Lifestyle Bourbon

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
SuperPig @Willthiswork

Have you ever tried this one? Kind of from your neck of the woods?

I can't remember if I've tried that specific one but I've done their tour. It's only about an hour away from me. Generally pretty good stuff. They had a couple that were a little brighter than I prefer but solid overall.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I've been off the drink for a while, still haven't gone Bourbon shopping, maybe at the end of the week.
If I remember, you were really sick? Hope you're feeling better bud. Never a bad thing to be off the drink for a bit. For me, time off keeps things in check. Long history of alcohol and substance abuse on both side of my family, so I try to keep things on the up and up and not go to far. I'm not a young pup anymore either, and nowadays I rarely get plastered. I mostly drink for enjoyment of the spirit ;)

Let us know what you find, I'd be curious to know what the selection is like in your area (Ireland?)

Have fun on the bourbon hunt!

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I can't remember if I've tried that specific one but I've done their tour. It's only about an hour away from me. Generally pretty good stuff. They had a couple that were a little brighter than I prefer but solid overall.
Cool thanks man. At under $30, it's probably worth a try sometime. I don't know if that is new around here, or maybe I just haven't paid attention enough to notice it.

BenAskrensStrikingcoach

Formerly formulating formally
Jan 30, 2015
If I remember, you were really sick? Hope you're feeling better bud. Never a bad thing to be off the drink for a bit. For me, time off keeps things in check. Long history of alcohol and substance abuse on both side of my family, so I try to keep things on the up and up and not go to far. I'm not a young pup anymore either, and nowadays I rarely get plastered. I mostly drink for enjoyment of the spirit ;)

Let us know what you find, I'd be curious to know what the selection is like in your area (Ireland?)

Have fun on the bourbon hunt!
Yeah man, not a good time at all.

I rarely end up in hospital, first time as an in-patient since I was a child, 20 years ago.

All good now though.

I never drank at home much, unless it was a session after the pub, a bottle of whiskey or 2 might go missing between a few heads every now and again.

Now I don't go out as much, but I have a few bottles there for a measure or 2 when I fancy it, be nice to have a bottle of bourbon there as well.

I havent drank much of it, it is sweeter than most whiskey if I remember correctly, made with corn and usually in new barrels right?

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I havent drank much of it, it is sweeter than most whiskey if I remember correctly, made with corn and usually in new barrels right?
Yeah, it can be sweeter than other whiskies and also with a little more spice. A lot of scotch drinkers, especially the heavy peated ones, sometimes don't like the sweetness/spice, but that's my preference. I tend to like scotch that is not super peaty.

For bourbon, the mash bill has to be at least 51% corn and the rest can be barely, wheat, rye, etc. And yes, bourbon has to be aged in a new charred oak barrel. Some people will use another cask (such as a wine cask) for flavor after, but the first part of the aging is in a new barrel. Some of the double-barrel stuff is tasty. Straight bourbon has a minimum aging time of 2 years.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
A lot of scotch drinkers, especially the heavy peated ones, sometimes don't like the sweetness/spice, but that's my preference.
and that's why I like bourbon, but generally don't like scotch.

Finally got around to buying a bottle of Buffalo Trace last weekend, just cracked it open and it's pretty alright.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I was working a couple hours away from home today, and considering the time of the year, I decided to do a little bourbon hunting and checked out a few liquor stores I’ve never been to before.

I had a decent hunt, but I also learned that peanut butter bourbon is a thing o_O . That’s new to me, but the guy said he sells the shit out of it. I was going to buy a bottle for the white elephant Xmas party tomorrow, but the guys would probably kick me out of the whiskey club for that :D

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I was working a couple hours away from home today, and considering the time of the year, I decided to do a little bourbon hunting and checked out a few liquor stores I’ve never been to before.

I had a decent hunt, but I also learned that peanut butter bourbon is a thing o_O . That’s new to me, but the guy said he sells the shit out of it. I was going to buy a bottle for the white elephant Xmas party tomorrow, but the guys would probably kick me out of the whiskey club for that :D

So did you buy a bottle to smaple yourself?

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I did pick up a bottle of this today. The whiskey group is having a white elephant party tomorrow, this is my entry. Never had it, but it’s the sample place Rowan’s Creek comes from.

the white elephant whiskey parties are great fun. Everyone that brings a bottle, goes home with a bottle.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
The whiskey club Xmas party was great last night. I think we had 14 bottles in the white elephant.

I ended up coming home with a bottle of WIld Turkey Rare Breed - Barrel Strength. It’s tasty, but hot (116 proof).

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015

This has piqued my interest. I was appalled by the thought of peanut butter stout and porter and they worked out just fine.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
This has piqued my interest. I was appalled by the thought of peanut butter stout and porter and they worked out just fine.
Buy a bottle and do a review for us ;)

FWIW the guy at the liquor store recommended the brand I posted above, just under $30 for the bottle. They had another brand that was 7 or 8 bucks cheaper, but the guy said it’s not nearly as good.

In retrospect, I should have bought a bottle. My bro always comes over and drinks my liquor and this would have given me the opportunity for a prank. I could put it in a fancy bottle and tell him it’s something rare/expensive and then watch him try to pretend that it’s good :D

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
Buy a bottle and do a review for us ;)

FWIW the guy at the liquor store recommended the brand I posted above, just under $30 for the bottle. They had another brand that was 7 or 8 bucks cheaper, but the guy said it’s not nearly as good.

In retrospect, I should have bought a bottle. My bro always comes over and drinks my liquor and this would have given me the opportunity for a prank. I could put it in a fancy bottle and tell him it’s something rare/expensive and then watch him try to pretend that it’s good :D
Quit giving me ideas, you. I'm still hungover to all fuck from last night!
It is definitely interesting though, I like new things to play with.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Well, it can at least be on your radar now for sometime down the road ;)

it is allegedly popular, so it shouldn’t be hard to find. I would imagine that there are more brands as well. I’m still blown away at how much the guy said he sells. Kids these days...