Lifestyle Bourbon

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Can't share the Stagg because they're silly limited here but let me know if there's anything that's hard to find where you are that I can keep my eyes open for.
I have steady access to Eagle Rare & Buffalo Trace

I always look for Blanton's but NEVER find it. I think it's just timing. I'm getting in good with the local liquor store owner. I'm going to see if she will save me a bottle of Blanton's when they get some. I do enough business over there that she should be willing to help me out. I like the thrill of the hunt and finding a gem, but I keep striking out on that one.

I don't even think Pappy hits the shelves anymore.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Yep. Sadly that's one of the lower proofs that they have put out. Typically closer to 130ish.
the only one out of that line that I’ve tried was Stagg Jr. and I think it was 136. Hot!!

Needs a touch of water, at least for me. Barrel strength bottles wreck my palate.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I have steady access to Eagle Rare & Buffalo Trace

I always look for Blanton's but NEVER find it. I think it's just timing. I'm getting in good with the local liquor store owner. I'm going to see if she will save me a bottle of Blanton's when they get some. I do enough business over there that she should be willing to help me out. I like the thrill of the hunt and finding a gem, but I keep striking out on that one.

I don't even think Pappy hits the shelves anymore.
Blanton’s is tough to find these days for me. Most liquor stores keep it in the back and only sell to their regular customers. And they don’t get very much to begin with, so it’s scarce to start. Stores here in Austin also mark it way the fuck up now too. This past allocation season stores here were selling it in the $300-$500 range. Fucking crazy IMO, but they sell it at that price. I love it, but I’ll never pay that for it.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Blanton’s is tough to find these days for me. Most liquor stores keep it in the back and only sell to their regular customers. And they don’t get very much to begin with, so it’s scarce to start. Stores here in Austin also mark it way the fuck up now too. This past allocation season stores here were selling it in the $300-$500 range. Fucking crazy IMO, but they sell it at that price. I love it, but I’ll never pay that for it.
WTF? Yeah. I'm not spending that much. That's crazy.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
WTF? Yeah. I'm not spending that much. That's crazy.
yep, it’s liquid gold around here. Austin has a lot of tech industry people with money, and whiskey is a common hobby. So the stores can get away with it easy. Eagle is also hard to find here, only one small window each year. And my beloved WL Weller 12 is pretty much a ghost. I’ve only been able to find one bottle the past 5-6 years. Before that, it was on the shelf everywhere collecting dust. Now you have to have lots of luck and/or connections to get it. Weird how fast whiskey got popular.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
yep, it’s liquid gold around here. Austin has a lot of tech industry people with money, and whiskey is a common hobby. So the stores can get away with it easy. Eagle is also hard to find here, only one small window each year. And my beloved WL Weller 12 is pretty much a ghost. I’ve only been able to find one bottle the past 5-6 years. Before that, it was on the shelf everywhere collecting dust. Now you have to have lots of luck and/or connections to get it. Weird how fast whiskey got popular.
There is a liquor store that I know about that always has Eagle Rare. The last time I was there they had it at $28. It's a super small town and I guess nobody there drinks. Haha. The owner is always happy to see me because I usually buy all the Eagle he has. Typically 4 or 5 bottles.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
There is a liquor store that I know about that always has Eagle Rare. The last time I was there they had it at $28. It's a super small town and I guess nobody there drinks. Haha. The owner is always happy to see me because I usually buy all the Eagle he has. Typically 4 or 5 bottles.
I would also buy 4 or 5 at that price. I had a guy this year offer to sell me a bottle for $90. Bullshit. I love Eagle, but let's not get crazy.

More often, and when available, it's usually $50-$60 here.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
hey man, no need to rub it in! ;)

I already know that I spend way too much money on whiskey :) I just can’t bring myself to way overpay for these bottles when it’s crazy. The market in Texas is bonkers, and plenty of people will pay these prices so the precedent has already been set by the stores. Thing about Blanton’s that gets me, is that it’s basically Buffalo Trace that’s been chill filtered for smoothness. Same mash bill, but aged in a different warehouse. And, they have a shitload of it on hand, but the distillery plays the “demand” game which furthers the price gouging.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Special occasions call for a special bottle, so I picked this one up today. Pretty darn tasty!

Tons of shot is shut down here, but thankfully the liquor stores are still open here ;)

Tannerite

Mar 4, 2020
Have you tried old Forrester 100
It’s too amber color not to be E-150 added
but it marries well with Ice In a Highball Glass.

Tannerite

Mar 4, 2020
Eagle Rare the aged Buffalo Trace is the best in the spread. And highly addictive undervalued in the market.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Have you tried old Forrester 100
It’s too amber color not to be E-150 added
but it marries well with Ice In a Highball Glass.
I have tried the OF 100, and I like it fine. It’s not one I buy often, but I’m happy to drink it if it’s around. I prefer their single barrel though.

the one I posted earlier today (see a few posts up) has been enjoyable. Only had a couple of stoots but I dig it so far.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Tannerite @Tannerite

as far as the E150, I’m not sure. I don’t think that’s used in bourbon as much as other types of whiskies. I think if a bourbon is labeled “straight” it can’t have additives like that. I wouldn’t be surprised if some distillers use it, but I always thought it was more prevalent with cheaper whiskies and types other than true bourbons.

SuperPig @Willthiswork any thoughts or info on E150?

Welcome to the bourbon thread Tannerite @Tannerite ;)

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
My wife was originally planning to take me out to a fancy restaurant tonight that has a killer whiskey selection, but with this COVID shit going on those plans got canceled. To make up for it, she was able to raid the pantry and make me a homemade bourbon chocolate cake with a white chocolate bourbon ganache. She’s a keeper :D

and it was delicious!

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Hope y’all are staying healthy and happy during the shutdown/quarantine.

Thankfully, my whiskey cabinet is well stocked ;)

About to crack this one open and give it a try. After trying the 1897 (see post 341 above) and really enjoying it, I had to grab a bottle of this. Been digging OF lately.

cheers, and stay safe friends.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Hope y’all are staying healthy and happy during the shutdown/quarantine.

Thankfully, my whiskey cabinet is well stocked ;)

About to crack this one open and give it a try. After trying the 1897 (see post 341 above) and really enjoying it, I had to grab a bottle of this. Been digging OF lately.

cheers, and stay safe friends.

If you see the OF 1920... Snag it.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
If you see the OF 1920... Snag it.
Its available, I just haven’t tried it yet. I think that’s the last one out of that line I need to try. On the first sip, but this Statesman is pretty solid. I really liked the 1897, and the 1890 was good too. 1920 up next! That ones a little hotter isn’t it?

you have anything good opened up?

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
1920 up next! That ones a little hotter isn’t it?
1920 is 115 proof. It'll warm you up.

The 1910 is good but really charred. Definitely barrel heavy as it's a double barreled whiskey and they char the finishing barrel for 50 seconds or something silly instead of the normal 22.

And I haven't had a sip since I got the George T. ... And now with being shut in and my proclivities towards depression the last thing I want to do is start sipping too often. I'm still buying... Just not drinking.