General Corona virus updates

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I'm no longer calling them Covid Deaths.
I am now listing this data as people who died while having Covid:

Yesterday's figures:
Ohio - 0
Kentucky - 9
Indiana - 19

28 out of 23 million people.
That's .0000012%

My little tri-state area is doing way worse than America as a whole, who had 368 out of 328.2 million people yesterday die while showing Covid symptoms.

That's .0000011%

A difference of .0000001%

Pray for me folks.
Raw numbers don't really matter except in comparison to risk taking that we deem normal in daily life.
Also does your state report stats on Sundays? Many don't.

On Saturday one day before:
Ohio: 180,225 reported cases (2,234 new), 17,009 hospitalizations (99 new), 5,067 deaths (13 new). The 21-day average is 1,439 for new cases, 87 for hospitalizations and 16 for deaths.

Regardless the raw numbers just really fail all of us and it continues to be weird reporting. 100 people dying might a lot or a little.

What does matter beyond that is resource allocation and availability. And that will matter always since it will double deaths with overruns, so you have to stay away from that red line.

Looking it up:

About 68% of Ohio’s ICU beds were in use on Monday - the 303 by COVID-19 patients and 2,761 patients being treated for other reasons.

So I agree a lot of reserve. You haven't seen what we did this summer. But this weekend was the highest daily cases you've ever had.
Based on that snap shot it looks like you'll need (2761+303/65%= 4713-3064= 1649) 1649 severe cases to be a real issue.

Hopefully you keep doing okay but you're going the wrong direction.

1603145250695.png

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Raw numbers don't really matter except in comparison to risk taking that we deem normal in daily life.
Also does your state report stats on Sundays? Many don't.

On Saturday one day before:
Ohio: 180,225 reported cases (2,234 new), 17,009 hospitalizations (99 new), 5,067 deaths (13 new). The 21-day average is 1,439 for new cases, 87 for hospitalizations and 16 for deaths.

Regardless the raw numbers just really fail all of us and it continues to be weird reporting. 100 people dying might a lot or a little.

What does matter beyond that is resource allocation and availability. And that will matter always since it will double deaths with overruns, so you have to stay away from that red line.

Looking it up:

About 68% of Ohio’s ICU beds were in use on Monday - the 303 by COVID-19 patients and 2,761 patients being treated for other reasons.

So I agree a lot of reserve. You haven't seen what we did this summer. But this weekend was the highest daily cases you've ever had.
Based on that snap shot it looks like you'll need (2761+303/65%= 4713-3064= 1649) 1649 severe cases to be a real issue.

Hopefully you keep doing okay but you're going the wrong direction.

View attachment 17978
Cases are increasing - at least positive testing is.
Deaths are not.

From people I hear getting it (my sister's neighbor's uncle's best friend told her at Baskin Robbins) - the vast majority of people are being told "Yup you got it. Stay at home and wait it out for 2 weeks". No meds. No hospitilization. Nothing.

Fine. Quarantine. Cool.

Protect the people who need protecting.
Quarantine the people who are actively sick.
And for the love of God open this country back up.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Cases are increasing - at least positive testing is.
Deaths are not.

From people I hear getting it (my sister's neighbor's uncle's best friend told her at Baskin Robbins) - the vast majority of people are being told "Yup you got it. Stay at home and wait it out for 2 weeks". No meds. No hospitilization. Nothing.

Fine. Quarantine. Cool.

Baskin Robin's!? Really? They don't have higher quality ice cream by you?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
You do that by keeping case densities low enough to preserve health care systems and accidental surge transmission.

Your masks are likely modulating disease severity as well.

That was true in NYC in april as well.

How do you do that?
You don't know they're sick until 5 days later because your representatives have not made broad-based testing accessible.
What does it take for you to get a test right now?
For most people it's a three-figure sum and a doctor's visit.
Why?

I agree. Too bad we have wasted 6 months not developing the apparatuses that would allow us to do that in a unified direction. And now people are acting like it's over, when 90% of the country hasn't been infected.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
What does it take for you to get a test right now?
For most people it's a three-figure sum and a doctor's visit.
They had some areas where they were doing drive thru tests, but I haven't heard of those in a bit.

The last I heard it was like $80 at an Urgent Care. Results in 2 or 3 days.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
The last I heard it was like $80 at an Urgent Care. Results in 2 or 3 days.
Which as you can imagine, is essentially worthless.
For some people that price is too much.

But for most, what do you do with that information?

"Ok, I've got some COVID like symptoms. If I go get a test, I'm gonna...skip work for 2-3 days?"

So you don't. You gamble it to avoid it and hope for the best. Most people will not be COVID19. But so far, 10% of us will. Sooooo, those people run around hoping for the best until they get really sick and "declare" themselves as a sicker patient. Or they get better and no one knows, but they got others sick. Regardless, it's essentially like having no testing in terms of decision making process.

Rapid tests exist. They are not great. They could/should be better. Still, getting it right 80% of the time would put an 80% modifier on separating sick from well days or even a week early. That's the fix right now to the next step.

Until that happens, we will continue to half in half out, trudge towards mass death herd immunity as if that didn't have its own huge economic cost. All while also creating other economic cost.

They had some areas where they were doing drive thru tests, but I haven't heard of those in a bit.
Correct. Everyone pushed this during April lockdown, then let off. It was temporarily subsidized by the federal government. Many of those funds are gone now that we actually need them to get things open.

M

member 1013

Things will never open again. Soon we will all get the same basic income and only government workers will have jobs.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Which as you can imagine, is essentially worthless.
For some people that price is too much.

But for most, what do you do with that information?

"Ok, I've got some COVID like symptoms. If I go get a test, I'm gonna...skip work for 2-3 days?"

So you don't. You gamble it to avoid it and hope for the best. Most people will not be COVID19. But so far, 10% of us will. Sooooo, those people run around hoping for the best until they get really sick and "declare" themselves as a sicker patient. Or they get better and no one knows, but they got others sick. Regardless, it's essentially like having no testing in terms of decision making process.

Rapid tests exist. They are not great. They could/should be better. Still, getting it right 80% of the time would put an 80% modifier on separating sick from well days or even a week early. That's the fix right now to the next step.

Until that happens, we will continue to half in half out, trudge towards mass death herd immunity as if that didn't have its own huge economic cost. All while also creating other economic cost.

Correct. Everyone pushed this during April lockdown, then let off. It was temporarily subsidized by the federal government. Many of those funds are gone now that we actually need them to get things open.
Want to hear a good one, Doc? Canada hit 200k cases today and we don't fucking test anybody.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Soon only workers in the government will have jobs and the same basic income we all will get. Again things will never open.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
So you are probably much higher.
Well, America tests a lot and has 8 million cases. America has 10 times Canada's population so comparatively America has 4 times as many cases while doing probably 10 times as many tests. So yes, we're probably much, much higher. The one thing is we don't have population density the way major American cities do, so it's possible that creates a buffer of sorts.

Why is socialized medicine so bad?
That's a multifaceted question. In one way, there simply isn't enough money to have a good system. In the case of covid our government is leveraging the pandemic for every bit of political gain they can, so it's largely just ineptitude. Like most first world non-American countries our elected leaders and media point and say "Well, we're not like America!" as if that means we're doing well.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
And now people are acting like it's over, when 90% of the country hasn't been infected.
So I was right to begin with? Herd immunity for the win.

I still think a lot more people have had it and "gotten over it" without ever knowing they had it.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I still think a lot more people have had it and "gotten over it" without ever knowing they had it.

About 9% of people nationwide have been infected with the coronavirus, according to a new study led by Stanford School of Medicine investigators.

“This is the largest study to date to confirm that we are nowhere near herd immunity,” said Julie Parsonnet, MD, professor of medicine and of epidemiology and population health, referring to the point at which a large part of the population becomes immune to a specific disease. Scientists estimate that 60%-70% of the population must have antibodies to the coronavirus before COVID-19, the disease the virus causes, fades, said Parsonnet, a co-author of the study.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Actually if you test some places are requiring 10 day quarantine even if it comes back negative.

100% this leads to people not being honest with symptoms.

You can apply for unemployment to cover those 10 days, but that's 60% and who knows when they'd see it.

It's a mess.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Actually if you test some places are requiring 10 day quarantine even if it comes back negative.
And there's no data to support this and there's no consistency in application of this.
Since public health is a national problem, this should be federally directed. The data is out there. This should be like clock work.

oooorrrrrr interstate travel needs to be addressed as BeardOfKnowledge @Thor Georgeos pointed out early on

It's a mess.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I don't wanna argue about it but if it is as infectious as we are led to believe... far more than 10% have had it.

Studies are like assholes....
Okay, lets toss out epidimiologist from the largest powered study on the subject.

Fine...
Lets just go with the old "Oh yeah back in January I had a really bad cold and I NEVER get sick...I bet I had it!" crowd.

1603154791946.png

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Okay, lets toss out epidimiologist from the largest powered study on the subject.

Fine...
Lets just go with the old "Oh yeah back in January I had a really bad cold and I NEVER get sick...I bet I had it!" crowd.

View attachment 17988
I don't trust any studies from Cali.
It is the NWO launching pad.

We will have to agree to disagree on this.

I am not listening to any Lord Fauci types on this topic any longer.