BJJ Technique Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015

Haven't read through this whole thread so this may have been shared or something close to it.
I'm sure the more veteran rollers don't need it but I'm new to the game and I find this little exercise useful.
That is Tom Davey, I train with him at the RCJ instructor seminars in Dallas. Great guy; runs a school in Australia.

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
That is Tom Davey, I train with him at the RCJ instructor seminars in Dallas. Great guy; runs a school in Australia.
I like his channel. I've found a number helpful tips in the few videos I've watched.
He seems like a nice guy so that's refreshing to hear it's not just for his videos.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Hopefully soon i shall start training again and be able to appreciate this thread....

M

member 603

This is PERFECT!!!! Also applies to douchebag MMA forum trolls (who all apparently took Muay Thai classes for 6 months)...

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
A change of made so far is to be way more aggressive with my guard.

Ive always played a defensive guard, only went for submissions when they were right on a plate.

I've been chaining attacks, and switching grips a lot more these last days.

Instead of trying to sweep in one direction (in my case it was always pushing opponent backwards) im now sweeping and off balancing opponent in all directions.

If he bases for the scissor sweep, ill come under and try sweep him over me, if he lowers his weight into the ground and pushes away from me, ill stand up and collar drag him. I believe a lot of judo works in a very similar way. Setting up attacks based of a push/pull sort of reaction

Instead of attacking in ones. Im learning to attack in 1,2,3s.

Some times baiting 1 just to get the reaction i need for 2, in which case might fail but i got 3 in my back pocket.

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015

Ive always played a defensive guard, only went for submissions when they were right on a plate.

Instead of trying to sweep in one direction (in my case it was always pushing opponent backwards) im now sweeping and off balancing opponent in all directions.

If he bases for the scissor sweep, ill come under and try sweep him over me, if he lowers his weight into the ground and pushes away from me, ill stand up and collar drag him. I believe a lot of judo works in a very similar way. Setting up attacks based of a push/pull sort of reaction

Some times baiting 1 just to get the reaction i need for 2, in which case might fail but i got 3 in my back pocket.
Thats that Blue Belt knowledge man!!!

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Nice man.

Can you give me an example or two? What's your top two 1-3 or set ups from guard?

M

member 603

Nice man.

Can you give me an example or two? What's your top two 1-3 or set ups from guard?
Your guard attacks should flow between what you set your opponent up for, and what they initiate and give you an opening for..... Never look for "moves" per se. Sometimes your opponent is lazy, or stalling, so you initiate your attacks.... And sometimes they're aggressive passers, so you go second.

The basics are to establish your grips, break their posture, and check their base... Once you master that, you'll start seeing sweep/sub opportunities/possibilities open. And once you understand how a person will defend attacks, it'll help you start chaining/baiting your attack sequences

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Nice man.

Submissions or sweeps? We learn this concept very early on for submissions. One of top of my head from closed guard is omoplata> triangle> Armbar. Or another one i used a lot at whitbelt was hip bump sweep> kimura trap> Triangle. From closed guard.

For sweeps I have quite a few chain attempts that i have success with.

Like Rhino said it should be a constant
flow based on the reactions that are given. This applies to wrestling and passing guard too. Good wrestlers chain wrestle. Good passers have many different guard pass sequences. Torreando> leg drag> duck under pass for example. It's a hard skill to master and I often find myself just attacking in ones and this is when my opponent finds it easier to shut down my sweeps/passes/ but when you chain attacks together then it's a lot more difficult for your opponent to read

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Your guard attacks should flow between what you set your opponent up for, and what they initiate and give you an opening for..... Never look for "moves" per se. Sometimes your opponent is lazy, or stalling, so you initiate your attacks.... And sometimes they're aggressive passers, so you go second.

The basics are to establish your grips, break their posture, and check their base... Once you master that, you'll start seeing sweep/sub opportunities/possibilities open. And once you understand how a person will defend attacks, it'll help you start chaining/baiting your attack sequences
Nice. I'm just now starting to see how chain attacks can come together in real time and with each roll the doors of opportunity are slowly getting easier to spot.

Can you tell me what you mean by check their base?

Submissions or sweeps? We learn this concept very early on for submissions. One of top of my head from closed guard is omoplata> triangle> Armbar. Or another one i used a lot at whitbelt was hip bump sweep> kimura trap> Triangle. From closed guard.

For sweeps I have quite a few chain attempts that i have success with.

Like Rhino said it should be a constant
flow based on the reactions that are given. This applies to wrestling and passing guard too. Good wrestlers chain wrestle. Good passers have many different guard pass sequences. Torreando> leg drag> duck under pass for example. It's a hard skill to master and I often find myself just attacking in ones and this is when my opponent finds it easier to shut down my sweeps/passes/ but when you chain attacks together then it's a lot more difficult for your opponent to read
Those two examples are ones I am drilling myself now. Im not sure if it's good but when cycling bump sweep, Kimura and omaplata if they stop the bump I try to snatch up a guillotine. I'm now slowly getting confident enough in my trianglrs that I'll throw them up often now, feels good!

M

member 603

Can you tell me what you mean by check their base?
Absolutely, while your opponent is in your guard, you can extend/retract or angle left/right your hips... Basically shaking them side to side, or front and back... All to see if they fall or over correct their balance.... You're checking their tipping point, you'll either catch them sleeping and susceptible to sweeps or they'll fall over or overcorrect and fall forward, OR they'll try to base out when falling and they'll overextend an arm, or leave their neck out, leaving them susceptible to submission attacks

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Absolutely, while your opponent is in your guard, you can extend/retract or angle left/right your hips... Basically shaking them side to side, or front and back... All to see if they fall or over correct their balance.... You're checking their tipping point, you'll either catch them sleeping and susceptible to sweeps or they'll fall over or overcorrect and fall forward, OR they'll try to base out when falling and they'll overextend an arm, or leave their neck out, leaving them susceptible to submission attacks
Moving them to see what kind of reaction is offered then? As they offer up different options you attack/sweep as you see fit.

M

member 603

Moving them to see what kind of reaction is offered then? As they offer up different options you attack/sweep as you see fit.
Boom.... Like swinging for an armbar when they're in your guard, they lean forward to block it, and you hit them with a pendulum sweep (aka flower sweep, aka simple sweep aka.... knocking that motherfucker over LOL)

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Boom.... Like swinging for an armbar when they're in your guard, they lean forward to block it, and you hit them with a pendulum sweep (aka flower sweep, aka simple sweep aka.... knocking that motherfucker over LOL)
It's like my beak just cracked through shell in the last few weeks with this kind of stuff. Appreciate all the fees back guys.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Any advice for first comp as a referee?

I've got invited to refeeree a comp at a local university. I believe it's a white/blue belt comp only.

I know the rules. I've competed under ibjjf rules probably about a dozen times, but I'm still bit nervous of fucking up in front of everyone. Anyone share their experiences as a bjj ref?

M

member 603

Any advice for first comp as a referee?

I've got invited to refeeree a comp at a local university. I believe it's a white/blue belt comp only.

I know the rules. I've competed under ibjjf rules probably about a dozen times, but I'm still bit nervous of fucking up in front of everyone. Anyone share their experiences as a bjj ref?
LOL, GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD LUCK!!!! Prepare to be yelled at all day.

In all seriousness, just be relaxed, remember that you're not a God out there, I can't tell you how many times I've blown or missed a call, only to realize it after the fact...... Just know that you can correct a bad call. When in doubt, call your tournament director over. It's a service industry, and you as a competitor know how emotionally invested you can become. Try not to get upset at what they say, speak only to the competitor and coach (teammates, family members, friends shouldn't be talking with you).

Other tips-

Be clear and percise when making calls (hand raised high for all to see)

Communicate with your table workers (make sure you are on the same page with match times, brackets, rules, etc..... They are your lifeline a lot of times.... If it's not a barricaded event, don't let them get overwhelmed by the coaches/competitors/family/friends around them).

Don't kneel down (walk around the action on the mat, it drives me crazy when I see refs lying on the ground to see if someone is ok in a bad spot.... You train, you've been there before, if you have to get two MM away from someone to see if they're tapping, train more)

DO NOT TAP TO COUNT POSITION HOLDS!!! (Mental counts only, throughout the course of the day, you'll get tired... If you're tapping your leg with your hand to count 3 seconds... That tap will speed up or slow down throughout the day.... I've seen refs get called for being biased because of this, don't tap, none will be the wiser)

Don't be biased (if you know the competitor, don't show favoritism.... You can ask to change mats briefly if it's a teammate of yours... Coaches appreciate that.... And for fucks sake, DON'T COACH AS YOU REF!!!! Another thing I dealt with running a tournament).

Drink water, eat snacks, take a break if needed (self explanatory.... You get tired and you'll make a mistakes)

Other than that, relax.... Run matches like you'd want your matches to run... Don't talk to the competitors like MMA refs do, just make the calls when needed. Ask the competitors if they know their ruleset, or have any questions pertaining to the rules, get on the same page prior to the match (it helps with most issues).... Other than that, have fun.... I reffed for 7 years, ran a tournament for 5, I'll tell you this, adult matches are 1000000 times easier than kids.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
LOL, GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD LUCK!!!! Prepare to be yelled at all day.

In all seriousness, just be relaxed, remember that you're not a God out there, I can't tell you how many times I've blown or missed a call, only to realize it after the fact...... Just know that you can correct a bad call. When in doubt, call your tournament director over. It's a service industry, and you as a competitor know how emotionally invested you can become. Try not to get upset at what they say, speak only to the competitor and coach (teammates, family members, friends shouldn't be talking with you).

Other tips-

Be clear and percise when making calls (hand raised high for all to see)

Communicate with your table workers (make sure you are on the same page with match times, brackets, rules, etc..... They are your lifeline a lot of times.... If it's not a barricaded event, don't let them get overwhelmed by the coaches/competitors/family/friends around them).

Don't kneel down (walk around the action on the mat, it drives me crazy when I see refs lying on the ground to see if someone is ok in a bad spot.... You train, you've been there before, if you have to get two MM away from someone to see if they're tapping, train more)

DO NOT TAP TO COUNT POSITION HOLDS!!! (Mental counts only, throughout the course of the day, you'll get tired... If you're tapping your leg with your hand to count 3 seconds... That tap will speed up or slow down throughout the day.... I've seen refs get called for being biased because of this, don't tap, none will be the wiser)

Don't be biased (if you know the competitor, don't show favoritism.... You can ask to change mats briefly if it's a teammate of yours... Coaches appreciate that.... And for fucks sake, DON'T COACH AS YOU REF!!!! Another thing I dealt with running a tournament).

Drink water, eat snacks, take a break if needed (self explanatory.... You get tired and you'll make a mistakes)

Other than that, relax.... Run matches like you'd want your matches to run... Don't talk to the competitors like MMA refs do, just make the calls when needed. Ask the competitors if they know their ruleset, or have any questions pertaining to the rules, get on the same page prior to the match (it helps with most issues).... Other than that, have fun.... I reffed for 7 years, ran a tournament for 5, I'll tell you this, adult matches are 1000000 times easier than kids.

Thanks as always for the detailed reply.

Fortunately, there will be no kids so I don't have to deal with disappointed children and angry parents!

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Not sure of you guys have seen this many times over already or not but I'm posting anyways. All week we've been working guard pass and my coach said to watch this guy for the gold standard. Incredible how he has so much success with relatively simple techniques.