General 2021 NFL Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

GOAT

Nov 17, 2021
I was going to call you out on BS for the Fitzgerald name drop but then I remembered he went to Pitt.

Fitz has been my favorite pro athlete for a long time. Just a good dude.
My dealings with him with him we’re when he was with the Cardinals after I moved to Phoenix and began working fir their NBC sports radio affiliate (1060). And you’re right he couldn’t have been a nicer person. I’ve seen players with nowhere near his credentials who had egos a mile long and who had smiles that only lasted as long as the cameras were rolling. Larry is just as nice off the camera as he is on it.. Probably nicer off of it.

Last edited:

GOAT

Nov 17, 2021
Fun fact - Dan Marino is an insufferable cunt to pretty much everyone who interacts with him.
He’s leaps and bounds my favorite player ever to play the game, but I’ve heard so many horror stories about what a miserable bastard he was back in the day, and heard a big reason he got fired from his job at CBS is because he was such a prick

M

member 3289

I've heard that, apparently a shitty tipper as well (which wouldn't be an issue in many countries, but the US is a tipping culture as discussed in other threads :) )
I've heard this as well.

He golfs a lot and eats out a lot. Like GOAT @GOAT says I've heard so many different stories from golf course employees, wait staff, and fans who run into him that make him sound like a total asshole. Just rude and very unpleasant to be around.

And there are ways to deny fan requests for pics/autographs without being a cunt. Dennis Rodman once told me "no pics, man" but did it in a way that made me feel bad for even asking.

M

member 3289

I've heard that, apparently a shitty tipper as well (which wouldn't be an issue in many countries, but the US is a tipping culture as discussed in other threads :) )
It gets amplified when you're famous. The minimum "acceptable" rate for tipping varies by the service rendered but we can say 15% is what most services would consider the lowest level of appropriate.

For a celebrity that jumps to 20%, if not 25%.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
It gets amplified when you're famous. The minimum "acceptable" rate for tipping varies by the service rendered but we can say 15% is what most services would consider the lowest level of appropriate.

For a celebrity that jumps to 20%, if not 25%.
People in celebrity status should be tipping 50% minimum.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Remember when Jordan called Scottie "No Tippin" Pippen?

LMAO.

And when Agassi called out Sampras for being cheap during a charity tennis match and Sampras got pissed and served it at his head even though they were playing doubles (with Nadal and Federer) and Andre wasn't in the serve receive box.

Lmao. Federer: "Man this rivalry is intense". I'm not sure Nadal knew what the fuck was going on.

Being known as a bad tipping rich dude is a mark of shame that you never live down.

Thuglife13

✝👦🍕🍦🍩
Dec 15, 2018
Just imagine how viral a photo of a receipt would go on social media if Tom Brady left a tip of exactly 15% on his restaurant bill.
Remember when Jordan called Scottie "No Tippin" Pippen?

LMAO.

And when Agassi called out Sampras for being cheap during a charity tennis match and Sampras got pissed and served it at his head even though they were playing doubles (with Nadal and Federer) and Andre wasn't in the serve receive box.

Lmao. Federer: "Man this rivalry is intense". I'm not sure Nadal knew what the fuck was going on.

Being known as a bad tipping rich dude is a mark of shame that you never live down.
This too lol...

Tiger Woods once baffled and irritated a group of Navy SEALs when he didn’t pick up the check for lunch

Then there's the story of the lunch, which spread throughout the Naval Special Warfare community. Guys still tell it, almost a decade later. Tiger and a group of five or six went to a diner in La Posta. The waitress brought the check and the table went silent, according to two people there that day. Nobody said anything and neither did Tiger, and the other guys sort of looked at one another.

Finally one of the SEALs said, "Separate checks, please."

The waitress walked away.

"We are all baffled," says one SEAL, a veteran of numerous combat deployments. "We are sitting there with Tiger f---ing Woods, who probably makes more than all of us combined in a day. He's shooting our ammo, taking our time. He's a weird f---ing guy. That's weird s---. Something's wrong with you."

M

member 3289

NotBanjaxo @NotBanjaxo GOAT @GOAT here's an op-ed from one of the two major newspapers in Dolphin country, just so you can get an idea of how the local media feels about the team.

I'm posting the whole thing so you don't have to deal with the pay wall or geo restricrions. I agree with everything except the slight on Jaylen Waddle. Hauler @Hauler you might find it interesting because it mentions Burrow and the Bengals.

Dolphins spent three years rebuilding the same mediocre team they tore down

DAVE HYDE

January 03 at 4:00 PM EST

You can feel the football season shutting depressingly down now. This always happens after the Miami Dolphins are eliminated from the playoffs, all false hope and fool’s gold gone.

Another end. Another mess. There’s always some game like Sunday’s 34-3 loss to Tennessee, where reality slaps the back of the Dolphins’ fans head, like a Three Stooges scene, and everyone sees how things really are.

There may have been worse season-enders than this one against Tennessee.

Name one.

This didn’t just end a season. It ended the schedule-inflated seven-game win streak. It ended a three-year Ponzi scheme of a plan, too. Conclusions are in. They aren’t pretty.

General manager Chris Grier blew it drafting quarterback Tua Tagovailoa over Justin Herbert.

This offense constructed with big, expensive parts scored fewer points (19.3) than the 2018 offense led by Jay Cutler (19.9) that led to the rebuild.

The Dolphins, at 8-8, spent three years re-constructing the same average team they so gleefully tore down.

They play boring football, too. That’s subjective, I know. But, come on, this is mind-numbing stuff.

What a plan. What a joke. If you watch this kind of season enough through the years, you can get angry for what they’ve done to the Dolphins.

It’s not just this regime. They’re just the latest. That’s even said with an appreciation for the tough style and disciplined brand of Dolphins coach Brian Flores.

But for anyone who was around back when this franchise won, back when the question in any season was how far they’d go in the playoffs, this year was simply an add-on to two decades of watching a well-tailored, well-groomed person turn into a bum.

It’s embarrassing. Down there with the Titanic wreck, down with the New Coke formula, sits this latest Dolphins’ rebuilding plan. What even was the plan in retrospect? Tanking? Hitting on draft picks? Did they really follow either well?

Tanking, as I wrote at the start, is about the dumbest plan you can have in sports. The Dolphins didn’t even do it right. The front office tanked. The coach didn’t.

The front office traded away talent for draft picks. The coach refused to lose to Cincinnati in the second-to-last game of 2019 when LSU quarterback Joe Burrow was the prize.

There was Burrow late Sunday afternoon, smoking a cigar after lifting a terrible Cincinnati franchise to the playoffs. There was Flores talking about not making the playoffs again.

“Disappointing,’’ he called it over and over.

Here’s another line written three years ago: The franchise that’s so dumb it has to tank for a quarterback is too dumb to build around him. Proof?

It looks bad enough today to have passed on Herbert to draft Tagovailoa. That’s the kind of move that gets people fired. What compounds it is the Dolphins didn’t give Tua a fighting chance.

The offensive line was built with expensive draft picks. Is there any clear keeper beyond guard Robert Hunt?

The receivers are roster-fillers beyond Jaylen Waddle. He’s everything you could hope for as a rookie. He also wasn’t the big-play receiver the Dolphins could have taken in Mike Pitts and especially Ja’Marr Chase.

Oh, the defense looks great. At least it looked great against the mostly backup quarterbacks in that seven-game win streak. But there was Tennessee coach Mike Vrabel telling his team after it ran for 198 yards on the Dolphins, “The most physical team won. And we didn’t turn the football over, and they just kept giving to us and we kept taking it from them.”

Three more years wasted. That’s the theme as this season heads to a finale against New England. The Patriots’ Bill Belichick rebuilt his team to the playoffs in one year. Cincinnati did under Burrow’s two years. The Los Angeles Chargers remain alive for the playoffs with Herbert carrying them this last Sunday of the regular season.

Once upon a time, this was the best time to be a Dolphins fan, January with the playoffs on the calendar. Now it’s just a time to start laying blame.

It’s not just another season shutting down now. It’s this latest, three-year plan. It stunk. It sunk. They’ve officially rebuilt the mediocre team they tore down three years ago.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
I've heard this as well.

He golfs a lot and eats out a lot. Like GOAT @GOAT says I've heard so many different stories from golf course employees, wait staff, and fans who run into him that make him sound like a total asshole. Just rude and very unpleasant to be around.

