General Gabby Petito Case

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
most of the U.S is desolate, remote land the perfect place to murder someone and hide the body would be on one of these road trips freaking utah has miles of desert. even in CA if you travel like 40 miles out side of a metropolis you are in the middle of butt fuck nowhere.
You want to murder someone and get away with it? Take them to the Death Zone in Yellowstone.

If you haven't heard of it, it's one of the greatest legal loopholes ever. I'll try to lay it out in a way that makes sense. :smile:

Basically:

* Yellowstone National Park - in its entirety - falls under the jurisdiction of the District of Wyoming. If you commit a crime in Yellowstone, you'll normally be tried in Cheyenne.

* But the park's boundaries extend (slightly) into Idaho and Montana. The Idaho section is about fifty square miles. That fifty square miles is the Zone of Death.

* The federal government has exclusive jurisdiction over all national parks, so (apparently) crimes committed in a national park must be prosecuted under federal laws, not state laws.

* The Constitution (which overrides ALL other law or lawmakers, ALWAYS - BeardOfKnowledge @JakePaulsBeard) decrees that juries for federal criminal cases (like murder in a national park) must be made up of citizens from the state and the district where the crime was committed.

* That's impossible in the Zone of Death. Since it's in Idaho and Yellowstone is administered by Wyoming, neither Idaho nor Wyoming has legal standing to host a trial for a crime committed in the Idaho section of Yellowstone.

* Furthermore, the Constitutional requirement for a jury to be comprised of residents who are from both the state and the district that the crime occurred in, runs into a big problem here. According to the US Census, there is nobody living in the Idaho district inside Yellowstone National Park. Can't form a jury if you don't have 12 locals.

* Therefore, a jury cannot be seated for a federal trial for a crime that took place inside the Zone of Death.

* The Constitution mandates the right to a jury trial for any federal charge. If a jury of their peers cannot be assembled, then a defendant cannot be punished. Not even the President can override the Constitution, the only thing that can overrule it is a full-fledged Amendment.

This loophole has been known about for years, but it's never been put to the test with a serious crime. But, it's out there. Do what you will with that knowledge. :smile:

??

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Supposed to be good fishing there.
Looks amazing

It got me thinking real estate and I have spent an hour looking at property in WY

Cheaper than Montana and I can get some serious acreage and big ass home with a Giant Shop

Liking MT and WY right now for the impending move away from Tyranny

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Looks amazing

It got me thinking real estate and I have spent an hour looking at property in WY

Cheaper than Montana and I can get some serious acreage and big ass home with a Giant Shop

Liking MT and WY right now for the impending move away from Tyranny
From what I understand WY has better property rights.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
You want to murder someone and get away with it? Take them to the Death Zone in Yellowstone.

If you haven't heard of it, it's one of the greatest legal loopholes ever. I'll try to lay it out in a way that makes sense. :smile:

Basically:

* Yellowstone National Park - in its entirety - falls under the jurisdiction of the District of Wyoming. If you commit a crime in Yellowstone, you'll normally be tried in Cheyenne.

* But the park's boundaries extend (slightly) into Idaho and Montana. The Idaho section is about fifty square miles. That fifty square miles is the Zone of Death.

* The federal government has exclusive jurisdiction over all national parks, so (apparently) crimes committed in a national park must be prosecuted under federal laws, not state laws.

* The Constitution (which overrides ALL other law or lawmakers, ALWAYS - BeardOfKnowledge @JakePaulsBeard) decrees that juries for federal criminal cases (like murder in a national park) must be made up of citizens from the state and the district where the crime was committed.

* That's impossible in the Zone of Death. Since it's in Idaho and Yellowstone is administered by Wyoming, neither Idaho nor Wyoming has legal standing to host a trial for a crime committed in the Idaho section of Yellowstone.

* Furthermore, the Constitutional requirement for a jury to be comprised of residents who are from both the state and the district that the crime occurred in, runs into a big problem here. According to the US Census, there is nobody living in the Idaho district inside Yellowstone National Park. Can't form a jury if you don't have 12 locals.

* Therefore, a jury cannot be seated for a federal trial for a crime that took place inside the Zone of Death.

* The Constitution mandates the right to a jury trial for any federal charge. If a jury of their peers cannot be assembled, then a defendant cannot be punished. Not even the President can override the Constitution, the only thing that can overrule it is a full-fledged Amendment.

This loophole has been known about for years, but it's never been put to the test with a serious crime. But, it's out there. Do what you will with that knowledge. :smile:

??
You're welcome.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015

Basically:

??
yosemite doesnt have this loophole but I think people can get away with murder there just based on how enormous that park is . it is the size of several cities put together. you have to drive in car from one part of the park to another. I think I have seen maybe one to five percent of the entire park in 20 years of going there.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

Basically:

??
it's not a loophole until it's upheld.

it's a legal theory that a law professor postulated years ago, but they'd just draw the jury from WY and let you lose on appeal.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
it's not a loophole until it's upheld.

it's a legal theory that a law professor postulated years ago, but they'd just draw the jury from WY and let you lose on appeal.
That's true....... maybe.

Interesting to see it put to the test, though. If there's no statute clearing it up legally, then I guess a lot would depend on the quality of your representation. You'd also likely be open to charges of premeditation for taking them there in the first place - I'm sure they could make something out of that.

??

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I just went out to dinner

got back and there were 240 posts on the OG thread since I last read it

Lotta good theories, UFO, Bigfoot, I-70 killer

Last edited: