Lifestyle Bourbon

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Haven't tried all that much CA whiskey TBH. I picked this one up because I noticed it was made in SLO & I'm from that area(NorCal now unfortunately). It was also in the price range of a Rye that I go for regularly (Pinhook). I do prefer Michters American & Woodford Double Oaked at the $40 pricepoint to this one but this really impressed me overall. Had it been in the $60-70 range I would have been let down but for $40 I feel it mixes it up in my rotation well.

Hope that makes sense.
I’ve been sampling different ryes lately, and I’ve seen that Pinhook around but haven’t grabbed a bottle yet to try out. Michters is really solid at its price.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
I’ve been sampling different ryes lately, and I’ve seen that Pinhook around but haven’t grabbed a bottle yet to try out. Michters is really solid at its price.
Pinhook is $37-45 in my area. It's not so spicy as to be offending but has enough to make a solid presence. For my taste, it's a very good Rye neat.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Pinhook is $37-45 in my area. It's not so spicy as to be offending but has enough to make a solid presence. For my taste, it's a very good Rye neat.
Good to know, I mostly drink neat.

it’s been on my list to try at some point, so I’ll bump that up to my next bottle of rye to sample.

my favorite new rye layer is this one. Damn good IMO

C844E182-F823-4D99-B427-31963EEAA199.jpeg

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
In bourbon, proof can absolutely be related to flavor. It doesn’t create the flavor, but can change intensity. Unless you have barrel proof juice, they have added water to it to get the exact proof they want. It’s part of how they maintain consistency with their product.

in my experience, bottles watered down to 80 proof are thin tasting and lack kick. The flavor might not be bad, but it’s literally been watered down too much for my liking.
I 100% agree proof is related to flavor, I wouldn't attempt to contest otherwise. I also wouldn't look at a bottle of bourbon and go "Well, this is good/shit. Look at the proof!" Proof tells a very small part of the story.

Case in point. Wild Turkey 101 or Blanton's Original. Which would you pick?

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Haven't tried all that much CA whiskey TBH. I picked this one up because I noticed it was made in SLO & I'm from that area(NorCal now unfortunately). It was also in the price range of a Rye that I go for regularly (Pinhook). I do prefer Michters American & Woodford Double Oaked at the $40 pricepoint to this one but this really impressed me overall. Had it been in the $60-70 range I would have been let down but for $40 I feel it mixes it up in my rotation well.

Hope that makes sense.
I would've spent the money just to have that nice bottle in my cabinet

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021

it’s been on my list to try at some point, so I’ll bump that up to my next bottle of rye to sample.

View attachment 32991

View attachment 32991
Looks like my local Total Wine doesn't have the straight rye but one called x-ray rye 4yr. Will have to check out local mom & pop spot for a better selection

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I 100% agree proof is related to flavor, I wouldn't attempt to contest otherwise. I also wouldn't look at a bottle of bourbon and go "Well, this is good/shit. Look at the proof!" Proof tells a very small part of the story.

I don’t think anyone said that looking at the proof is the way to determine if a bottle was good or shit. We were specifically talking about an 80 proof bottle. For many, that’s thinner than they like to spend money on. We all agreed that Basils is good, but I’d like it better at a higher proof. Just my opinion after trying a number of 80 bottles. They’re good, but can taste weak.

lol at those examples, you know the answer. But they aren’t 80proof bottles like we were talking about. For my personal taste, I prefer 90-108 as my sweet spot.

this goes the same way for me with higher proof stuff. I don’t tend to like barrel strength as much. So if I see a bottle at like 120s or 130s, I stay away generally.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015