And there are ways to deny fan requests for pics/autographs without being a cunt. Dennis Rodman once told me "no pics, man" but did it in a way that made me feel bad for even asking.
Isotoner money went to his head.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
NotBanjaxo @NotBanjaxo GOAT @GOAT here's an op-ed from one of the two major newspapers in Dolphin country, just so you can get an idea of how the local media feels about the team.

I'm posting the whole thing so you don't have to deal with the pay wall or geo restricrions. I agree with everything except the slight on Jaylen Waddle. Hauler @Hauler you might find it interesting because it mentions Burrow and the Bengals.
I’ve been saying this all year.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
most of your loser teams ya'll cheer for have already been eliminated from the playoffs, but remember that DRAFT DAY MATTERS.

49435977_10215001581086755_1996177473489862656_n.jpg

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
This too lol...

Tiger Woods once baffled and irritated a group of Navy SEALs when he didn’t pick up the check for lunch

Then there's the story of the lunch, which spread throughout the Naval Special Warfare community. Guys still tell it, almost a decade later. Tiger and a group of five or six went to a diner in La Posta. The waitress brought the check and the table went silent, according to two people there that day. Nobody said anything and neither did Tiger, and the other guys sort of looked at one another.

Finally one of the SEALs said, "Separate checks, please."

The waitress walked away.

"We are all baffled," says one SEAL, a veteran of numerous combat deployments. "We are sitting there with Tiger f---ing Woods, who probably makes more than all of us combined in a day. He's shooting our ammo, taking our time. He's a weird f---ing guy. That's weird s---. Something's wrong with you."
SEALS are entitled bitches.

GOAT

Nov 17, 2021

Just a point out a few things here-

Regarding the quarterback situation and that draft, Brian Flores wanted to trade up for Burrow. When Grier wasn’t willing to pay the “mass premium” (all three firsts that year, a first the next and I believe a second), he wanted Herbert. Dan Marino advocated for Herbert. A large number of scouts in the organization called for Herbert. Grier picked Tua because he was who the fans preferred.

If I’m running that show, when looking at the offensive line, I keep Hunt, I keep Eichenberg and MAYBE Kinley as a situational. Jesse Davis can go. The rest can too. The line needs a complete overhaul. Get Armstead at Left Tackle, or Orlando Brown if you can. Bring Ted Karras back. He’s not flashy and not a Pro Bowl caliber player, but he’s steady, consistent and makes the entire line better. They fucked up letting him walk.

Needless to say, it’s long overdue that they finally find some kind of long-term solution for the running game too. They’ve scraped the scrap heap looking for gems and reclamation projects long enough. By no means should they spend a first rounder on one in this draft, none are graded as such, but it’s time to really invest in the position. I know Kenneth Walker is the popular pick, but I like Breece Hall of Iowa State and Isaiah Spiller a hell of a lot more. They’re big bell cow bastards who can catch the ball out of the backfield.

I don’t care if they re-sign him or franchise him… Bring Mikey G back. Waddle is also a stud and only going to get better. The rest of the core of catchers needs work. Pains me to say this, but time to move on from Parker. He’s been there through three coaching regimes and was Dennis Hickey’s pick. He had that really strong 2019, and had a lot of people believing he finally was going to become what everybody thought he was going to be when he was picked in the 2014 draft. Unfortunately, he’s way too inconsistent, and he’s way to injury prone. Time to move on. Will Fuller was a $10 million waste of money. Grier might as well taken that cash and lit it on fire. He has as many full seasons under his belt as I do. He’s another one that can go. Adams is going to cost a hell of a lot of money, and I really think he is going to attach himself to Aaron Rodgers. At this stage, I also am fairly convinced both are staying in Green Bay. I actually wouldn’t mind seeing the team take a long look at DJ Chark. Very consistent receiver, another player that Urban Meyer didn’t have a fucking clue how to use properly. I’d also kick the tires on Chris Godwin and Michael Gallup. I know both will be coming off an injury but are quality WRs receivers. Chris Olave of Ohio State or Treylon Burks of Arkansas are draft targets I like. Gage and Auden Tate would be nice and inexpensive 3rd WR options.

The defense, obviously I don’t have too much negative to say about, however I’m not gonna lie and say the fact it D’Onta Freeman looked like Jim fucking Brown out there is slightly concerning.

You’re gonna hear Watson’s name all winter linked to Miami at QB. Gonna still be the same holdups. Gonna cost a lot of draft capitol and cap space to get him and there’s the legal bullshit. This year’s draft class sucks for QB. We’ll see. I don’t think Tua is as shitty as the media is trying to spin the narrative of.

