Lifestyle Bourbon

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
I just picked up some peanut butter whisky, moonshine pickles, and blood orange shine. I'm going to have some folks over and figured some gimmick whisky would be fun.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I just picked up some peanut butter whisky, moonshine pickles, and blood orange shine. I'm going to have some folks over and figured some gimmick whisky would be fun.
let us know how the peanut butter whiskey is...I couldn’t bring myself to buy it hah.

My bro is always drinking my whiskey, so I was going to get a bottle as a prank and tell him it was some hard to find spirit like Pappy or something. I’m pretty sure I could convince him and he’d pretend to like it, and then he’d be telling people about it lol

the blood orange sounds good.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Has anyone tried this?

vodka isn’t normally my thing, but this is out of the Buffalo Trace distillery. Was pretty solid and smooth

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Some shenanigans for randoms that visit. Balcones for my Texas brethren. And 3 Crosses which is local.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
that’s the PB whiskey I’ve see here too. There was another option as well, but the dude at the store said the screwball is the better one.

I went to college with the head guy over Balcones. He’s a bit older though, and my bro knows him better than I do. They used to play music together. I’m hit or miss on their product. Some is fine, but I didn’t like their rye at all. But to be fair, I tried it at the white elephant Xmas party where I had been sampling a whole bunch of bottles. So my palate might have already been of from the other glasses.

what time should I be over? ;)

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
that’s the PB whiskey I’ve see here too. There was another option as well, but the dude at the store said the screwball is the better one.

I went to college with the head guy over Balcones. He’s a bit older though, and my bro knows him better than I do. They used to play music together. I’m hit or miss on their product. Some is fine, but I didn’t like their rye at all. But to be fair, I tried it at the white elephant Xmas party where I had been sampling a whole bunch of bottles. So my palate might have already been of from the other glasses.

what time should I be over? ;)
I just put a bacon wrapped ribeye roast on the smoker so you have some time.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Pickled moonshine?

How's that taste?
It's only 40 proof so it's pretty mellow. Just tried one a few minutes ago. Definitely a decent dill pickle but has that simple corn liquor taste as well. I'm trying to figure out a good use for them.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
It's only 40 proof so it's pretty mellow. Just tried one a few minutes ago. Definitely a decent dill pickle but has that simple corn liquor taste as well. I'm trying to figure out a good use for them.
Ha. I figured it was a drink more than a condiment.
Shows where my brain is.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I just dipped into a bottle of Larceny. I grab a bottle of this one every now and again. Pretty solid bourbon.

and the wife got me a new piece of art for the house :D

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
As far as I can tell there's no difference between bourbon and American whiskey. That being said, I bought this for my brother in law for Christmas, and it's really, really good:

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
As far as I can tell there's no difference between bourbon and American whiskey. That being said, I bought this for my brother in law for Christmas, and it's really, really good:

nice, they’re out of Houston I think.

and yeah, it’s pretty much bourbon but they call it that because it isn’t made in Kentucky or Tennessee. Same process and barreling. I don’t know their mash bill, but maybe it doesn’t meet the exact criteria? Pretty much the same though as far as how it’s made.

Some people are sensitive to calling something bourbon if it’s isn’t from the right locale or recipe. Texas distilleries usually use “American Whiskey” or “Texas Bourbon” to get around that.

here’s an example of crafty naming. GB is solid too. Expensive, but the among the best from Texas IMO. Their distiller is coop to visit.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
As far as I can tell there's no difference between bourbon and American whiskey.
A bourbon can be an American whisky but an American whisky cannot be a bourbon.

Either the Am Whisky isn't quite 51% corn or, most commonly, they age the spirit in a used barrel. Bourbon has to be aged in charred new oak barrels. If you use it a second time with the exact same ingredients it's now an American whisky. Kind of silly but true.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
A bourbon can be an American whisky but an American whisky cannot be a bourbon.

Either the Am Whisky isn't quite 51% corn or, most commonly, they age the spirit in a used barrel. Bourbon has to be charred new oak barrels. If you use it a second time with the exact same ingredients it's now an American whisky. Kind of silly but true.
I actually just read that after making the post.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
I actually just read that after making the post.
It gets even stranger when you factor in that they can finish a bourbon in a used Sherry cask or rum cask and it's still a bourbon. But it can't be aged in it and still be a bourbon.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I had a good day of hunting today...

thats excellent! I’ve never seen the big bottles of eagle available here, it’s always just the regular size. And you found Stagg?! Never actually seen that one in the shelf anywhere before.

nice work my man!

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
thats excellent! I’ve never seen the big bottles of eagle available here, it’s always just the regular size. And you found Stagg?! Never actually seen that one in the shelf anywhere before.

nice work my man!
I won the state lottery to be able to buy the Stagg so it arrived at my local store and I picked up the last bottle of Blanton's that they had since I was there. I'm going to give it to a lady that works at one of my surgery centers who is retiring next month.
But I found a store on my way back from DC today that had the giant bottles of Buffalo and Eagle. Couldn't help but snag a few.... You'll see. ;)

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I won the state lottery to be able to buy the Stagg so it arrived at my local store and I picked up the last bottle of Blanton's that they had since I was there. I'm going to give it to a lady that works at one of my surgery centers who is retiring next month.
But I found a store on my way back from DC today that had the giant bottles of Buffalo and Eagle. Couldn't help but snag a few.... You'll see. ;)
oh that’s right, I forgot about the lottery you won. That’s an amazing retirement gift, we’ll done sir!