Sports 2017 MLB thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

TheOutsiders

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Love the guy, but he is way too streaky to be relied upon. And while the Cincy media and fans sort of just accepted that as "hey, that's Jay" I think the NY media and fans will wear on him a bit.

He will hit .150 for a month with 0 HRs and for no apparent reason the following month he'll hit .380 with 15 bombs. I've never seen anyone as streaky as that dude.
we are just worried the .380 with 15 bombs streaks wont happen here with the pressure, unlike cincy. we already have one of those typse of hitters in lucas duda except with no where near the track record of bruce, and also always on the dl (with there already reports of being hurt this spring)

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
we are just worried the .380 with 15 bombs streaks wont happen here with the pressure, unlike cincy. we already have one of those typse of hitters in lucas duda except with no where near the track record of bruce, and also always on the dl (with there already reports of being hurt this spring)
That's what I'm thinking, too. Stress isn't a good way to get out of a slump.
I don't think NYM are a good fit for him.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
USA vs Puerto Rico tonight in the World Baseball Classic final. Worth a look, imo. This is the first time USA has advanced to the finals - earning their trip with a 2-1 victory over Japan yesterday.

Puerto Rico is fucking stacked though. They are 7-0 in the WBC, and beat USA 6-5 on Friday.

Pitching for USA will be Marcus Stroman (Blue Jays).
On the bump for Puerto Rico will be Seth Lugo, a young stud in the NY Mets organization who has been sensational so far in the WBC.

One other note, USA has been rotating catchers game to game. Due to this rotation, Jonathon Lucroy will be starting tonight instead of Buster Posey.

Here's a position by position breakdown for the teams. You probably recognize most of the players but might not be familiar with what country they are representing. Both squads are solid. Position by position breakdown: USA vs. PR

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
And this Javier Baez (Cubs) "no-look" tag was a lot closer than people made it out to be. This dude is a colossal talent, and a colossal idiot. The throw beat the runner by 6', but Baez damn near gave it away by missing the tag so he could look cool. Shit like this drives me nuts.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuiEAdveNE0

Another reason to watch tonight - Giancarlo Stanton (Miami). Nobody in the game today hits the ball as hard as this guy does. Nobody.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8XBz9Q5IVU

TheOutsiders

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
nobody in baseball hits the ball harder than stanton and nobody in baseball throws a curveball with an much spin as seth lugo. interesting fact.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Gary Sanchez.
Was this in response to my Giancarlo Stanton mention? Because no. Sanchez is a phenomenal rookie that hit a ton of bombs at a crazy rate, but he doesn't hit it as hard - as often - as Stanton. Nobody does.

Sanchez is fucking awesome though. They need to find that dude a position - he won't hit like that for long if he's playing catcher every day. Unless they plan on putting him at DH.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Was this in response to my Giancarlo Stanton mention? Because no. Sanchez is a phenomenal rookie that hit a ton of bombs at a crazy rate, but he doesn't hit it as hard - as often - as Stanton. Nobody does.

Sanchez is fucking awesome though. They need to find that dude a position - he won't hit like that for long if he's playing catcher every day. Unless they plan on putting him at DH.
It was, and I have the same concerns regarding catching but give the Yanks hitting coaches some time. They'll shape him up. Dude has a lot of talent.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
It was, and I have the same concerns regarding catching but give the Yanks hitting coaches some time. They'll shape him up. Dude has a lot of talent.
He's 6'2", 230 lbs. That's a big fucking catcher. Have they tried him at any other positions? DH feels like such a cop out. I fucking hate the DH, but it might make sense for this guy. He has a good enough bat that you'd want him in the lineup every night.

How is he behind the plate? Does he call a good game? Can he throw guys out? Can he block a pitch? When it comes to MLB catching, offensive output isn't the most important asset.

Last edited:

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Opening Day less than a week away. The season is here.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
The Yanks are up against Chris Archer on Sunday. Hopefully they have another performance like they did yesterday with their 14-1 win over the Phillies.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
Cards open the season against the scrubs. Has the previous series winner opened up the season being swept before this year?

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
nobody in baseball hits the ball harder than stanton and nobody in baseball throws a curveball with an much spin as seth lugo. interesting fact.
Schwarber and Bryant both got that same power...just sayin

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
He's 6'2", 230 lbs. That's a big fucking catcher. Have they tried him at any other positions? DH feels like such a cop out. I fucking hate the DH, but it might make sense for this guy. He has a good enough bat that you'd want him in the lineup every night.

How is he behind the plate? Does he call a good game? Can he throw guys out? Can he block a pitch? When it comes to MLB catching, offensive output isn't the most important asset.
He's a better defensive catcher than he is offensive. Pitchers already love him because of his ability to call a game and because he has an insane arm pitchers can stay with their normal motion even with runners on base.
McCann isn't dog shit behind the plate and yet he was the one that was bumped up DH.
Sanchez is even focused on learning English so he can better communicate with pitchers.
I'm trying to temper my expectations but with him, Torres, Judge, and several other prospects in the farm it's looking like it may be fun to be a Yankees fan again.

TheOutsiders

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Schwarber and Bryant both got that same power...just sayin
they got power, but no where near the same kind. stanton hits the ball harder by far. in fact, schwarber doesnt show up til 18th on the list in '15 when stanton was king, but i was wrong about '16 as stanton came third.

Statcast

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
He's a better defensive catcher than he is offensive. Pitchers already love him because of his ability to call a game and because he has an insane arm pitchers can stay with their normal motion even with runners on base.
McCann isn't dog shit behind the plate and yet he was the one that was bumped up DH.
Sanchez is even focused on learning English so he can better communicate with pitchers.
I'm trying to temper my expectations but with him, Torres, Judge, and several other prospects in the farm it's looking like it may be fun to be a Yankees fan again.
Looks like he might be stuck behind the plate then. Hopefully his knees hold out.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
Thread title should be the 2017 Chicago Cubbernuaghts repeat World Series victory thread.