General Corona virus updates

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Ambulances wait outside hospitals as COVID infections spread
COVID-19 cases have filled so many Florida hospital beds that ambulance services and fire departments are straining to respond to emergencies.

In St. Petersburg, some patients wait inside ambulances for up to an hour before hospitals can admit them — a process that usually takes about 15 minutes, Pinellas County Administrator Barry Burton said.

While ambulances sit outside emergency rooms, they are essentially off the grid.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
"I am an expert on how to get a stroke patient to button their shirt. Let me tell you about how I know all about coronavirus from my experience in a skilled nursing facility and no experience in the acute care hospital that these patients began. Also let me get waayyyyy out of my understanding and discuss the specifics of lab tests I've got no experience running or overseeing".

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
My aunt works in the hospital system here. It's real, although I believe the hospitals themselves aren't overflowing, but the COVID wards are filling up.
Maybe that's the difference. She works in a hospital.

Covid wards? Like they've set up facilities strictly for Covid?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
My aunt works in the hospital system here. It's real, although I believe the hospitals themselves aren't overflowing, but the COVID wards are filling up.
If I assume Florida hospital administrators are doing what Texas ones are...

COVID floors keep being expanded in size. So its true that COVID wards are filling up, but in any hot spot area that means COVID is filling up AND it's taking a bunch of other acute care beds with it. We are stopping elective surgeries all over the state now. Our hospital did it almost 2 weeks ago when the numbers started running up.

I expect like Texas with your variation in Miami, Orlando, Panhandle rural you will have pockets of running out of beds and have to look to transfer hours away. Distribution of patients is a major issue in this. You might have a state wide bed total that says you're good, but it's costing a metric fuckton to get those patients where the care actually is available.

Any idea what the worst hit area of Florida is right now?

IschKabibble

zero
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

Well yeah. As far as I know you've gotta quarantine the infected from other high-risk patients. Mind you the conversation was two and half weeks ago, so things could very well have shifted since then. One of my employees was also just telling me two folks she knows died over the last month from COVID.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Wings of hospital. Trying not to cross contaminate the non infected patients.
Take entire wings or floors and setup COVID protocols and treat COVID patients there.
Overflow facilities have been used and might come back, but in general we are just limiting other activities and converting those beds to COVID beds.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Did you ask your friend if her cousins girlfriends friend was a Qtard?
No.
I don't know her cousin.
Lots of dummies in Florida though, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Probably does meth too.

Welp - my conf call is over. You all enjoy your morning.

M

member 3289

Yeah but I mean, that's the case when no COVID.
I blame @Gamer Dude
Broward has more covid hospital patients than any other county in the country. Harris County is second and Miami-Dade County is third.

Population of each county, for reference:

Broward County 1.8 million people

Harris County: 4.7 million people

Miami-Dade County: 2.7 million people

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Anecdotal report from the field...

I have a nurse friend who has nurse friends in Florida. She claims the reports of their hospitals being overrun are completely false.

I already knew there was nothing going on around here (OH, KY, IN) - but she confirmed that as well.
FINALLY! it took 18 months, but 1 of the 10s of thousand of medical professionals has decided that the extra money on her paycheck isn't worth it, and is willing to speak The Truth (tm).

the days of Splinty @Splinty and his ilk holding my freedom hostage are numbered!