General Corona virus updates

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Saturday, the state of Florida reported more new COVID-19 cases to the Centers for Disease Control than any previous day in the coronavirus pandemic, 21,683.

That’s a jump over the previous record, 19,334, on Jan. 7, during the worst month of the pandemic, when daily case counts were routinely topping 10,000. It was the second peak of the pandemic and in the months following cases returned to average levels of between 2,000 and 8,000 daily cases.

The late half of July is so far looking to be the start of Florida’s third COVID-19 peak, as the case numbers reported Thursday (17,093), Friday (17,589) and Saturday mix in with Jan. 6-8 to comprise the top six individual case count days. The average over the last seven days is 15,818 cases.

Last edited:

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
damn. although i think the effect will be good, this is too much. its too authoritarian :(
Businesses want to protect their product/profit. A labor shortage and continued outbreaks in their facilities is bad for business.
I only think healthcare and military serve unique enough roles to mandate vaccination. The latter well lol we sign away our rights on purpose.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
Businesses want to protect their product/profit. A labor shortage and continued outbreaks in their facilities is bad for business.
I only think healthcare and military serve unique enough roles to mandate vaccination. The latter well lol we sign away our rights on purpose.
yeh i hear ya. its always about the bottom line

huge companies like walmart have so many pros and so many cons as well, this being one of them

bc they put other shops out of business. so now millions of people who dont have other job opportunities in their area are basically forced to get the vaccine (unless government creates a law banning such a work requirement)

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
he/she thinks they're cleverly trolling with their new boot-licking persona.

but it's the same NPC.
lol ive never asked his pronouns, but they is a he lol

can you explain the npc term? im not familiar other than a hand of "oblivion npc" videos

non player computer or something like that. but how does it relate to politics?

ohhhh. is it basically a way of saying that people have become programmer sheep that just ba along as their master has programmed them to?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
lol ive never asked his pronouns, but they is a he lol

can you explain the npc term? im not familiar other than a hand of "oblivion npc" videos

non player computer or something like that. but how does it relate to politics?

ohhhh. is it basically a way of saying that people have become programmer sheep that just ba along as their master has programmed them to?
pretty much - NPC (non-player character) is just a sounding board for a narrative they don't really understand..."orange man bad"..."Biden is senile"...etc

some people do it because they don't really understand nuance and can only make sense of the world in a good guy/bad guy Team Us vs Team Them kind of way. Other people pretend to be like that because they think it's clever or makes them smarter than the people they're "fooling" with their divisive and "controversial" statements.

both groups are everything that's wrong with the internet, and I don't differentiate who is in what group...I just ignore it.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Walmart and Amazon (both who had constant outbreaks) both did extremely well last year profit wise.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
That's very obviously what it means.

I dont thinks that's a very obvious line of thinking.
The ability for a large company to absorb a risk and still make profit doesn't mean something isn't a risk or an impact to profit.

Making profit last doesn't mean that outbreaks that caused Amazon warehouses to shut down were suddenly not impactful to profit.

These businesses don't care about anything but their bottom lines.
I know. That's what I said. Which is why they are pushing for vaccines to lower risk to their operation.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I dont thinks that's a very obvious line of thinking.
The ability for a large company to absorb a risk and still make profit doesn't mean something isn't a risk or an impact to profit.

Making profit last doesn't mean that outbreaks that caused Amazon warehouses to shut down were suddenly not impactful to profit.
Did they actually shut down? They didn't here. They just made the non-sick employees work more hours. In what way would you argue that C19 has been harmful to their bottom lines?

I know. That's what I said. Which is why they are pushing for vaccines to lower risk to their operation.
I can say with a reasonable level on confidence that they're pushing for vaccines for the same reason they "support" BLM. They believe that messaging is good for their bottom lines.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
it's only corporate office and salaried/non-exempt.

if they tried it with the wage-slaves, I bet they'd be too understaffed to operate.

Hrrmmm, could just be good marketing? I wonder how many customers would not go to Disney due to this? Probably very few despite the bravado if I had to guess.

I would guess the corporate staff are more likely to already be vaccinated (across the US education is correlated with vaccination).
Could be that they have polled all of the above and determined the headlines of vaccinating are beneficial and this targeted group is already vaccinated.
I always assume the actuarial nature of these large companies and I'd be shocked to not find something wildly different (like something humanitarian or altruistic).

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Hrrmmm, could just be good marketing? I wonder how many customers would not go to Disney due to this? Probably very few despite the bravado if I had to guess.

I would guess the corporate staff are more likely to already be vaccinated (across the US education is correlated with vaccination).
Could be that they have polled all of the above and determined the headlines of vaccinating are beneficial and this targeted group is already vaccinated.
I always assume the actuarial nature of these large companies and I'd be shocked to not find something wildly different (like something humanitarian or altruistic).
i'd guess that Disney/WalMart don't want a bunch of non-vaccinated employees pulling unemployment checks, facing eviction, on the news and in front of their respective storefronts. The optics of quite literally treating your human chattel as cattle would be horrible for the shareholders. There's just no upside, especially when they can fire those people one at a time for any reason they want.

but nobody is going to cry for Sr Executive Asst Karen, and she isn't going to go stand in front of the store. She's just going to make an angry FB video that will get taken down.