Lifestyle Bourbon

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Damn, hadn’t heard that yet. That must have been one hell of a blaze.

That’s a lot of booze in the river (although it’s hard to tell how much burned vs how much made it to the water), but that can’t be good for the wildlife. In my line of work we use alcohol (ethanol) to kill and preserve critters, and it’s pretty effective at doing so.

I imagine quite a few invertebrates, amphibians, and fish kicked the bucket. Some of these critters are pretty sensitive to sudden changes in dissolved oxygen content, pH, etc; and then of course the direct contact with the alcohol

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Any of you dudes fans of the Jefferson's products? Their base model is fine, and I've also tried a few of their fancier options (although they get a bit pricey). I've tried the Pritchard Hill Hill Cabernet Cask Finished, The Groth Cask Finish, and the Ocean. I saw today that they now also offer a wheated version of the Ocean.

They call it the Jefferson's Wood Experiment, and you get 5 different half-pints. Kind of cool, and I'd like to try them...but $95.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Also saw this today:

Any of you guys tried Bird Dog? The 10-year caught my eye, as you don't see stuff that old very often these days. The small batch was only like $25 (which has me skeptical of quality), and this 10 was $60. They guy in the liquor store didn't sell me on it either...he described is as "very oaky", and that while it has some good flavor notes, it is harsh for a 10-year.

As a bird dog lover, I still want to try it sometime though...

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Also saw this today:

Any of you guys tried Bird Dog? The 10-year caught my eye, as you don't see stuff that old very often these days. The small batch was only like $25 (which has me skeptical of quality), and this 10 was $60. They guy in the liquor store didn't sell me on it either...he described is as "very oaky", and that while it has some good flavor notes, it is harsh for a 10-year.

I haven't seen that. But I'm not surprised that something in the 10 year range is oaky. That's fairly common unless a spirit has some other strong notes to knock that sharpness down.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I haven't seen that. But I'm not surprised that something in the 10 year range is oaky. That's fairly common unless a spirit has some other strong notes to knock that sharpness down.
Yeah. I think the point he was trying to convey is that it mostly oak, and not much of the other flavors or complexity you’d expect from 10s.

Never talked to this dude before though either, so he might not know shit ;)
For a salesman, he sure didn’t convince me to try it haha. I’m going to look it up though and see what some reviews say. I’m interested in older bourbons like this, so I imagine I’ll grab a bottle at some point. So many bottles on the shelf are 4 or younger.

Most of the stuff coming out of Texas is 2 or less. The TX distilleries have the attitude of “2 years here is the same as 4 there” or similar, but I haven’t found it to be equal. I like a bourbon that’s had some time to develop, and it can’t simply be rushed because of climate. Sure it the warmer climate helps things move along faster, but it isn’t the magic ingredient/method IMO.

BenAskrensStrikingcoach

Formerly formulating formally
Jan 30, 2015
Good thread, I have a few ideas for the next bottle of fire water I will pick up.

I doubt I will be able to find many of the bottles mentioned in this thread here though, will go have an informed gander when I am back home on Saturday.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Good thread, I have a few ideas for the next bottle of fire water I will pick up.

I doubt I will be able to find many of the bottles mentioned in this thread here though, will go have an informed gander when I am back home on Saturday.

Where you at?

Saw a new bottle of rye from Basil Hayden today. It's cut with Canadian whisky and Caribbean rum. I thought I was going to cry.

But I did pick this up to add to my "need to try" collection.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Where you at?

Saw a new bottle of rye from Basil Hayden today. It's cut with Canadian whisky and Caribbean rum. I thought I was going to cry.

ooh nice, i haven’t tried the distiller’s select.

how is it?

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Haven't opened it yet but since it's a wheat I couldn't resist picking it up. $35.
I like the wheat too.

thats not a bad price at all, I would’ve guessed a little higher.

I don’t buy Jefferson’s that much, but I’ve been wanting to try their Chef Collaboration bottle. Mix of their bourbon and rye.

BenAskrensStrikingcoach

Formerly formulating formally
Jan 30, 2015
Where you at?

Ireland.

I think I might have to wait a bit to go bourbon shopping this weekend though, running a pretty bad fever here, might have to go to the hospital.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Also saw this today:

When I had it, it was really good and looked like this:

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Go for the $25.
my wallet likes your recommendation

I’m just a sucker for 10+ year bourbons. So many newer brands I see are doing around 2 year aging and I’m not a fan. The older ones can have more character, for better or worse.

In my whiskey club we used to do blind tastings every so often. It’s interesting to see what people choose or like best in those. More money doesn’t necessarily mean better flavor. Sometimes yes, but there were a lot of surprises during the blind tastings. On that line of thinking, I’d be curious to try the two of these next to each other and see if the 10 is worth the extra $35. Fair chance it might not be.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
my wallet likes your recommendation

I’m just a sucker for 10+ year bourbons. So many newer brands I see are doing around 2 year aging and I’m not a fan. The older ones can have more character, for better or worse.

In my whiskey club we used to do blind tastings every so often. It’s interesting to see what people choose or like best in those. More money doesn’t necessarily mean better flavor. Sometimes yes, but there were a lot of surprises during the blind tastings. On that line of thinking, I’d be curious to try the two of these next to each other and see if the 10 is worth the extra $35. Fair chance it might not be.
I say get the cheap one because in my opinion that's the first thing you should judge a liquor company on. "What are they know for selling?" Anyone can hire some master distiller, sit him in a lab and have him come up with something great that you'll charge a fortune for. Not everyone can make something great for the masses.