their allies beg them to stop so that they don't get banned. They get righteous about it feeling like they're being held down because they're not allowed to call everyone names unsolicited. And then eventually will blame the site as being a safe haven for right-wingers that hates left wingers.

Mirroring national politics in the United States, it appears the right wing simply knows how to play the game better.

It's unfortunate. I continue to try to save the left-wing members from themselves. So hopefully you'll heed the history lesson and cut it out. If you don't have the self control put somebody on ignore. Otherwise grow up and stop spazzing.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I don't think there's any question social media cranks things up, but I always look at it as something that speeds up the inevitable rather than creating a new problem.
I disagree.
Movements take a critical mass to happen. Social media creates that critical mass where it probably would have a chance to fizzle out under its own weight of idiocy or others having a chance to muster counter movements. The natural discourse is disrupted at such speed that the validity of an idea is no longer the most important part of a movements success.

Historically idiots that think JFK Jr is still alive helping Donald Trump wouldn't be able to find other idiots that think JFK Jr is still alive helping Donald Trump. Now they can. And they can foment a movement only because social media creates both simultaneous communication and echo chamber.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
Nowhere in that article does the author acknowledge the existence of essentially identical manifestos by other killers who echo the same rhetoric and link to the same sites. Their are multiple examples to choose from, but he goes for the Unabomber - a killer who was caught over a quarter century ago, and whose crimes bear absolutely no resemblance to this spate of mass shootings, other then the existence of a manifesto? Why talk about Kaczinski, but not so much as mention Crusius or Earnest or Roof or Breivik?

"Reading this manifesto is unlikely to convert anyone to its cause. The experience would be uncomfortable and unpleasant for anyone but a hardened, violent racist."

Could say exactly the same about Tarrant's manifesto (titled "The Great Replacement"). Ask the Buffalo shooter if that document's incoherent ramblings (1/4 of the Buffalo killer's manifesto was a direct copy and paste) could "convert anyone to its cause." Here's what he says:

Tarrant’s live-streamed attack, Gendron’s document states, “started everything you see here.”
“Brenton started my real research into the problems with immigration and foreigners in our White lands, without his live-stream I would likely have no idea about the real problems the West is facing,” it continues.

So much for "unlikely to convert anyone to its cause", eh?

??

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I disagree.
Movements take a critical mass to happen. Social media creates that critical mass where it probably would have a chance to fizzle out under its own weight of idiocy or others having a chance to muster counter movements. The natural discourse is disrupted at such speed that the validity of an idea is no longer the most important part of a movements success.

Historically idiots that think JFK Jr is still alive helping Donald Trump wouldn't be able to find other idiots that think JFK Jr is still alive helping Donald Trump. Now they can. And they can foment a movement only because social media creates both simultaneous communication and echo chamber.
America has a history of it happening from long before the internet let alone 4chan. There certainly might be an increase of frequency, but I disagree that it's the cause.

Oct 24, 2015
There's an interesting cycle that seems to only occur from left-leaning members. They show up insult everybody. Then their allies beg them to stop so that they don't get banned. They get righteous about it feeling like they're being held down because they're not allowed to call everyone names unsolicited. And then eventually will blame the site as being a safe haven for right-wingers that hates left wingers.

Mirroring national politics in the United States, it appears the right wing simply knows how to play the game better.

It's unfortunate. I continue to try to save the left-wing members from themselves. So hopefully you'll heed the history lesson and cut it out. If you don't have the self control put somebody on ignore. Otherwise grow up and stop spazzing.
fucking-lefties.jpg

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
What a moron. Was the big bad in the news cycles for what? 48 hours? And then a week later, a genuine psychopath pops off and does something WAY worse, and now this guy and his 10 victims are forgotten. But he's still in maximum security prison with every black guy in the place wanting a piece of his ass, and that's every day of the rest of his life no matter how long he lives. He could be in maximum security for the next 60 years.

Bet he's currently trying desperately to convince himself that it was all worth it because the 8chan crowd spent last week making a bunch of stupid memes praising him.

??

Last edited:

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
This sort of thing sickens me so I don't go into the details.
I hadn't known it was a racial attack.
Would have thought the news would be screaming about that

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
This sort of thing sickens me so I don't go into the details.
I hadn't known it was a racial attack.
Would have thought the news would be screaming about that

They did. Barricading yourself in a classroom full of elementary school students and killing them one by one is probably the only way to change that news cycle.

What a moron. Was the big bad in the news cycles for what? 48 hours? And then a week later, a genuine psychopath pops off and does something WAY worse, and now this guy and his 10 victims are forgotten. But he's still in maximum security prison with every black guy in the place wanting a piece of his ass, and that's every day of the rest of his life no matter how long he lives. He could be in maximum security for the next 60 years.

Bet he's currently trying desperately to convince himself that it was all worth it because the 8chan crowd spent last week making a bunch of stupid memes praising him.

??

These guys just need to become Amish. They have the highest rate of children in the US. You want to fight the great replacement, just become Amish and have your 18 children.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
They did. Barricading yourself in a classroom full of elementary school students and killing them one by one is probably the only way to change that news cycle.
Typically it's the first detail you learn because it's in the leads.
"White supremacist kills..."

I need to pay less attention

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Guess I need to sub to see that.

The thread was filled with conversation about guns and mental health, instead of black/ white issues, and that's pretty good.

That's because the immediate response was this weird slow play that it was some political side. The influencers of Twitter et Al moved quickly to start blaming the shooter as right-wing or left-wing.
But also because normal people don't think there's a secret massive race war going on. If it weren't this cause there'd be a shooter for another one.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015

Calling BeardOfKnowledge @BeardOfKnowledge a lefty?