General Corona virus updates

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Sheepdog @Saloth Sar thoughts?

I think it has been justified despite my concerns. They've found a lot of cases in the towers and I have been swayed by the argument that they have an obligation to protect the vulnerable people in them and the rest of the community, as it spreads in them like it does on a cruise ship.

The residents are getting a compensation payment, having rent waived for 2 weeks and that's on top of the compensation payments everyone can access. So it really sucks for them and it raises concerns about the extent of emergency powers here, but this is a genuine emergency.

And to be fair, while the media is carrying the images of people saying they are being imprisoned, there's also residents who say they understand the situation and are willing to take one for the team.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
At my hospital one week ago there were 24 critical care patients. Now there are 71 with 89 positive or suspects in step down unit.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
We are taping up thick plastic at 2 ends of a hall and calling it a COVID Island. And sending them in. Bringing them down the "clean" halls to get there, of course.

We were told a few days ago that we only get a N95 mask if we are participating in a procedure with a covid patient. Otherwise, get your own.

I was getting a symptomatic person yesterday and went and requested a N95. I was told the new protocol. I politely told them to give me a mask or reassign the patient. I got the mask but I may lose my job.
^
We have 70 employees out with corona.

I've been receiving texts begging for help at the hospital.

Me:IMG_0768.GIF

Nope.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I think it has been justified despite my concerns. They've found a lot of cases in the towers and I have been swayed by the argument that they have an obligation to protect the vulnerable people in them and the rest of the community, as it spreads in them like it does on a cruise ship.

The residents are getting a compensation payment, having rent waived for 2 weeks and that's on top of the compensation payments everyone can access. So it really sucks for them and it raises concerns about the extent of emergency powers here, but this is a genuine emergency.

And to be fair, while the media is carrying the images of people saying they are being imprisoned, there's also residents who say they understand the situation and are willing to take one for the team.
How do they arrive at the compensation? Do they ask the recipients what they think is fair or just select an arbitrary number and it's a take it or leave proposition? Because one of those things doesn't seem like compensation.

M

member 3289

kneeblock @kneeblock

Last edited by a moderator:
M

member 3289

Understand that I'm from a country where many workers are not protected when I ask this - Are the people in these buildings protected from termination or other negative action by their employers for missing work?

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Understand that I'm from a country where many workers are not protected when I ask this - Are the people in these buildings protected from termination or other negative action by their employers for missing work?
Yes, they are legally protected from termination or adverse action.

We are only clinging to some labor regulations by a thread and they keep getting eroded. We've had conservative governments for 18 of the last 24 years, and the only reason they lost that 6 is because they went way too far at one time in trying to dismantle labor protections and the Prime Minister even lost his own seat. So they learned and now just slowly chip away at them. It's like in the UK (and also here) with the National Health Service, where if Tories go too far in attacking it, the voters revolt, so instead they just fuck it slowly.

And that reminds me, if you've never seen this clip, it's shit you would never see in US politics. This is the centre-left Prime Minister's response to the Opposition Leader about calling an election in 1992.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVuJLiuo5zc