Society Corona - Stock Market thinktank

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SoupCan

how bout dat
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
guy at my work just set his retirement at 52 years old, he made some pretty good money day trading gold and bought bitcoin at a cheap price.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Resolute forest
RFP
+15%. Shout out to @
Hauler
@Hauler
Just hit a 52 week high.
Up 7.5% today to $11.58

FYI - Lumber is still at record levels and climbs higher each week. Mills are completely in control. For the month of May, futures will likely hit $1000/m - which has never happened and will only strengthen the cash markets.

To equate it to a single 2x4 8' SPF board...
This time last year: $1.86
Today: $5.48

You can fit 72 units of 2x4 8' on a railcar - so 21,168 pieces. That cost difference equates to $76,628 more per railcar that the mills are pocketing. What was a $39,373 order is now a tick over $116,000.

Lumber mills are printing money faster than DC is for the stimmies.

Yes- These increases are being passed down the line to the end user (homebuyer).

M

member 1013

Just hit a 52 week high.
Up 7.5% today to $11.58

FYI - Lumber is still at record levels and climbs higher each week. Mills are completely in control. For the month of May, futures will likely hit $1000/m - which has never happened and will only strengthen the cash markets.

You can fit 72 units of 2x4 8' on a railcar - so 21,168 pieces. That cost difference equates to $76,628 more per railcar that the mills are pocketing. What was a $39,373 order is now a tick over $116,000.

Yes- These increases are being passed down the line to the end user (homebuyer).
Tell me what do

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Just hit a 52 week high.
Up 7.5% today to $11.58

Damn. It’s crazy how much lumber price has gone up. I needed a sheet of OSB recently and it was almost $45 at Home Depot. Used to be like $20ish.

it’s driving up the cost of new construction here for sure.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Tell me what do
No clue. I never like buying in at 52 week highs, and it's already well over my price target when I first got in.

But the lumber market doesn't show any signs of slowing down yet. A continued run up to the $15 level wouldn't be shocking, but it is risky to buy into a stock that's been this hot. Eventually a correction for both this stock and the lumber market in general will come.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Damn. It’s crazy how much lumber price has gone up. I needed a sheet of OSB recently and it was almost $45 at Home Depot. Used to be like $20ish.

it’s driving up the cost of new construction here for sure.
Dude. OSB is even worse.

There isn't a single component in the building industry that hasn't had significant increases.
EWP, steel, windows, doors. All are up a minimum of 30% fron a year ago. Many of those won't come back down - that's just their new level (for stocks, that would effect JELD, DOOR, BXC, BCC, etc) - but like RFP, I suspect many of those already had a healthy run up in stock price.

Shingles are very hard to source right now. Same with drywall. Suppliers are on allocation - where they might only be getting 50% of what they actually need. The box stores get 1st pick due to volume so you will still see it on the shelves - it's everyone else that's left scrambling for the scraps.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Dude. OSB is even worse.

There isn't a single component in the building industry that hasn't had significant increases.
EWP, steel, windows, doors. All are up a minimum of 30% fron a year ago. Many of those won't come back down - that's just their new level (for stocks, that would effect JELD, DOOR, BXC, BCC, etc) - but like RFP, I suspect many of those already had a healthy run up in stock price.

Shingles are very hard to source right now. Same with drywall. Suppliers are on allocation - where they might only be getting 50% of what they actually need. The box stores get 1st pick due to volume so you will still see it on the shelves - it's everyone else that's left scrambling for the scraps.
Dude, tell me about it. I'm pricing sliding patio doors right now (I shattered mine with a pebble from the mower for fucks sake), and holy shit they are pricey right now. We had looked into changing this door a couple of years ago, and doors are now at least $500 more than what we saw back then. My hand is forced now with it being broken, but god damn. I got a quote on a door yesterday that has the blinds between the glass, and it was $3700. I mean, it's nice hah, but I'm not looking to spend that much on a fucking door. Probably going to have to spend at least $2k on a door though, so I'll probably fall somewhere in the middle of those 2 numbers.

There is a Pella showroom here in town I'm going to go look at and see what they have. Read some shitty reviews on Anderson doors, so let me know if you have any suggestions on brand.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Dude, tell me about it. I'm pricing sliding patio doors right now (I shattered mine with a pebble from the mower for fucks sake), and holy shit they are pricey right now. We had looked into changing this door a couple of years ago, and doors are now at least $500 more than what we saw back then. My hand is forced now with it being broken, but god damn. I got a quote on a door yesterday that has the blinds between the glass, and it was $3700. I mean, it's nice hah, but I'm not looking to spend that much on a fucking door. Probably going to have to spend at least $2k on a door though, so I'll probably fall somewhere in the middle of those 2 numbers.

There is a Pella showroom here in town I'm going to go look at and see what they have. Read some shitty reviews on Anderson doors, so let me know if you have any suggestions on brand.
Pella and Anderson are both decent products. Be sure to ask about lead time - that might be an issue too.

Is it exposed to a lot of weather (driving rain)

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Pella and Anderson are both decent products. Be sure to ask about lead time - that might be an issue too.

Is it exposed to a lot of weather (driving rain)
Yes, it is exposed to weather. It's a patio door, and there is no roof or awning over the patio. I'd like to add a roof, but for now it is exposed to the elements. I kind of want a door that is finished wood facing inside for the aesthetic, but something more weatherproof for the outside.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Acadia (ACAD) had a drug application rejected by the FDA

It's down 15% today and has hit a 52 wk low.
Trading at $21.65

It was $58 in July 2020

Added to watch list. If it hits $15 I might bite.