Lifestyle Bourbon

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Tuc Ouiner

Posting Machine
May 19, 2016
Can I be your friend Mr. Baboon Shite, I'd like to sip your Woodford, Pappy and whatever bourbon you have to offer? Ya like Alaskan green?

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Can I be your friend Mr. Baboon Shite, I'd like to sip your Woodford, Pappy and whatever bourbon you have to offer? Ya like Alaskan green?
Nobody likes to drink alone. Actually that's a lie!
Never heard of alaskan green, is it whiskey?

Tuc Ouiner

Posting Machine
May 19, 2016
Used to live in Barrow, Alaska for 6 yrs. (Now called Utqiagvik) Drove taxis there. People(Eskimos) were not exactly conissours of alcohol, but they were particular about the green stuff.Ya couldn't give away Mexican brick dirt weed. In fact, you'd find a village peace officer on your doorstep if you were trying to sell it. Point being, the intricacies of bourbon/scotch were very secondary to the affect. I had a secret stash of Lafroaig 10 yrs and I parted with 1 bottle to a customer who was used to drinking rot-gut(Canadian R&R). She thought I was sheisting her.I guess the moral of the story is that it's all relative.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Used to live in Barrow, Alaska for 6 yrs. (Now called Utqiagvik) Drove taxis there. People(Eskimos) were not exactly conissours of alcohol, but they were particular about the green stuff.Ya couldn't give away Mexican brick dirt weed. In fact, you'd find a village peace officer on your doorstep if you were trying to sell it. Point being, the intricacies of bourbon/scotch were very secondary to the affect. I had a secret stash of Lafroaig 10 yrs and I parted with 1 bottle to a customer who was used to drinking rot-gut(Canadian R&R). She thought I was sheisting her.I guess the moral of the story is that it's all relative.
I think it’s safe to say that if you found yourself near any of us in this thread, that we’d share any of our whiskey with you. Drinking buddies are always welcome, especially ones that appreciate fine spirits.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Excited for this one. Knob creek is a personal favorite and this small batch looks to be on steroids!

20210411_115033.jpg

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Gifted it many times on the recommendation of a couple people on here, but don't recall ever having it myself. I'm told that it's really good.

Don't forget that proof is just alcohol content.
Proof is also flavour, and for the price tag I prefer more bang for my buck. The knob creek was still cheaper than basil haydens and knob creek has yet to disappoint

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Proof is also flavour, and for the price tag I prefer more bang for my buck. The knob creek was still cheaper than basil haydens and knob creek has yet to disappoint
Proof isn't flavor. There is no alcohol in the world as delicious as an ice cold Coca Cola in a glass bottle, and that's exactly 0 proof.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Basil Hayden's was on sale, never had it but I'm wondering why the high price tag for such a low proof bourbon. Am I missing something Grateful Dude @Grateful Dude BeardOfKnowledge @CMNHWishesHeWasVaccinated Hauler @Hauler ?
It tastes good, but it is weak at 80 proof. You can see it in the color too, a bit lighter. I think I would like it better if they just put it out at 90-100 proof. And I agree, for the money, I want a bit more kick.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
It tastes good, but it is weak at 80 proof. You can see it in the color too, a bit lighter. I think I would like it better if they just put it out at 90-100 proof. And I agree, for the money, I want a bit more kick.
At it's price tag of $60+ CDN I feel like I'd just be paying for the packaging

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Proof isn't flavor. There is no alcohol in the world as delicious as an ice cold Coca Cola in a glass bottle, and that's exactly 0 proof.
In bourbon, proof can absolutely be related to flavor. It doesn’t create the flavor, but can change intensity. Unless you have barrel proof juice, they have added water to it to get the exact proof they want. It’s part of how they maintain consistency with their product.

in my experience, bottles watered down to 80 proof are thin tasting and lack kick. The flavor might not be bad, but it’s literally been watered down too much for my liking.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
That seems over priced a bit, but not horrible. I think Basil is $45ish USD here.
That was on sale and the knob creek was $51 so I grabbed that. I need some weight in my whiskey, and like I said I am more than able to add my own water.
Also lol at this review!

Basil Hayden's is probably one of the most boring bourbons around, and offensively priced in the Jim Beam line-up. I have a hard time believing that it won in any blind tasting parties, it's that underwhelming.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Basil makes a 10-year (has a black label) that is really good, but same thing - they knocked it down to 80, which bumps it down a peg for me. Tasty, but I’d like a lot more if it was a little more bold.

I will add though, that Basil (or other 80s) is great for cocktails.

But when sipping neat, I like a little more meat with my potatoes.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Picked up a bottle of Rod & Hammer's cask strength the other day at the supermarket. Surprisingly good at $40USD

Cask Bourbon Whiskey – Rod & Hammer's SLO Stills
Haven’t seen that one around here.
Looks like there is a high rye content, which I tend to like. 112 proof isn’t too crazy for cask strength. It’s those 120s and 130s that can be a bit too much neat. I have one bottle that is 130, I gotta add a touch of water to that one.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
Haven’t seen that one around here.
Looks like there is a high rye content, which I tend to like. 112 proof isn’t too crazy for cask strength. It’s those 120s and 130s that can be a bit too much neat. I have one bottle that is 130, I gotta add a touch of water to that one.
I still tend to add a couple drops of water from the RO tap to anything over 90 proof.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Picked up a bottle of Rod & Hammer's cask strength the other day at the supermarket. Surprisingly good at $40USD

Cask Bourbon Whiskey – Rod & Hammer's SLO Stills
How is California whiskey?

Texas has produced a lot of mediocre whiskey (and honestly, they still do), but there are a lot more distilleries/options now, and a few have figured it out and are making a great product. With a couple of exceptions, I was pretty down on Texas’ whiskey offerings for a long time. But there are some really good ones now.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Basil makes a 10-year (has a black label) that is really good, but same thing - they knocked it down to 80, which bumps it down a peg for me. Tasty, but I’d like a lot more if it was a little more bold.

I will add though, that Basil (or other 80s) is great for cocktails.

But when sipping neat, I like a little more meat with my potatoes.
Doesn't make sense to break the bank on cocktails imo

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
How is California whiskey?

Texas has produced a lot of mediocre whiskey (and honestly, they still do), but there are a lot more distilleries/options now, and a few have figured it out and are making a great product. With a couple of exceptions, I was pretty down on Texas’ whiskey offerings for a long time. But there are some really good ones now.
Haven't tried all that much CA whiskey TBH. I picked this one up because I noticed it was made in SLO & I'm from that area(NorCal now unfortunately). It was also in the price range of a Rye that I go for regularly (Pinhook). I do prefer Michters American & Woodford Double Oaked at the $40 pricepoint to this one but this really impressed me overall. Had it been in the $60-70 range I would have been let down but for $40 I feel it mixes it up in my rotation well.

Hope that makes sense.