Society Is it End Time?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I just don't see Wal Mart allowing Amazon to continue to steal market share at the current pace. I expect Wal Mart to put some of that cash to work, and we'll see the improvements to their website, online offerings, door-to-door consumer deliveries, etc.
I agree the potential is there and the battle is obvious as Amazon goes brick and mortar and walmart goes online.

I think they need to get some of those tech brains Amazon has to start developing other revenue streams instead of just buying out existing companies and then trying to slim the overhead. Their other areas look like this crap:

Walmart’s Vudu Warns Customers to Not Unlink UltraViolet Accounts Ahead of Shutdown

It's all fractured and not that smart at getting me on board.
Amazon is subsidizing new markets (ebooks, they were really the first big ones and remain the standard) and existing ones (tablets) and then using all that to drive one cohesive model of data gathering and selling and marketing. Amazon is competently challenging walmart, google, and apple all at once.

When you last went to walmart, did you hear about Vudu?
Have you ever heard of Vudu?

Walmart is still too reactionary, though their purchase of jet.com to get their online presence up to date is good. But they just don't feel that innovative, just ruthlessly efficient.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I agree the potential is there and the battle is obvious as Amazon goes brick and mortar and walmart goes online.

I think they need to get some of those tech brains Amazon has to start developing other revenue streams instead of just buying out existing companies and then trying to slim the overhead. Their other areas look like this crap:

Walmart’s Vudu Warns Customers to Not Unlink UltraViolet Accounts Ahead of Shutdown

Amazon is subsidizing new markets (ebooks, they were really the first big ones and remain the standard) and existing ones (tablets) and then using all that to drive one cohesive model of data gathering and selling and marketing. Amazon is competently challenging walmart, google, and apple all at once.

Walmart is still too reactionary, though their purchase of jet.com to get their online presence up to date is good. But they just don't feel that innovative, just ruthlessly efficient.
Yeah Wal Mart definitely wasn't proactive enough with their approach to online retail, and like you stated, still isn't very good at it. But I deal with execs from both companies, plus UPS and FedEx, who are primary shippers for both & everyone in the industry feels like Wal Mart is about to make a push in online retail and other markets. We shall see. Personally, I hope Amazon continues building manual & automated sort centers + fulfillment centers all across the globe, because they're one of my company's largest customers.

M

member 3289

You look at something like Prime Shipping where you can get most items delivered to your door within two days.

Why didn't Walmart ever think of that? Can't work it out logistically? They have the nationwide distribution.

Maybe they have that now and I just don't know about it. But if they do then it's reactionary like Splinty @Splinty said. They need to be more proactive and less reactive or Amazon will continue to blow them out of the water when it comes to e-commerce.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
You look at something like Prime Shipping where you can get most items delivered to your door within two days.
Walmart has something like it. 2 day shipping on orders over 35 bucks, but some items dont qualify. Also sometimes free to store, which is nice since I can have it held and pick it up after work without worrying about delivery stuff. But not always. Sometimes there today, sometimes not.

Problem is that when you go on the site, all the 2 day ship and not 2 day ship is mixed with no prioritizing. Then you can filter on the left, but only one of those at a time instead of several. Why is that a radio button and not a check box!??!
I can look at free pick OR free pick up with discount, but not both to compare?? Or add the free pick up today to see if I can save money now vs waiting for it to arrive?

Walmarts prices are much better and I've been deal shopping against Amazon. If you don't use the prime video stuff, Amazon shipping + higher prices are no longer that good. Increasingly prime doesn't ship in 2 days. So now you are getting the same service as Walmart but they hide it. I'd love for more competition but go to walmart and its hard to find a good deal that you can get quickly. Instead its apples to oranges. It's all opaque.

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
Walmart has something like it. 2 day shipping on orders over 35 bucks, but some items dont qualify. Also sometimes free to store, which is nice since I can have it held and pick it up after work without worrying about delivery stuff. But not always. Sometimes there today, sometimes not.

Problem is that when you go on the site, all the 2 day ship and not 2 day ship is mixed with no prioritizing. Then you can filter on the left, but only one of those at a time instead of several. Why is that a radio button and not a check box!??!
I can look at free pick OR free pick up with discount, but not both to compare?? Or add the free pick up today to see if I can save money now vs waiting for it to arrive?

Walmarts prices are much better and I've been deal shopping against Amazon. If you don't use the prime video stuff, Amazon shipping + higher prices are no longer that good. Increasingly prime doesn't ship in 2 days. So now you are getting the same service as Walmart but they hide it. I'd love for more competition but go to walmart and its hard to find a good deal that you can get quickly. Instead its apples to oranges. It's all opaque.
Hire a yard man.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015

Again, Amazon's biggest growth area is AWS, not retail. If they get the JEDI contract, that revenue will get an extra billion annually. And the US DoD is one of several departments in several countries that will eventually contract with them. There are some spanners in the works, but it's hard to imagine them losing that bid.

yuki2054

graded martial artist
Nov 8, 2016
Oh your friend is super smart. Hey guess what I'm not texting you from a jail cell retardo. I'm watching a 65 inch TV w a sig c3 .45 on my hip and texting 3 girls. So fuck off.
Don't mind N @Never_Rolled , he's a TaeKwonDo brown belt, who can't even do four press ups!

Edit
Sorry I misread your post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
NoT only could I walk your dog in a fight, but also I'm fairly sure that you are a virgin who still lives at home with your parents? Am I wrong?!
You quoted yourself dummy. Hopefully not a virgin for long. Do you want me to have your ex wife call you?

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Stop borowing your insults from CMNH!
It is pretty lame isn't it...now we got copycat Klingon trolls trying to make the same lame jokes every other thread

Have a good day John

Jdog93

.....?
Jun 2, 2016
Amazon is a monster. It's going to be interesting to watch play out whenever Wal Mart decides they've had enough. Wal Mart dwarfs Amazon in terms of cash reserves and profitability. My guess is they decide to crash Amazon's party soon.
Damn Wild @Wild you get compensated well for saving your local Walmart?

Lifetime discount or something.

What's your secret dude?