Sports 2017 MLB thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
3 games today.

Yanks @ Rays start it off at 1
Giants @ Diamondbacks at 4. Great pitching matchup in this one. Bumgarner vs Greinke
Cubs at Cards wrap it up at 8:30 - Added bonus in this game is watching Jon Lester never throw over to 1st base.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Reds lose a close one, fall to a tie in the standings with the Cubs. Season is gonna be crazy!

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I did see the first automatic walk today - if that's what they call it. You no longer have to pitch 4 balls for an intentional walk - you just tell the ump you want to let him take first.

The announcers were confused as fuck because they started the AB pitching to the guy but decided to let him pass when the count went to 2-0. "Was he hit by that pitch? It didn't look to be even close to him. What is going on here? Oh - it's that automatic walk thing"

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Arrieta being Arrieta...Almora robs A Homer..it's gonna be a long season forv the NL boys

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Someone at ESPN thinks they are funny.

Home Run leaders in the NL lists Bartolo Colon first on the list of "everyone who hasn't hit a home run yet".

Madison Bumgarner still holds the top spot with 2 HRs, and Bartolo Colon is currently tied for 30th place with 0 HRs:

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
Royals fans are about to explode after being swept by the mighty Twins today. Royals Pitchers have given up 23 walks in 24 innings pitched so far this season

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Brandon Finnegan started last night for the Reds against the Pirates. He didn't have his best stuff and was pulled in the 3rd after walking in a run. His line ended up being 2 innings pitched, 1 run, 4 hits, 5 walks.

Then the Reds bullpen pulled off one of the greatest shutdowns of all time.

Michael Lorenzen got a strikeout, a come-backer force out at home and another strikeout to get the Reds out of the bases loaded, 0 out jam.

Lorenzen pitched 2 more innings of no hit ball, then gave way to Cody Reed in the 6th who also delivered 3 innings of no hit ball. Wandy Peralta closed it out with - you guessed it - a 1,2,3 inning in the 9th.

So the combined bullpen line was 7 innings, 0 hits, 9 Ks. Truly impressive.

Reds won 7-1, pushing their way-too-early-to-get-excited record to 5-2

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Shut your mouth. Cubbernaughts will own their division by season's end. You sound like a typical drunken, salty Indians fan.
Pfft. Win 1 World Series and the Scrub Fans start spewing bullshit. Now that you got a taste of success, those tears will be extra delicious when they get back to choking games away. :D

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
I did see the first automatic walk today - if that's what they call it. You no longer have to pitch 4 balls for an intentional walk - you just tell the ump you want to let him take first.
that's a shame. I understand they have to do everything to up the pace but those things take away from the naturality of the game. one of the coolest things I've ever seen was when Miguel Cabrera chased one of those intentional walk pitches for a HR.

BTW I'm playing fantasy baseball and it's hard to follow baseball news where I live (there's no baseball news where I live). sucess in my league always comes down to how many closers you have so if you hear of teams changing their closers or something and you remember me, give me a shout out so I can grab one on free agency.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
that's a shame. I understand they have to do everything to up the pace but those things take away from the naturality of the game. one of the coolest things I've ever seen was when Miguel Cabrera chased one of those intentional walk pitches for a HR.

BTW I'm playing fantasy baseball and it's hard to follow baseball news where I live (there's no baseball news where I live). sucess in my league always comes down to how many closers you have so if you hear of teams changing their closers or something and you remember me, give me a shout out so I can grab one on free agency.
Last season, Gary Sanchez nearly went yard off of a pitch that was part of an attempted intentional walk. It still ended up being an RBI sacfly for him.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WgK4FtRkTo

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
cool, I didn't know about this. I haven't seen Sanchez play but his numbers last year were crazy, no wonder he can hit a HR on an awful pitch like that.
FYI - Sanchez is out 4 weeks. Strained muscle in his arm.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Cespedes went 4 for 6 last night with 3 HRs and 5 RBI in the Mets 14-4 win over the Phillies.
Pushed his season average from .154 to .250

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
You might be able to grab Amir Garrett, the rookie starting pitcher for the Reds. He's had 2 very good starts.

He's not a closer, but he might be worth sitting on if you have an open slot available - if for nothing else other than trade bait. I've watched both of his starts - he's got good stuff. Tall lefty with a nasty slider and a good change.

He's 2-0 with a 1.42 ERA with 9 Ks (2 BBs) and a WHIP of 0.71

He's a rookie so it could all go to shit, but might be worth a look.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Houston's George Springer has hit 4 lead-off HRs so far this season. (10 games)
The rest of the AL - combined - has only hit a total of 2.

The single season record for lead-off HRs is 13. (Alfonso Soriano 2003)
Most lead-off HRs for a career is 81. (Rickey Henderson 1979-2003)