Jones looked like shit tonight

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
That was exponentially closer than I expected... I had it 3-2 Jones (Santos rds 1-2, Jones 3-5), but you can never leave it in the judges hands. Even though I felt like Jones won, he got lucky that it didn't get called the other way
I gave Jones round 2 and Santos round 5, so same score but different rounds. But I'd need to watch round 5 again as concentration wasn't the best.

Does sound like it could've even been scored 4-1 Jones, and at best 3-2 Santos. So Jones probably won the fight.

But a pretty unimpressive performance considering the injury.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
After the first round, his corner said something to the effect of he can't low kick you if you move forward. So JPJ did that, Thiago tried to low kick and injured himself. I'm not claiming it was planned but he implemented the advice he was given and it wasn't based on bullshit.
This is the 2nd biggest stretch I've ever seen, ahead of Weidman's claim his instinctive check on Anderson was deliberately designed to hurt him, and just behind the mark on your mother's thigh.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
After the first round, his corner said something to the effect of he can't low kick you if you move forward. So JPJ did that, Thiago tried to low kick and injured himself. I'm not claiming it was planned but he implemented the advice he was given and it wasn't based on bullshit.
It's a long stretch to suggest that Jones moving forward was what caused the injury.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
I think Santos definitely won rounds 1 and 5. Jones definitely won rounds 3 and 4. Round 2 was close, but I thought Santos won it.

Too close to be called a robbery, but I thought Santos won.

It's a long stretch to suggest that Jones moving forward was what caused the injury.
He was moving forward on the advice his corner gave him to negate the low calf kicks. Perhaps he and his corner recognized something fundamental in how that "should" limit his opponent's effective use of that move.
You won't hear me give JJ much more praise than that regarding that fight and if it was luck or not isn't for me to say as their level of striking is a language I don't speak but JJ implemented a specific strategy on specific advice from his corner and it resulted in tThiago getting injured during the fight.
If you choose to put it down to luck then go ahead.

Shorinji

Intergalactic Destroyer of Souls
Oct 25, 2015
Jones lost 1, 2 and 5 to a dude on one leg, despite an 8.5 inch reach advantage and Carte Blance to cheat. Looked like garbage against Smith too.

I don't think he's gonna hold that title much longer.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
He was moving forward on the advice his corner gave him to negate the low calf kicks. Perhaps he and his corner recognized something fundamental in how that "should" limit his opponent's effective use of that move.
You won't hear me give JJ much more praise than that regarding that fight and if it was luck or not isn't for me to say as their level of striking is a language I don't speak but JJ implemented a specific strategy on specific advice from his corner and it resulted in tThiago getting injured during the fight.
If you choose to put it down to luck then go ahead.
If he had adequately closed distance Thiago wouldn't have been able to throw the kick that blew his knee.

If he had adequately closed distance Thiago wouldn't have been able to throw the kick that blew his knee.
You might be right, I don't have the replay of the sequence but I thought that one was thrown differently (less distance or Thiago was off balance). If it not then fair enough and you'd be right about it being lucky for JJ.

Jones lost 1, 2 and 5 to a dude on one leg, despite an 8.5 inch reach advantage and Carte Blance to cheat. Looked like garbage against Smith too.

I don't think he's gonna hold that title much longer.
I disagree with nothing you've written but who do you see beating him?

M

member 1013

I had it a draw in a Shit fight.

Jones has terrible hands, he can only use them to ward off opponents. His kicks mostly serve the same purpose. His striking is best when mixed with wrestling. He is far from an elite kick boxer.

Shorinji

Intergalactic Destroyer of Souls
Oct 25, 2015
Oh Man. I've no immediate suggestion on that, Friend. I know the division's pretty thin right now, but Jones is looking awfully fucking beatable lately.

I think an immediate Santos rematch might be very interesting. Seems to me Johnny Walker has potential too, not that he's ready yet IMO.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Santos
Walker
Gus with healthy groin...retired though
Jan has a shot

USADA has no shot at this though...he has their number

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
that bruise on his thigh was pretty nasty...sometimes those take forever to heal and leave permanent damage

I have one on my shin that blows up big from small impacts...a defense mechanism or something

Kinda thinking how randy and barnett have dents and permanent damage from Rizzo leg kicks

Chicken legs finally took a beating

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
I think Santos definitely won rounds 1 and 5. Jones definitely won rounds 3 and 4. Round 2 was close, but I thought Santos won it.

Too close to be called a robbery, but I thought Santos won.
I saw it almost the same except for Rd. 2. Not much happened but Jones did a little more IMHO. I had it 3-2 Jones. 1 and 5 no dispute. I wanted Santos to win but IMHO Jones is the best there ever was. The problem is he isn't consistent. Sometimes he's brutal and other times like with Santos he does just enough to win on points. Smart for him but not fan friendly to watch. When Santos is healthy I would like to see that run back. I suspect Jones will actually end up looking better as that tends to be his pattern.

aghof

an person
Apr 15, 2015
I’ve thought he’s been noticeably slowing down ever since the lay-off before OSP fight.

for some time now he hasn’t shown anything close to the explosiveness he had on the way to the title when he was ragdolling guys like Bonnar and Vera and Bader like they were children

BenAskrensStrikingcoach

Formerly formulating formally
Jan 30, 2015
I’ve thought he’s been noticeably slowing down ever since the lay-off before OSP fight.

for some time now he hasn’t shown anything close to the explosiveness he had on the way to the title when he was ragdolling guys like Bonnar and Vera and Bader like they were children
While you are kind of right here, he nearly jumped out of the octagon with a flying knee in the 3rd I think, explosiveness is still there.

He has been extra cautious in his last few as well.

He is lucky here though, if Santos doesn't fuck his knee up we'd probably have a new champion. Most of Jones best moments in the fight were as a result of Santos's leg giving out.

Even still could argue 3-2 Santos, was a close fight.

M

member 3289

I had it a draw in a Shit fight.

Jones has terrible hands, he can only use them to ward off opponents. His kicks mostly serve the same purpose. His striking is best when mixed with wrestling. He is far from an elite kick boxer.
K

TheFifthScallop

Who am I kidding? I’m a whore.
Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
Thigo dominated round 5 and got all the significant strikes and easily should have won that round. However his leg kept buckling and he was struggling to stand that whole round and it constantly looked like his leg was going to permenantly give or he was about to be swamped on and and destroyed. So the judges just saw he was lucky to make it out of the round and gave jones the round based on damage from round 1.
They don't score the fight as a whole. They score it by the round, so why the fuck would you give someone a round based off damage from the first? That logic makes no sense. Furthermore, what damage did Jones do in round 1? He lost the first round.