General Corona virus updates

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
But you watched the Queen's speech right?

Don't let me down here man
I friggen looooove swords and castles and ish. But I've always had an unhealthy disdain for royalty since I live in lala land where my heroes are usually the lowborn, bastards, and broken men. So I never tune into an royal ish since I know I'm gonna get triggered

Ohhhh you meant the old ladies corona thing today? I actually added that to my watch later when I got the pop up. It autoplayed at one point and I quickly Xed out

Shes cute, so I felt bad actually lol. Couodnt do it

Three lions on a shirt. Jewels remain still gleaming

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Nervous as fuck going getting ready for work. You just made my day a little brighter.
Pro tip: A good way to take your mind off the coronavirus at work is to think about all the men your wife is having sex while you're gone.

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
I knew there would be a "facts debate" about this eventually... I took an interesting clip of the article but it does go on to say that Fauci still has a decent relationship with Trump and Pence. Let's hope it stays that way. For my money Fauci is the smartest guy in the room about this situation and Trump et al need him to keep this going in the right direction.

Heated disagreement breaks out in Situation Room over hydroxychloroquine - CNNPolitics

"There was a heated disagreement in the Situation Room this weekend over the efficacy of the anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine -- but multiple sources say it was mostly one-sided, as President Donald Trump's top trade adviser Peter Navarro feuded with other officials over the drug's unproven effectiveness to treat coronavirus.

The debate is not a new one inside the coronavirus task force -- and medical experts have repeatedly explained to the President that there is a risk in enthusiastically touting hydroxychloroquine in case the drug doesn't ultimately work to combat the virus. But other aides and outside advisers have sided with Trump, including Navarro, who is still not a formal part of the task force but has wedged himself into the meetings.

While discussing the latest on hydroxychloroquine this weekend, an exasperated Navarro lashed out at Dr. Anthony Fauci, one of the advisers who has urged caution about the drug, a person familiar with the meeting told CNN.
Navarro had brought a stack of paperwork with him into the Situation Room on the drug, arguing it was proof that it could work to treat coronavirus, which Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, disagreed with because it was not data.
"What are you talking about?" Fauci asked -- a question that set Navarro off. He became indignant, and at one point, accused Fauci of opposing Trump's travel restrictions on China, which confused many in the room, given Fauci was one of the initial few to agree with Trump on the move, the source said."

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
I knew there would be a "facts debate" about this eventually... I took an interesting clip of the article but it does go on to say that Fauci still has a decent relationship with Trump and Pence. Let's hope it stays that way. For my money Fauci is the smartest guy in the room about this situation and Trump et al need him to keep this going in the right direction.

Heated disagreement breaks out in Situation Room over hydroxychloroquine - CNNPolitics

"There was a heated disagreement in the Situation Room this weekend over the efficacy of the anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine -- but multiple sources say it was mostly one-sided, as President Donald Trump's top trade adviser Peter Navarro feuded with other officials over the drug's unproven effectiveness to treat coronavirus.

The debate is not a new one inside the coronavirus task force -- and medical experts have repeatedly explained to the President that there is a risk in enthusiastically touting hydroxychloroquine in case the drug doesn't ultimately work to combat the virus. But other aides and outside advisers have sided with Trump, including Navarro, who is still not a formal part of the task force but has wedged himself into the meetings.

While discussing the latest on hydroxychloroquine this weekend, an exasperated Navarro lashed out at Dr. Anthony Fauci, one of the advisers who has urged caution about the drug, a person familiar with the meeting told CNN.
Navarro had brought a stack of paperwork with him into the Situation Room on the drug, arguing it was proof that it could work to treat coronavirus, which Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, disagreed with because it was not data.
"What are you talking about?" Fauci asked -- a question that set Navarro off. He became indignant, and at one point, accused Fauci of opposing Trump's travel restrictions on China, which confused many in the room, given Fauci was one of the initial few to agree with Trump on the move, the source said."
:confused:

"Without citing evidence, Trump said at Sunday's briefing that hydroxychloroquine is a "great" and "powerful" anti-malaria drug "and there are signs that it works on this, some very strong signs."
For people without heart problems, Trump recommended combining hydroxychloroquine with azithromycin, a common antibiotic. He said azithromycin "will kill certain things that you don't want living within your body."
Yet there is little reliable evidence that the drugs -- either alone or in combination -- are effective at treating the novel coronavirus.
Still, Trump said: "What do you have to lose? What do you have to lose?"

