Lifestyle Chinese Flu Virus Quarantine Cooking Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I’d appreciate it. I used chili powder last time and I think it was expired it just weak because I put 8 times what was recommended. I’m trying to step my game up and I’d be grateful for the help.
no problem at all, amigo. I’m on my phone now, but I’ll get out my laptop later and type up a recipe for you.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Made skirt steak....

Get some local raised cow. Take the skirt steak and trim off excess fat. It's a fatty cut. Don't worry too much!

Make a marinade. I like Alton Brown's but I add more pepper, more cumin, less sugar, more soy sauce.

Meat in the marinade...

Toss it in a bag and throw it in the fridge for an hour or more. I did almost three.

get a HOT grill going. If I had a better setup I'd even think about heating up the coals, knocking off the char, and cooking DIRECT ON THE COALS.

If not direct, get your grate real low so you're cooking HOT. This is a thin meat that will cook fast. 3-4 minutes each side max.

And done. Wrap in foil for 15 minutes.

Take out and put some lime on it...

Cut AGAINST the grain...

Looking good!!!

Put it back in the foil juices and toss around.

SERVE with a corona beer.

Last edited:

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
Now that we are all being good citizens and staying home practicing social distancing, what's everyone cooking?

I'm firing up the smoker here in a bit to do some hickory smoked ribs today, like a good Texan.
I see you love talking about and looking at your own and other men’s meat as much as the other posters here.

You should check out the cooking thread.

Lifestyle - Whatcha cooking?

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I’d appreciate it. I used chili powder last time and I think it was expired it just weak because I put 8 times what was recommended. I’m trying to step my game up and I’d be grateful for the help.
Man the big secret to really Seasoning chili is to use a bunch of Seasoning. When you think you've used enough taste it, you'll see you haven't, and then add way more. And try a variety of different things. Salt, pepper, fennel seeds, ground cumin, paprika, Mexican chili powder, chili powder, garlic, turmeric. Just throw the whole spice rack at it.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
That looks fantastic. I bet it's delicious meat.
edited post to have pics in order for a recipe.
It's delicious. This is the first skirt steak ive had from this cow. It's better tasting than the store BY FAR but the steak is smaller than usually sold.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
edited post to have pics in order for a recipe.
It's delicious. This is the first skirt steak ive had from this cow. It's better tasting than the store BY FAR but the steak is smaller than usually sold.
I need to buy a cattle.

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
no problem at all, amigo. I’m on my phone now, but I’ll get out my laptop later and type up a recipe for you.
I really appreciate it.

Man the big secret to really Seasoning chili is to use a bunch of Seasoning. When you think you've used enough taste it, you'll see you haven't, and then add way more. And try a variety of different things. Salt, pepper, fennel seeds, ground cumin, paprika, Mexican chili powder, chili powder, garlic, turmeric. Just throw the whole spice rack at it.
I used Mexican chili powder and I bought every pepper on the rack, besides the habanero. It was ok but it just lacked a distinctive flavor. From the sounds of it I really need to buy a gang of spices. I generally don’t spice my steaks and burger up to much because I’d rather taste the meat than the spices, but chili is a different story.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I need to buy a cattle.
I bought a half cow. First time doing it. It's half angus and half wagyu. It's fatty for sure. Like do a burger and you better have a spray bottle nearby. Buttttt, it's super tasty and the steaks are amazing from the marbling.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I really appreciate it.

I used Mexican chili powder and I bought every pepper on the rack, besides the habanero. It was ok but it just lacked a distinctive flavor. From the sounds of it I really need to buy a gang of spices. I generally don’t spice my steaks and burger up to much because I’d rather taste the meat than the spices, but chili is a different story.
Exactly it my man, plus once it sits for a day or 2 in the fridge, oh man, flavor town.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I just told my wife we need to do that. Should be easy enough to find around here.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
It’s worth it, especially in times like this. My dad raises and butchers a couple cows a year and I go over and raid that shit too. Cheapest grocery store around.
We had this processed as a combo with basically half steaks half hamburger. I think it ended up being around 6.50 a pound. So I'm losing money on burger but my ribeyes are half the cost as the store. I'm not sure I saved a lot of money or anything, but it's better quality meat and I'm supporting a local rancher. Plus it's all natural grassfed organic green. I'm a veritable hippy over here.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
It’s worth it, especially in times like this. My dad raises and butchers a couple cows a year and I go over and raid that shit too. Cheapest grocery store around.
We hunt and fish so we have deer and other meat stocked up. Going fishing next Friday so that should replenish our fish stash. But I love steaks. Do a reverse sear, smoker until it's about 110 IT, then onto a charcoal grill at 650+, about 60 seconds each side TOPS. wow. Amazing.

