Askren vs Paul Live Discussion-April 17th

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
i want to see jake paul fight nick diaz next. this kid has to fight a big name and a money draw but he also needs to fight someone with skills. ben askren has no boxing skills obviously. feed him to nick or anderson if he wants to continue down this road
I like Anderson for the fight better than Nick.

jason73

Auslander Raus
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
i would love to know how many people actually bought this ppv. it was streaming for free everywhere . as we were watching it on our traditional river sites my kid showed me it streaming on twitch and youtube. i have a feeling that millions tuned in but hundreds actually paid for it

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
i would love to know how many people actually bought this ppv. it was streaming for free everywhere . as we were watching it on our traditional river sites my kid showed me it streaming on twitch and youtube. i have a feeling that millions tuned in but hundreds actually paid for it
My viewing experience was choppy, but that's indicative of a lot of users more than anything else. It doesn't help that the UFC was on at the same time.

jason73

Auslander Raus
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
paulie malignaggi and bkfc should be calling this fool out for a ppv. david feldman is even more of a shameless prick than dana. he would make this fight in a heart beat. i have a feeling that ole jake wont take a fight he cant win though. he will probably box a tiktoker next

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
paulie malignaggi and bkfc should be calling this fool out for a ppv. david feldman is even more of a shameless prick than dana. he would make this fight in a heart beat. i have a feeling that ole jake wont take a fight he cant win though. he will probably box a tiktoker next
Jake is in a tough spot now. The only guys who are going to take a fight with him now are complete cans, or guys he has no chance of beating. His career is pretty much over.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Jake is in a tough spot now. The only guys who are going to take a fight with him now are complete cans, or guys he has no chance of beating. His career is pretty much over.
He's already fighting cans though. So sounds like his career is going well.

Last edited:

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
He could still milk the aging MMA grappler angle a bit more. Would Demian Maia turn down a million bucks to box Paul?

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
He could still milk the aging MMA grappler angle a bit more. Would Demian Maia turn down a million bucks to box Paul?
I don't think Ben has a lot of money saved up after his UFC washout and that's why he took the fight. I don't see Maia as being desperate for cash.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
I don't think Ben has a lot of money saved up after his UFC washout and that's why he took the fight. I don't see Maia as being desperate for cash.
Neither of us know if Maia specifically would or wouldn't take the fight, but the point is there are washed up MMA grapplers out there who can't box for shit that Paul could beat on. And many of them would not be in a position to turn down the type of money Askren made for this fight.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Neither of us know if Maia specifically would or wouldn't take the fight, but the point is there are washed up MMA grapplers out there who can't box for shit that Paul could beat on. And many of them would not be in a position to turn down the type of money Askren made for this fight.
$500k isn't a pile of money for anyone who's had a decent UFC career. You're absolutely right that he can find MMA grapplers to beat on, but the idea is that he wants to raise his stock by beating fighters with some sort of name value. Paul's stock as a boxer doesn't rise if he puts a beating on Jon Fitch.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
$500k isn't a pile of money for anyone who's had a decent UFC career. You're absolutely right that he can find MMA grapplers to beat on, but the idea is that he wants to raise his stock by beating fighters with some sort of name value. Paul's stock as a boxer doesn't rise if he puts a beating on Jon Fitch.
Firstly, Askren didn't make 500k - he made 500K + a percentage of the PPV. Secondly, you seem to be deluded about what UFC fighters make still somehow. The most Demian Maia ever earned for a UFC fight was $250,000 (and needed a performance bonus to do it). You might be right that Maia specifically has earned enough money to not want to do it, but a Jake Paul fight would represent a paycheck far beyond his next biggest one and could be tempting. And again, that's just a name I threw out there - Maia isn't the only option.

And I used to the phrase 'milk' deliberately. There will be diminishing returns and even retarded people will eventually lose interest in these fights. But those tits still need some yanking for now.

You are right that Paul will eventually have nowhere to go with this, but if he can make a few more massive paydays, will he really give a shit?

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Firstly, Askren didn't make 500k - he made 500K + a percentage of the PPV.
So he made $500k. Because exactly 0 people ordered that steaming pile of trash.

The most Demian Maia ever earned for a UFC fight was $250,000 (and needed a performance bonus to do it). You might be right that Maia specifically has earned enough money to not want to do it, but a Jake Paul fight would represent a paycheck far beyond his next biggest one and could be tempting.
The fight purse discussion isn't worth having given that we know that represents only a portion of a fighter's earnings. You can add up all of Derrick Lewis' earning, subtract it from what he owns and know that the math doesn't come close to adding up.

And I used to the phrase 'milk' deliberately. There will be diminishing returns and even retarded people will eventually lose interest in these fights. But those tits still need some yanking for now.
Freak show fights have generated interest for thousands of years and always will. It's just science.

You are right that Paul will eventually have nowhere to go with this, but if he can make a few more massive paydays, will he really give a shit?
The story goes that he's serious about being a boxer. If that's the case, then yes, he will give a shit.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
Nick is a better boxer and is more durable than Anderson.
Anderson is in a nursing home and Nick Diaz is a washed up drunk/drug addict retired fighter, so it's hard to know who is the better boxer right now. But I would assume it's still old man Anderson, because the guy has won a fight in the last decade and isn't a drug addict.

And if you are referencing their primes, Anderson was clearly a better boxer than Nick. I mean, you do know a 40-year-old Anderson already fought Diaz and beat him easily, inclusive of punching him in the face repeatedly? Anderson was also incredibly durable throughout his career. Again, we don't know durable Diaz is now because he spends his days taking shots of Johnny Walker to the face, not shots in the cage/ring.

I hope you are just speculating a drunk can beat a geriatric (which is probably still silly), and don't think a prime Diaz was a better boxer than a prime Anderson, because that's 'Cowboy is a better striker than McGregor' level of analysis.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Anderson is in a nursing home and Nick Diaz is a washed up drunk/drug addict retired fighter, so it's hard to know who is the better boxer right now. But I would assume it's still old man Anderson, because the guy has won a fight in the last decade and isn't a drug addict.

And if you are referencing their primes, Anderson was clearly a better boxer than Nick. I mean, you do know a 40-year-old Anderson already fought Diaz and beat him easily, inclusive of punching him in the face repeatedly? Anderson was also incredibly durable throughout his career. Again, we don't know durable Diaz is now because he spends his days taking shots of Johnny Walker to the face, not shots in the cage/ring.

I hope you are just speculating a drunk can beat a geriatric (which is probably still silly), and don't think a prime Diaz was a better boxer than a prime Anderson, because that's 'Cowboy is a better striker than McGregor' level of analysis.
I'm sorry you're having a bad day.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
So he made $500k. Because exactly 0 people ordered that steaming pile of trash.

The fight purse discussion isn't worth having given that we know that represents only a portion of a fighter's earnings. You can add up all of Derrick Lewis' earning, subtract it from what he owns and know that the math doesn't come close to adding up.

Freak show fights have generated interest for thousands of years and always will. It's just science.

The story goes that he's serious about being a boxer. If that's the case, then yes, he will give a shit.
All I'm reading is 'Nick Diaz is a better boxer than Anderson Silva'.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
In a post that mentions neither fighter? Your jimmies must be really rustled.
Yes, it is definitely my jimmies that have been rustled as I sit here genuinely laughing at my computer screen, and not the jimmies of the guy transparently resorting to diversion to avoid justifying his ridiculously silly opinion.

Who do you reckon would win a tag-team boxing match between Cowboy and Nick Diaz vs Conor and Anderson Silva?

jason73

Auslander Raus
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
My viewing experience was choppy, but that's indicative of a lot of users more than anything else. It doesn't help that the UFC was on at the same time.
mine was pretty choppy too but i chalked it up to having 2 streams playing and a live thread open at the same time my CPU was working overtime

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Yes, it is definitely my jimmies that have been rustled as I sit here genuinely laughing at my computer screen, and not the jimmies of the guy transparently resorting to diversion to avoid justifying his ridiculously silly opinion.

Who do you reckon would win a tag-team boxing match between Cowboy and Nick Diaz vs Conor and Anderson Silva?
I'm not avoiding justifying anything. I'm avoiding a dishonest interaction with someone looking to hurl petty insults.