For doctors, nurses and first responders, Trump suggested the drugs could be taken as a preventative. "They say taking it before the fact is good, but what do you have to lose?"
Experts do not suggest taking hydroxychloroquine as a preventive for Covid-19 because there is no evidence yet to suggest it protects against contracting the virus.
"They say take it," said Trump, without citing any experts or sources. "I'm not looking at it one way or the other, but we want to get out of this. If it does work, it would be a shame if we didn't do it early. But we have some very good signs."
Trump also said the US Food and Drug Administration gave hydroxychloroquine "rapid approval," but in fact, the FDA has not approved it for the treatment of Covid-19."

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
:confused:

"Without citing evidence, Trump said at Sunday's briefing that hydroxychloroquine is a "great" and "powerful" anti-malaria drug "and there are signs that it works on this, some very strong signs."
For people without heart problems, Trump recommended combining hydroxychloroquine with azithromycin, a common antibiotic. He said azithromycin "will kill certain things that you don't want living within your body."
Yet there is little reliable evidence that the drugs -- either alone or in combination -- are effective at treating the novel coronavirus.
Still, Trump said: "What do you have to lose? What do you have to lose?"

For doctors, nurses and first responders, Trump suggested the drugs could be taken as a preventative. "They say taking it before the fact is good, but what do you have to lose?"
Experts do not suggest taking hydroxychloroquine as a preventive for Covid-19 because there is no evidence yet to suggest it protects against contracting the virus.
"They say take it," said Trump, without citing any experts or sources. "I'm not looking at it one way or the other, but we want to get out of this. If it does work, it would be a shame if we didn't do it early. But we have some very good signs."
Trump also said the US Food and Drug Administration gave hydroxychloroquine "rapid approval," but in fact, the FDA has not approved it for the treatment of Covid-19."
The problem is that Trump is half right. There's some absolute pillocks in high places out there that think we should stick to the normal routines when we're in the middle of a fucking once in a hundred year pandemic. Governments should absolutely be mass manufacturing and storing any drugs that show promise, because the cost will be a drop in the bucket even if it's ultimately futile. There's people who think advocating doing nothing without 100%, fool-proof evidence is smart, but it's utterly fucking retarded in this scenario.

The problem is for Trump to be idiotically just telling people to take it based on incredibly flimsy evidence. This should be obvious to everybody. It's one thing to store it and do tons of quick trials - not years-long trials like normal, but more than what's out there - and be ready to pump it out. It's another to pull this shit and just tell everyone to start taking it on their own right now.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
At least she'll be practicing social distancing better than I.

Back to work I go.
Again, just to put your mind at ease, that's probably the same number of people that are in your bedroom as we speak. There's probably a couple of blokes in gimp costumes like the guys in the top right are wearing, but other than that, I doubt there's much social distancing going on.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
The problem is that Trump is half right. There's some absolute pillocks in high places out there that think we should stick to the normal routines when we're in the middle of a fucking once in a hundred year pandemic. Governments should absolutely be mass manufacturing and storing any drugs that show promise, because the cost will be a drop in the bucket even if it's ultimately futile. There's people who think advocating doing nothing without 100%, fool-proof evidence is smart, but it's utterly fucking retarded in this scenario.

The problem is for Trump to be idiotically just telling people to take it based on incredibly flimsy evidence. This should be obvious to everybody. It's one thing to store it and do tons of quick trials - not years-long trials like normal, but more than what's out there - and be ready to pump it out. It's another to pull this shit and just tell everyone to start taking it on their own right now.
agreed

The 3 or 4 most promising potential treatments that we have on tap should all be nationally focused to get evidence for the exact same reasons you mention. It could happen SO much faster with that unified direction. Large multicenter studies, serum banking, etc.
We have 1000s in the inpatient setting that would be good candidates for many of these interventions and could be with basic informed consent.
We have 10,000's recovered just walking around with antibodies. Currently those people might have serum that is a treatment, but also those recovered patients represent likely immunity. How are we using them? Do any of them want jobs? or are we just sending them back home even though they represent a much lower risk individual.

In a lot of ways, this all comes back to testing. Since we are still not testing at appreciable amounts in much of the country, we can't all pitch in to share that data. We have the ability to share this data centrally right now in a way that could have never happened during SARS or MERS. This should be a full court press and we could have some really useful trends in weeks if you had a large enough sample size.