Jdog93

.....?
Jun 2, 2016
Made skirt steak....

Get some local raised cow. Take the skirt steak and trim off excess fat. It's a fatty cut. Don't worry too much!

Make a marinade. I like Alton Brown's but I add more pepper, more cumin, less sugar, more soy sauce.

Meat in the marinade...

Toss it in a bag and throw it in the fridge for an hour or more. I did almost three.

get a HOT grill going. If I had a better setup I'd even think about heating up the coals, knocking off the char, and cooking DIRECT ON THE COALS.

If not direct, get your grate real low so you're cooking HOT. This is a thin meat that will cook fast. 3-4 minutes each side max.

And done. Wrap in foil for 15 minutes.

Take out and put some lime on it...

Cut AGAINST the grain...

Looking good!!!

Put it back in the foil juices and toss around.

SERVE with a corona beer.
Not Boiled...

1/5 Would NOT eat.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
I bought a half cow. First time doing it. It's half angus and half wagyu. It's fatty for sure. Like do a burger and you better have a spray bottle nearby. Buttttt, it's super tasty and the steaks are amazing from the marbling.
So your half cow came from two different cattle? Was it by weight?

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
yes. A big vat of delicious chili.

I can give you and update later tonight on how good it is.

On a serious note, are you actually out of food? Grocery stores here are crazy.
I've not eaten since Monday. I have loads of food tho. Just bin being a social hand grenade.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
But I love steaks. Do a reverse sear, smoker until it's about 110 IT, then onto a charcoal grill at 650+, about 60 seconds each side TOPS. wow. Amazing.

I am cooking on a Kamado Joe.
It's amazing for this type of thing. Only down side is you can't go hot to cold easily because the ceramic holds so much heat. But get it low and slow and then open the vents and can get it all the way to 900F if you wanted.

Does not do two zone cooking wonderfully, but can be done.
Excels at smoking. I can keep it at 225 for 16-18 hours for a brisket with NO additional fuel added...

Not Boiled...

1/5 Would NOT eat.
I've had to make compromises during these trying times.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I'm north of Addison, I'm like the north edge of the metroplex
Don't know what the fuck that means, I was in Addison a couple times tho. Met some smoking hot black chick in the yardhouse there. Think she was a lezza tho

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
So your half cow came from two different cattle? Was it by weight?
hybrid cow from an angus dad and wagyu mom.

hanging weight was 300 something pounds.
Your processed weight depends on cow but mostly your meat cut selection. More steaks means less processed weight. More hamburger means more processed weight.

I buy half cow and the guy brings to processor and then delivered to my house.

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
We had this processed as a combo with basically half steaks half hamburger. I think it ended up being around 6.50 a pound. So I'm losing money on burger but my ribeyes are half the cost as the store. I'm not sure I saved a lot of money or anything, but it's better quality meat and I'm supporting a local rancher. Plus it's all natural grassfed organic green. I'm a veritable hippy over here.
That’s really the point, it’s the quality and you’re buying it local and not supporting factory farms. Plus, you get the organ meat, I love me some beef heart and liver. Tongue sammiches are God’s gift. I don’t mind the tough cuts either, I’ll hammer a round steak into Bolivia and pan fry that whore.
We hunt and fish so we have deer and other meat stocked up. Going fishing next Friday so that should replenish our fish stash. But I love steaks. Do a reverse sear, smoker until it's about 110 IT, then onto a charcoal grill at 650+, about 60 seconds each side TOPS. wow. Amazing.
I feel ya. I wish I had more time these past few years to elk hunt more, but it is what it is. When I lived in Michigan it was a lot easier because hunting land was right down the street and so were the lakes for fishing and duck/goose hunting. Wild game is the best shit around.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I am cooking on a Kamado Joe.
It's amazing for this type of thing. Only down side is you can't go hot to cold easily because the ceramic holds so much heat. But get it low and slow and then open the vents and can get it all the way to 900F if you wanted.

Does not do two zone cooking wonderfully, but can be done.
Excels at smoking. I can keep it at 225 for 16-18 hours for a brisket with NO additional fuel added...

I've had to make compromises during these trying times.
Nice I've heard great things about those. I mainly use my reverse flow offset for smoking, then I have a weber kettle and a weber natural gas grill hooked up to a natural gas line for the grilling and searing

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
hybrid cow from an angus dad and wagyu mom.

hanging weight was 300 something pounds.
Your processed weight depends on cow but mostly your meat cut selection. More steaks means less processed weight. More hamburger means more processed weight.

I buy half cow and the guy brings to processor and then delivered to my house.
Door they hunt deer?