General Corona virus updates

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 3289

NYC is closing all public schools because the positivity rate has gone below 3%.

Florida has everything open with no plans to close anything:

Screenshot_20201118-185830_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Thuglife13

✝👦🍕🍦🍩
Dec 15, 2018
How do you feel about non-smoking establishments?

If they can smell your smoke, they can possibly catch your corona.
Well I don't believe this is a hoax I just believe it's over-blown. I wear a mask when I have to because here in California it's pretty much mandatory everywhere you go...

I personally think smoking sucks but it's funny how it's okay to make fun of smokers but you can't fat-shame people now thanks to body positive bs...

Thuglife13

✝👦🍕🍦🍩
Dec 15, 2018
NYT: Study Finds That Masks Do Not Protect Wearers

A new study from Danish researchers found that mask-wearers were not protected from becoming infected by the novel coronavirus more than their mask-less counterparts, contradicting the mainstream consensus, including that of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

“Researchers in Denmark reported on Wednesday that surgical masks did not protect the wearers against infection with the coronavirus in a large randomized clinical trial,” The New York Times reported Wednesday.

The Times noted that the study, published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, “did not contradict growing evidence that masks can prevent transmission of the virus from wearer to others,” though it’s “conclusion is at odds with the view that masks also protect the wearers — a position endorsed just last week by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.”

View: https://twitter.com/JamesTodaroMD/status/1329084994820608002

Last edited:

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015

A new study from Danish researchers found that mask-wearers were not protected from becoming infected by the novel coronavirus more than their mask-less counterparts, contradicting the mainstream consensus, including that of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

“Researchers in Denmark reported on Wednesday that surgical masks did not protect the wearers against infection with the coronavirus in a large randomized clinical trial,” The New York Times reported Wednesday.

The Times noted that the study, published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, “did not contradict growing evidence that masks can prevent transmission of the virus from wearer to others,” though it’s “conclusion is at odds with the view that masks also protect the wearers — a position endorsed just last week by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.”

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016

View: https://twitter.com/JamesTodaroMD/status/1329084994820608002
I do not understand? This study is about surgical masks, which I thought we have known for months don't protect you, but protect others from your droplets. Only the n95/kn95/n99 etc protect you, right? Isn't that even what the funny mask poster meme pretty much says too?

The study says the surgical masks didn't help a lot in a community with uncommon general mask use. So that just pretty much backs up what we already knew about surgical masks?

I do not get why this is controversial now or why the cdc would say something else now.

Thuglife13

✝👦🍕🍦🍩
Dec 15, 2018
I do not understand? This study is about surgical masks, which I thought we have known for months don't protect you, but protect others from your droplets. Only the n95/kn95/n99 etc protect you, right? Isn't that even what the funny mask poster meme pretty much says too?

The study says the surgical masks didn't help a lot in a community with uncommon general mask use. So that just pretty much backs up what we already knew about surgical masks?

I do not get why this is controversial now or why the cdc would say something else now.
Well from that article it says...

it’s “conclusion is at odds with the view that masks also protect the wearers — a position endorsed just last week by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.”

So there's so much confusion going on.

It was so controversial that no one was willing to go out on a limb and publish the results until now...

View: https://twitter.com/AlexBerenson/status/1317875526997102594

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
Well from that article it says...

it’s “conclusion is at odds with the view that masks also protect the wearers — a position endorsed just last week by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.”

So there's so much confusion going on.

It was so controversial that no one was willing to go out on a limb and publish the results until now...

View: https://twitter.com/AlexBerenson/status/1317875526997102594
Yeah I don't get it. It's not news.

So now that they've decided everyone should wear masks they are lying and saying the regular masks protect you in order to get people to wear them? The same way they lied when they didn't want people to wear them?

There was a point at which the cdc I think was being honest and saying people should wear masks to protect others but save the n95 masks for healthcare workers since they actually protect you, or something like that.

I haven't read their latest, but this suggests the cdc went back to lying to manipulate people? Why?

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015

So now that they've decided everyone should wear masks they are lying and saying the regular masks protect you in order to get people to wear them? The same way they lied when they didn't want people to wear them?