You may be overthinking what I was getting at. Not like I said I was grabbing a bottle of bacardi 151 and saying it's good shit because of the alcohol content.
Simply couldn't justify paying a premium price on a bottle that was low proof, regardless of the recommendations.
Judging by reviews I was correct in my judgement. Now I'm sipping on a better whiskey at less of a cost.
Sure Basil Haydens may be enjoyable, but from what I've reaearched, it's a beginners whiskey. A watered down whiskey, at a premium so newbies can tell you how 'smooth' it is.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
You may be overthinking what I was getting at. Not like I said I was grabbing a bottle of bacardi 151 and saying it's good shit because of the alcohol content.
Simply couldn't justify paying a premium price on a bottle that was low proof, regardless of the recommendations.
Judging by reviews I was correct in my judgement. Now I'm sipping on a better whiskey at less of a cost.
Sure Basil Haydens may be enjoyable, but from what I've reaearched, it's a beginners whiskey. A watered down whiskey, at a premium so newbies can tell you how 'smooth' it is.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
ShatsBassoon @ShatsBassoon

I've been to the Still Austin distillery, but it was when they first opened and they only had white dog available (They had juice in barrels, but not any finished bourbon ready). They are really new, and I think the straight bourbon was only ready for shelves like a year ago or something. Maybe before Covid pandemic hit, but it couldn't be much longer IIRC.

Honestly, I need to buy a bottle myself to support the local guys, and also to give my self the chance to get to know it better. I have only tried it once, and here is what I can say about it. Like many other Texas whiskies, it is only aged for two years. They (I mean all Texas distilleries) claim that they can get away with whiskey that young because of our hotter climate. In general, I prefer older bourbon even with our climate. 2-year bourbon tends to lack complexity, although I will say this one does better there than others have. But I think a little more time in the barrel would do this one some good. At the same time, I understand that they needed to get bottles out and on shelves so they could start generating revenue after floating for the first few years. This one was pretty good for a 2-year, but I think it could be better with more barrel time. I think as this distillery grows into their britches, they will put out some even better stuff. It's worth a try for sure, but it is a slightly overpriced IMO. It's around $45 here, and for me that's a lot for a 2-year. But, they are also a small craft distillery, so that also tends to reflect in the price. I look forward to seeing how these guys do after some more years under their belt. I've heard they are working on some higher end offerings that just aren't ready yet.

I assume you have had Baker's before? I like Baker's fine, and it certainly isn't something I'd turn away if offered to me. But it isn't one I buy very often. Maybe I am just a cheap bastard, but I also feel like Baker's is a bit overpriced.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
ShatsBassoon @ShatsBassoon

I've been to the Still Austin distillery, but it was when they first opened and they only had white dog available (They had juice in barrels, but not any finished bourbon ready). They are really new, and I think the straight bourbon was only ready for shelves like a year ago or something. Maybe before Covid pandemic hit, but it couldn't be much longer IIRC.

Honestly, I need to buy a bottle myself to support the local guys, and also to give my self the chance to get to know it better. I have only tried it once, and here is what I can say about it. Like many other Texas whiskies, it is only aged for two years. They (I mean all Texas distilleries) claim that they can get away with whiskey that young because of our hotter climate. In general, I prefer older bourbon even with our climate. 2-year bourbon tends to lack complexity, although I will say this one does better there than others have. But I think a little more time in the barrel would do this one some good. At the same time, I understand that they needed to get bottles out and on shelves so they could start generating revenue after floating for the first few years. This one was pretty good for a 2-year, but I think it could be better with more barrel time. I think as this distillery grows into their britches, they will put out some even better stuff. It's worth a try for sure, but it is a slightly overpriced IMO. It's around $45 here, and for me that's a lot for a 2-year. But, they are also a small craft distillery, so that also tends to reflect in the price. I look forward to seeing how these guys do after some more years under their belt. I've heard they are working on some higher end offerings that just aren't ready yet.

I assume you have had Baker's before? I like Baker's fine, and it certainly isn't something I'd turn away if offered to me. But it isn't one I buy very often. Maybe I am just a cheap bastard, but I also feel like Baker's is a bit overpriced.
Very informative. I'm gonna see what else is out there. Would like to get a nice bottle to soften the blow of closing my business. ?