General Corona virus updates

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Wow, that’s fucking crazy then. Why are you being forced to wait four months in between shots?
Our government completely screwed the pooch on ordering vaccines. So their solution was "Instead of vaccinating half the people, let's give them all one and book them appointments for when we should have enough second doses. Because one dose gives adequate coverage"*

We got the ability to move up our appointments for second doses because when the American rollout stalled Biden started sending them up here. Then there was a change in eligibility so they started hoarding Pfizer for the under 18 crowd as Moderna isn't approved for them. This created a scenario where those who moved their appointment got their second dose as Moderna even if they had received Pfizer on the first round.**

Virtually everyone who got these mixed doses got their shit pushed in for days/weeks after. Which caused apprehension from people who hadn't already moved up their second dose appointment. Ie, One of my co-workers said to me "I want my second dose, and was going to move it up, but I'm not taking a mixed dose so I'll just wait until September."***

* Pointing out this was not a recommended usage by the manufacturer or that there was no data to support the move makes you an "anti-vaxxer"

** Pointing out there's no evidence to suggest that mixing doses is a smart thing to do makes you an "anti-vaxxer"

*** Saying you'd rather wait because you don't want to mix doses makes you an "anti-vaxxer"

TheFifthScallop

Who am I kidding? I’m a whore.
Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
Our government completely screwed the pooch on ordering vaccines. So their solution was "Instead of vaccinating half the people, let's give them all one and book them appointments for when we should have enough second doses. Because one dose gives adequate coverage"*

We got the ability to move up our appointments for second doses because when the American rollout stalled Biden started sending them up here. Then there was a change in eligibility so they started hoarding Pfizer for the under 18 crowd as Moderna isn't approved for them. This created a scenario where those who moved their appointment got their second dose as Moderna even if they had received Pfizer on the first round.**

Virtually everyone who got these mixed doses got their shit pushed in for days/weeks after. Which caused apprehension from people who hadn't already moved up their second dose appointment. Ie, One of my co-workers said to me "I want my second dose, and was going to move it up, but I'm not taking a mixed dose so I'll just wait until September."***

* Pointing out this was not a recommended usage by the manufacturer or that there was no data to support the move makes you an "anti-vaxxer"

** Pointing out there's no evidence to suggest that mixing doses is a smart thing to do makes you an "anti-vaxxer"

*** Saying you'd rather wait because you don't want to mix doses makes you an "anti-vaxxer"
Yeah, I’d say you’re state government fucked up pretty bad then.

M

member 3289

K @kaladin stormblessed

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – Five people were told to leave a Spirit Airlines flight out of Fort Lauderdale Friday night after they refused to wear masks inside the plane, according to the Broward Sheriff’s Office. After they left the plane, the disruption continued to spill over inside Terminal 4 when BSO deputies arrived.

That’s when two of the men were arrested after reportedly shoving deputies and the other three also taken into custody.

Spirit Airlines personnel had reportedly asked the men identified as William J. Lloyd, 53, Drake William Loyd, 24, Michael A. Lloyd, 23, John Anthony Bruce, 24, and Matthew L. Novak, 24, to leave the plane over what the airline described as a “mask violation” inside the aircraft. All were from New Jersey.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
K @kaladin stormblessed

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – Five people were told to leave a Spirit Airlines flight out of Fort Lauderdale Friday night after they refused to wear masks inside the plane, according to the Broward Sheriff’s Office. After they left the plane, the disruption continued to spill over inside Terminal 4 when BSO deputies arrived.

That’s when two of the men were arrested after reportedly shoving deputies and the other three also taken into custody.

Spirit Airlines personnel had reportedly asked the men identified as William J. Lloyd, 53, Drake William Loyd, 24, Michael A. Lloyd, 23, John Anthony Bruce, 24, and Matthew L. Novak, 24, to leave the plane over what the airline described as a “mask violation” inside the aircraft. All were from New Jersey.

lol you can tell by looking at them that they are degenerates

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
You would never hear a peep from me from a patient or anybody else that wants to just say "I understand the vaccines work most of the time and lower my risk of hospitalization and death compared to being unvaccinated. Even then I don't know why but I'm still a little bit leery and I just don't really want to get it right now." or "hey, I understand the vaccines have data but philosophically I'm very focused on naturalism/my religion/other non simple math reason".

I have Jehovah's witness patients. I don't try to convince them to take blood transfusions. They already know that in the case of severe anemia a blood transfusion will save their life. I have good studies on this and the risk of transfusion reaction is lower than the risk of anemia. That's my math. They have additional non statistics playing into their choice.

If this lady wasn't accusing everybody else of being essentially devil worshipers, I could probably find a way to parse her language into a religious choice where she trusts that if she dies it was God's will. But once you start telling everybody else they are devil worshipers, sheep, etc. I think you open yourself up for fair criticism of your opinion.

MMAPlaywright

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
An internal slide presentation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention dated Thursday gives new details on how dangerous the delta variant really is.

One chart shows that it could be as contagious as chickenpox, which is one of the more transmissible viruses out there. It spreads more easily than the common cold, the 1918 flu and smallpox.

The document was first obtained and published by The Washington Post.

It also says that in addition to being more contagious, the delta variant likely increases the risk of severe disease and hospitalization, compared with the original strain.

A summary slide says that because of the delta variant, the agency should "acknowledge that the war has changed." It also recommends that the agency ramp up communications so the public will understand that vaccines still greatly reduce the risk of death and severe disease.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
It also says that in addition to being more contagious, the delta variant likely increases the risk of severe disease and hospitalization, compared with the original strain.
I'd be very interested in seeing the specifics of this. Is that on a case-by-case basis? If I get 1,000 infections with the original or 1,000 infections with the Delta (in the same population) do I see a higher hospitalization and severe disease rate? Or is this a statement on breakthrough infection because of less vaccine effectiveness against the strain?

MMAPlaywright

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
I'd be very interested in seeing the specifics of this. Is that on a case-by-case basis? If I get 1,000 infections with the original or 1,000 infections with the Delta (in the same population) do I see a higher hospitalization and severe disease rate? Or is this a statement on breakthrough infection because of less vaccine effectiveness against the strain?
Here are the CDC slides:

M

member 3289

Saturday, the state of Florida reported more new COVID-19 cases to the Centers for Disease Control than any previous day in the coronavirus pandemic, 21,683.

That’s a jump over the previous record, 19,334, on Jan. 7, during the worst month of the pandemic, when daily case counts were routinely topping 10,000. It was the second peak of the pandemic and in the months following cases returned to average levels of between 2,000 and 8,000 daily cases.

The late half of July is so far looking to be the start of Florida’s third COVID-19 peak, as the case numbers reported Thursday (17,093), Friday (17,589) and Saturday mix in with Jan. 6-8 to comprise the top six individual case count days. The average over the last seven days is 15,818 cases.