General COVID Darwin Awards

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
The US had its own virus hunter and a lab doing the same kind of gain of function research with bat corona viruses.

Funded by Good ole Bill Gates.

Just saying.
did the pandemic originate in North Carolina?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
He had no input or voice as head of NIH? I'm pretty sure it's a gap he should have recognized as part of his job.
The ability to recognize it doesn't mean anything. You can't hang every single healthcare responsibility and confirmation of supply line ordering on one person, unless said person directly undid and effective system. He did not do that. The president did (I'm abridging the obviously complicated process of finding between the executive HHS parties and confessional budget release). And again it's a job that falls under the executive every other year.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
The ability to recognize it doesn't mean anything. You can't hang every single healthcare responsibility and confirmation of supply line ordering on one person, unless said person directly undid and effective system. He did not do that. The president did. And again it's a job that falls under the executive every other year.
can and will.

behold.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
can and will.

behold.

Ok. But it seems like you guys are interested in a scapegoat now rather than reality.

The executive and HHS have managed this and still do. Funding was cut a decade ago. The Obama administration clearly laid out this needed to be replenished and that the funding wasn't there. Choices were made including hanging on to existing N95s and replenishing other stocks.
Trump then failed to do anything in his first two years during any of the Republican spending.
Then the pandemic happened.
Old N95s we're dry rotting and falling off of nurses faces in the ICU.
Given that the previous executive highlighted the want for funding for this item it doesn't seem their fault beyond figuring out what to use the remaining funding on.. Fauci May or may not have had a decision making in that process and recommending continued funding of things like N95. Regardless from the Obama administration to the Trump administration such recommendation fell on deaf ears. Trump then went on to explain that he inherited an empty stockpile and it wasn't his fault. 2 years after being in power and about 3 years after the Obama administration clearly laid out the executive request for more funding to continue rotating supplies at the national stockpile for things that expire like N95s.

The failure of the national stockpile started with congressional budget moves around 2009-2010. They then rapidly increased during the first two years of the Trump administration when both the executive and the Congress were in lockstep on funding priorities.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
"But the priorities of each administration can be gleaned from the work at the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA), a division overseeing stockpile research at HHS. A review by CBS News of funding allocations showed similar priorities between the end of the Obama administration and into the the first two years of the Trump administration. Stockpile funding was largely devoted to ensuring the ability to respond to threats that included anthrax, smallpox and radiological or nuclear attacks. HHS estimated the necessary funding to be $325 million per year."

HHS (you may recognize them as the administrative of the actual operating organizations, such as NIH) is responsible. BARDA is like the CDC of the NIH.

seems more likely that Fauci was the one saying masks don't work because Fauci (as evidenced by the interview) was one of the people saying 'spend more money on gain of function research, and less on the mask stockpile'.

that's conjecture based on circumstantial public evidence, but it does seem to fit with the overall cut of his jib.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Ok. But it seems like you guys are interested in a scapegoat now rather than reality.

The executive and HHS have managed this and still do. Funding was cut a decade ago. The Obama administration clearly laid out this needed to be replenished and that the funding wasn't there. Choices were made including hanging on to existing N95s and replenishing other stocks.
Trump then failed to do anything in his first two years during any of the Republican spending.
Given that the previous executive highlighted the want for funding for this item it doesn't seem their fault beyond figuring out what to use the remaining funding on.. Fauci May or may not have had a decision making in that process and recommending continued funding of things like N95. Regardless from the Obama administration to the Trump administration such recommendation fell on deaf ears. Trump then went on to explain that he inherited an empty stockpile and it wasn't his fault. 2 years after being in power and about 3 years after the Obama administration clearly laid out the executive request for more funding to continue rotating supplies at the national stockpile for things that expire like N95s.

The failure of the national stockpile started with congressional budget moves around 2009-2010. They then rapidly increased during the first two years of the Trump administration when both the executive and the Congress were in lockstep on funding priorities.
hmmm....maybe should have held off on this until I gave you the "behold".

you're sassy in the AM

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
hmmm....maybe should have held off on this until I gave you the "behold".

you're sassy in the AM
Lol
I m as much posting for posterity as I am to remind myself the order of which these things happen in a long history of blame game.

Anyways continuing on here's the actual director of the national stockpile in 2019 on how the decision with limited funding was made...

Burel said in March that federal officials were left with "horrible decisions" about how to triage spending after H1N1.

"We had to trade off those funds that we had, and we chose to invest in those lifesaving drugs that would not be available from any other source, in the quantity needed, and in time," he said. "I definitely want to see my health care workers protected; that's very important. But if I'm thinking, 'Do I buy this many masks to protect this many workers, or do I buy this many medicines to keep people safe that we can't get elsewhere?' There's no easy answer here."

So it looks like not only worth our budget cuts around 2009-2010, but also H1N1 resulted in a heavy usage of N95s.
What to spend money on was been driven by the fact that some supplies would only be available via the federal government, so those were prioritized to make sure there was some source of said meds.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Lol
I m as much posting for posterity as I am to remind myself the order of which these things happen in a long history of blame game.

Anyways continuing on here's the actual director of the national stockpile in 2019 on how the decision with limited funding was made...

So it looks like not only worth our budget cuts around 2009-2010, but also H1N1 resulted in a heavy usage of N95s.
What to spend money on was been driven by the fact that some supplies would only be available via the federal government, so those were prioritized to make sure there was some source of said meds.
:)

i shouldn't have laid it all on Fauci like I did, but there's no doubt in my mind that he was on TV with the "masks make you sicker" because he was one of (if not the) loudest voices against spending money on the national stockpile. I can't imagine any health professional volunteering to go on record with "N95 masks make you sicker, don't wear them" unless all of their peers were shoving them off that plank. Maybe it's just what he had to do to keep his place at Trump's right hand...not that it makes Fauci look any better.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019

i shouldn't have laid it all on Fauci like I did, but there's no doubt in my mind that he was on TV with the "masks make you sicker" because he was one of (if not the) loudest voices against spending money on the national stockpile. I can't imagine any health professional volunteering to go on record with "N95 masks make you sicker, don't wear them" unless all of their peers were shoving them off that plank. Maybe it's just what he had to do to keep his place at Trump's right hand...not that it makes Fauci look any better.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Splinty @Splinty there's an implied 'thanks for keeping me honest' in my prior post , but I can't state it explicitly or people will use it as evidence that I've been wrong.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

With 350 million people and all of a hundred cases everybody masking was not a very good use of resources given the unlikelihood of exposure.

I would have recommended against everyone running out panicking and buying sparkuri @sparkuri N99 N95s as well.

Did he actually said they would make you sick?

Also did you know that the post office had a plan to deliver surgical mask to every single household But the Trump administration killed it, I believe the explanation was worrying about panic. This was April of 2020 when we were clearly passed the contact tracing stage and was labeled a pandemic. On masking that is probably where I think we messed up the most. Simple cheap surgical masks after the contact tracing stage.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Splinty @Splinty there's an implied 'thanks for keeping me honest' in my prior post , but I can't state it explicitly or people will use it as evidence that I've been wrong.
Please don't ever post something like this again. You've never been wrong in this post is scary close to opening that door of being a normal fallible human being. Shut it remind yourself...

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Please don't ever post something like this again. You've never been wrong in this post is scary close to opening that door of being a normal fallible human being. Shut it remind yourself...

it's ceremonial deference to the owner...nothing more.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021

Unfortunately, this does not fit on a Facebook meme.

??