M

member 3289

Just a point out a few things here-

Regarding the quarterback situation and that draft, Brian Flores wanted to trade up for Burrow. When Grier wasn’t willing to pay the “mass premium” (all three firsts that year, a first the next and I believe a second), he wanted Herbert. Dan Marino advocated for Herbert. A large number of scouts in the organization called for Herbert. Grier picked Tua because he was who the fans preferred.
I did not know that Flo wanted Herbert. Also it was my understanding that Cincinnati wasn't going to trade that #1 pick for anything. Were there discussions about them trading down?

Here are Burrow and Herbert's 2022 stats, respectively:

YDS TDINTRating

So in hindsight I would say that not giving Cincy a treasure chest of picks and whatever else was prob a good decision. Not drafting Herbert, obviously, was not.

Needless to say, it’s long overdue that they finally find some kind of long-term solution for the running game too. They’ve scraped the scrap heap looking for gems and reclamation projects long enough. By no means should they spend a first rounder on one in this draft, none are graded as such, but it’s time to really invest in the position. I know Kenneth Walker is the popular pick, but I like Breece Hall of Iowa State and Isaiah Spiller a hell of a lot more. They’re big bell cow bastards who can catch the ball out of the backfield.
RBs are tricky. They get injured a lot and don't have longevity. Just look at some of our RBs considered good either for us or other teams over the last few years:

Jay Ajayi: retired (28 years old)

Lamar Miller: has played for 6 different teams since he left the Dolphins, mostly because of an injury he suffered that kept him out of theentire 2019 season.

Kenyan Drake: mediocre at best both with us and with other teams. Overvalued imo.

I don’t care if they re-sign him or franchise him… Bring Mikey G back.
Going to be expensive but I agree. He's a top 5 TE imo.

Waddle is also a stud and only going to get better.
Agree and this is where I disagreed with Hyde implying Waddle isn't a playmaker like Jamarr Chase or Kyle Pitts. One, Pitts is a TE and we already have a good TE. Two, I don't think anyone can say that Jamarr Chase is better than Jaylen Waddle or vice-versa. Waddle has more receptions and Chase has more yards. Chase also has a QB with a decent offensive line. Waddle was forced to make a lot of short receptions because Tua was constantly under pressure.

The rest of the core of catchers needs work. Pains me to say this, but time to move on from Parker. He’s been there through three coaching regimes and was Dennis Hickey’s pick. He had that really strong 2019, and had a lot of people believing he finally was going to become what everybody thought he was going to be when he was picked in the 2014 draft. Unfortunately, he’s way too inconsistent, and he’s way to injury prone. Time to move on. Will Fuller was a $10 million waste of money. Grier might as well taken that cash and lit it on fire. He has as many full seasons under his belt as I do. He’s another one that can go.
Parker has a ton of talent and is great because of his size, but the guy gets injured by a fucking errant gust of wind. Cut him.

Taking Will Fuller despite having full knowledge of his history on IR should be strike 2 at least for Grier, with strike 1 being the Tua over Herbert pick.

The defense, obviously I don’t have too much negative to say about, however I’m not gonna lie and say the fact it D’Onta Freeman looked like Jim fucking Brown out there is slightly concerning.
Looked great against shit teams. Gave up 45 to Tampa Bay and 34 to Tennessee. Like our win streak, the defense is likely very over-inflated.

You’re gonna hear Watson’s name all winter linked to Miami at QB. Gonna still be the same holdups. Gonna cost a lot of draft capitol and cap space to get him and there’s the legal bullshit. This year’s draft class sucks for QB. We’ll see. I don’t think Tua is as shitty as the media is trying to spin the narrative of.
If it were up to me, I'd give Tua another chance. Watson has too much baggage and we haven't built around Tua like the Bengals have tried building around Burrow (this year at least).

Fire Grier, keep Flores, keep Tua. That's what I'd do if I'm Stephen Ross.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
It is possible that all 22 of those women are lying.

Had to look him up. Will he still be available with the 20th pick?
The QB draft slots are all over the board. I've seen him slotted as early as #2 overall. And I've seen him falling out of the 1st round completely. I think he'll land in the 10th-20th range.

Last edited: