General Buying whole/half Cow, Lamb or Piggy?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
Good timing. My BIL and I were talking Sunday about splitting half a cow. I've been looking at garage ready deep freezers too. Thinking about this one
View attachment 122487
The problem I see with those instead of upright is you can't see exactly what you have without digging to the bottom. IMO too much stuff will end up buried. Assuming you add food to the freezer, what is on the bottom will be forgotten and end up with freezer burn by the time you dig for it. You'd have to remove everything, add new meats to the bottom, then add back in the older meat to put it on top.

Rambo John J

Baker Team
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I have used vertical cardboard dividers to divide chest freezer into different compartments/meat cuts

Stand up Freezer is easier to see obviously

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
There isn't a side window. What's on the bottom is on the bottom, whether in crates or not. You'd have to remove everything on top to get to the bottom, then pull out everything in the crates on the bottom to see what's buried. To each their own, but upright seems much more efficient so nothing is forgotten until it's too late.

MountainMedic

Rock Kicker
Sep 28, 2017
There isn't a side window. What's on the bottom is on the bottom, whether in crates or not. You'd have to remove everything on top to get to the bottom, then pull out everything in the crates on the bottom to see what's buried. To each their own, but upright seems much more efficient so nothing is forgotten until it's too late.

Rambo John J

Baker Team
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
That's fucking awesome. What cuts did you end up with and all that? Hard to do that in Vegas.. but I may have to make a drive back to Laramie to get their local beef.
80ish Lbs of beef
maybe 50-60 of burger and the rest is various steaks/roasts/etc..
around $9 per pound I believe

Not huge animals obviously

Rambo John J

Baker Team
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Same. I prefer that.. Its my dream to have the American Wagyu of Lamb and sell it. Am I a rancher? Fuck no, but can learn and definitely hire the right people for the job.
Same here.
Need to acquire the land to do such a thing.
I'm in a good location but lacking the disposable income currently.

Rambo John J

Baker Team
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Looking at Wyoming for it. May be too cold for them though. Maybe northern Nevada in Winnemucca area.
Would love to check out those areas. Water and Cold would probably be the main issues?

Tons of livestock in my valley in Oregon, I just need a few acres(or a couple dozen).

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
Would love to check out those areas. Water and Cold would probably be the main issues?

Tons of livestock in my valley in Oregon, I just need a few acres(or a couple dozen).
I love Burns area of Oregon. We stop there to and from Seattle.. Love it there. Wish they joined Nevada instead of the idaho shit they chose.

kvr28

Ghost of KVR
Nov 22, 2015

Scottish highland are good in the cold and pretty docile. Plus they look bad ass.