There was a point at which the cdc I think was being honest and saying people should wear masks to protect others but save the n95 masks for healthcare workers since they actually protect you, or something like that.

I haven't read their latest, but this suggests the cdc went back to lying to manipulate people? Why?
did you read the actual study or just the NYT article?
actual study is in post #24,781 of this thread

Thuglife13

✝👦🍕🍦🍩
Dec 15, 2018

Yep it's such a mindfuck and I think they should've always stuck to the second thing you said...

"There was a point at which the cdc I think was being honest and saying people should wear masks to protect others but save the n95 masks for healthcare workers since they actually protect you, or something like that."

did you read the actual study or just the NYT article?
actual study is in post #24,781 of this thread
Sorry bruddah didn't know that was the same study. Didn't mean to steal your thunder...

:cheers:

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
What the article is saying without saying it is....

Get ready for another PPE shortage as the hospitalizations are surging.

Several locations I've been to in the last week have been out of caps/bouffants and have went back to rationing masks.

So fun times are coming!

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
AstraZeneca has a vaccine for older folks.

JNJ expects their vaccine to be ready by February.

That makes 4 with BioNTech/Pfizer and Moderna.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Kentucky is losing their minds.

Schools closed the rest of the year.
No dine-in restaurants.
Bars closed.
Gyms limited to 33.3333% capacity.
Indoor gatherings limited to 8 people, so if you have a family of 10 you have to kick 2 people out.

Funerals/Weddings limited to 25.

Meanwhile, also in Kentucky...

images.jpeg

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

No dine-in restaurants.
Bars closed.
Indoor gatherings limited to 8 people, so if you have a family of 10 you have to kick 2 people out.

View attachment 20904
Rural Arkansas is like that picture, there are also areas that are having to close medical facilities because everyone there is sick. It's not good.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015

No dine-in restaurants.
Bars closed.

View attachment 20904

Nothing to worry about. This guy has it under control.

02521f68b460c04da0d60268db3f91a4c9-shutterstock-editorial-10970891c.rsquare.w700.jpg

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Probably because they know people are selfish. If folks know it does little to protect them from anything, and is only meant to protect others, they are assuming most won't bother with it.

So they lie, which people see right through with all the contradictory statements and goalpost moving - which results in people just throwing up the middle finger and saying "F your masks, bro!"

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016

CDC website still recommends masks to protect others. I'm not sure where they endorsed anything otherwise.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016

Well another study did imply that masks can help protect you.

A systematic review of observational studies reported that mask use reduced risk for SARS, Middle East respiratory syndrome, and COVID-19 by 66% overall, 70% in health care workers, and 44% in the community (12). However, surgical and cloth masks were grouped in preventive studies, and none of the 3 included non–health care studies related directly to COVID-19

So this study was just non-health people and the results....

A total of 3030 participants were randomly assigned to the recommendation to wear masks, and 2994 were assigned to control; 4862 completed the study. Infection with SARS-CoV-2 occurred in 42 participants recommended masks (1.8%) and 53 control participants.

So 42 of the 3030 that were assigned to wear masks outside either tested positive or had antibodies by the end of the study. Take away the participants who had antibodies at the beginning, or didn't send their sample in at the beginning, and the number is 33.

However, they break numbers down even more later on in the article.....

Three post hoc (not preplanned) analyses were done. In the first, which included only participants reporting wearing face masks “exactly as instructed,” infection (the primary outcome) occurred in 22 participants (2.0%) in the face mask group and 53 (2.1%) in the control group

47% percent of the mask wearers admitted to not doing it all the time.

But they do break the numbers down really well and seem fair in the article.

Last edited:

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
And one other thing....

The first randomized group (non-masks) was followed while the Danish society was under lockdown. Reopening occurred (18 May 2020) during follow-up of the second group (masked) of participants, but it was not reflected in the outcome because infection rates were similar between groups....

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Congratulations on 2,000 deaths in a day for the first time since early May, America. And to think, we've only had 907 in total.

Another milestone to be extremely proud of.