Lifestyle Bourbon

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I’m not really a scotch guy either, but I sure wouldn’t turn that away as a gift! Also, you must work with nicer people than I do hah
One of my friends who doesn't drink bourbon got a bottle of Blanton's as a gift. I'm trying to weasel it away from him.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I’m not really a scotch guy either, but I sure wouldn’t turn that away as a gift! Also, you must work with nicer people than I do hah
He's a supervisor for the builder I contract off of. Really good guy, but everytime i see him he says 'can i ask a favor?"
Minor shit usually, but I was pushing to finish a house early to extend my holidays, and he asked me to start another house. Get the first floor capped so he could get heat pumping in the basement to take care of the frost.
Gives me a good start when I get back in January, plus a free bottle off booze.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I wish you great success
I was all "Sooooo, you actually going to drink this?"

He said he never drinks bourbon, but he'll give it a try. If he doesn't like it, he'll send it my way. I'm hoping he hates it, but that seems extremely unlikely.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
He said he never drinks bourbon, but he'll give it a try. If he doesn't like it, he'll send it my way.
If he doesn't drink his liquor neat or on the rocks, I imagine bourbon will have too much burn for him.
If he's a cocktail connoisseur, then you're probably hooped.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
If he doesn't drink his liquor neat or on the rocks, I imagine bourbon will have too much burn for him.
If he's a cocktail connoisseur, then you're probably hooped.
The giftor very explicitly told him not to mix it, so he'll likely drink it neat or on the rocks. Blanton's is smoother than a greased snake though, so I'm not sure how this is going to go.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
The giftor very explicitly told him not to mix it, so he'll likely drink it neat or on the rocks. Blanton's is smoother than a greased snake though, so I'm not sure how this is going to go.
Never understood that ideology. I'm not saying to mix your bourbon with coke like some bogan aussie like Miesha's Taint @Miesha's Taint (kidding bro!) but there's so many fantastic cocktails that are fun to make and enjoyable to drink.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Never understood that ideology. I'm not saying to mix your bourbon with coke like some bogan aussie like Miesha's Taint @Miesha's Taint (kidding bro!) but there's so many fantastic cocktails that are fun to make and enjoyable to drink.
My personal opinion is I try anything the first time on ice. I like all drinks ice cold. This is how I decide whether or not I like something. Beyond that, I'm not above adding a splash of coke. I like coke, sue me.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I mostly drink neat, but I do enjoy the occasional cocktail. Usually something simple like an old fashioned can be great with quality juice. Nice bourbon and coke is blasphemy in my house though.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
My personal opinion is I try anything the first time on ice. I like all drinks ice cold. This is how I decide whether or not I like something. Beyond that, I'm not above adding a splash of coke. I like coke, sue me.
I like things cold as well but think proper way to find out if you like a whiskey or not is to add a drop of water.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Everyone has their own tastes, but I usually only use ice or water when things go north of 100 proof. Some of that barrel strength stuff is rough without.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Everyone has their own tastes, but I usually only use ice or water when things go north of 100 proof. Some of that barrel strength stuff is rough without.
I respect it, just depends what kind of mood I'm in. Sometimes I want a stiff drink, sometimes I want the edge taken off.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I mostly drink neat, but I do enjoy the occasional cocktail. Usually something simple like an old fashioned can be great with quality juice. Nice bourbon and coke is blasphemy in my house though.
I had this black Manhattan once at this fancy restaurant a few years back. Best cocktail I've ever had and I've never been able to duplicate it. I can't find a bottle of averna to save my life.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
When we would do bourbon tastings we would try each one neat, with ice, and then with water. Over time I have developed preferences. I drink a lot of my ordinary selection neat, but have some others I know I like with ice or water. Some I don’t like with ice or water, others I do.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I had this black Manhattan once at this fancy restaurant a few years back. Best cocktail I've ever had and I've never been able to duplicate it. I can't find a bottle of averna to save my life.
I remember you telling me about that cocktail way earlier in this thread. I will see if I can find Averna here.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I remember you telling me about that cocktail way earlier in this thread. I will see if I can find Averna here.
I gave up looking awhile ago. Maybe I'll see if I can get it online somewhere.

It's basically an ol fashioned with averna and a date for garnish.