General Lets talk about the Kavanaugh allegations and confirmation

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Kav will be confirmed as Supreme Court Justice???

• Yes, he's voted into the Supreme Court

• No, the vote fails or his nomination is withdrawn

Results are only viewable after voting.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I don't know who he or his accuser are but people are losing their minds over it and it's quite entertaining.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Anyone else find it ironic that they are protesting on the steps of a building with the saying "EQUAL JUSTICE UNDER LAW" etched in stone?

Over a "he said/she said" incident from 35 years ago. But he 100% did it? GTFOH.

Last edited:

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
I just hate how binary the whole thing has been boiled down to by certain groups, where you either believe sexual crime accusers no questions asked or you're part of the "rape culture" that allows women to be victimized. It's so silly.

I think a lot of people have lost sight of the fact that you don't have to immediately take a side or stance on something. The only important thing is that sexual crime accusers are taken seriously and made comfortable in coming forward with their stories, and in that regard I thought it was dumb of Trump and others to mock Ford. I neither believe Ford or disbelieve her, but if you can't prove the accusation, you can't just ruin a guy's life for it.

But everyone deserves due process and to just assume people are guilty before the facts is a destructive act. Ask Brian Banks, the Duke lacrosse team, the Hofstra students, etc.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015

Reading now that Ford has no further plans to pursue her sexual accusations against Kavanaugh any further.

It's almost like it's suddenly not important now... I wonder why?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Reading now that Ford has no further plans to pursue her sexual accusations against Kavanaugh any further.

It's almost like it's suddenly not important now... I wonder why?

I think that's kind of heavy-handed and painting with a broad brush.
she never wanted to testify in the first place. Her concern was her life would be turned upside down and not make a difference and the confirmation process regardless.
She was outed by the media.

I suspect that anybody in her position would simply want to go back to trying to have a normal life. Assuming she told the truth, perhaps that's all she wanted to do. Just speak her piece.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
she never wanted to testify in the first place. Her concern was her life would be turned upside down and not make a difference and the confirmation process regardless.

I suspect that anybody in her position would simply want to go back to trying to have a normal life. Assuming she told the truth, perhaps that's all she wanted to do. Just speak her piece.
She gathered therapist notes, took a lie detector test, and deleted social media content before she was outed. I don't think she had any questions about what was to come.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
She gathered therapist notes, took a lie detector test, and deleted social media content before she was outed. I don't think she had any questions about what was to come.

I'm really not trying to get into a Lincoln Douglas debate about it. I can suggest multiple reasons for those things other than plans to testify.
That's not what I'm trying to say here. Just that somebody who has been sexually assaulted often chooses not to pursue things criminally or otherwise, and that doesn't mean "it isn't important" or that they're lying.

I'm less focused on Ford and more the heavy-handed assumption that if somebody tells the truth about a sexual assault and then does not follow with criminal charges or more, they must be lying or it's "not important now". I think that's flawed logic for Ford or otherwise.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015

Whether her accusations are true or not, I personally have a hard time buying that an educated, politically and socially in tune person such as herself would come into this situation all naive, bright eyed and bushy tailed.

She had to know she couldn't just pop her head into the room and then fade back into obscurity. This was a HUGE story and she is forever part of history. To a lot of people she is a hero, and it's just hard for me to buy that she couldn't foresee that happening.

At the end of the day, I believe this was politically motivated. That's not to say that she's lying, or that she was as a pawn by the Democrats, etc. But I do believe the only goal was to stop the nomination, and now that that's not going to happen, she's happy to accept the gains she's going to get as a now famous #resist hero and bugger off. Call me jaded, but that's what I believe.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
. But I do believe the only goal was to stop the nomination,
If somebody sexually assaulted you and then were going to be put into a position of public morality of sorts, wouldn't you want that information to be thrown into the background file at least?

she's happy to accept the gains she's going to get as a now famous #resist hero. Call me jaded, but that's what I believe.
We'll have to see. If she's no longer pursuing it then it seems but she is not taking optimal advantage of the situation for such a thing.
I would be unimpressed if she were to try to make money off of this and it would probably color my opinion that I still think something happened.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Don't get it twisted.
She wasn't outed by the media. She was outed by the Democrats. That's who had the letter.

Fair enough. My point is that not pursuing this further, fails to convince me it became unimportant to her.

I do think that the cartoon of her being kicked out the Democrat SUV is both funny and sadly true.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
I'm less focused on Ford and more the heavy-handed assumption that if somebody tells the truth about a sexual assault and then does not follow with criminal charges or more, they must be lying or it's "not important now". I think that's flawed logic for Ford or otherwise.
Let's be fair here - this wasn't your run of the mill average sexual assault accusation. This was a national scandal with huge political implications on the highest possible level. To leave out this very unique context is disingenuous IMO.

And I'm not accusing Ford of lying, I refuse to take a strong stance on an incident that may or may not happened at a party when I was 1. But I do find it suspicious, in this context, that the matter would immediately be dropped after the nomination went through.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
But I do find it suspicious, in this context, that the matter would immediately be dropped after the nomination went through.
That very sentence is my point.
Based on what?
What would someone telling the truth look like to you here?
the fact that you find it suspicious suggest that it is representative of somebody not telling the truth.
So what would you expect somebody telling the truth to do?

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
That very sentence is my point.
Based on what?
What would someone telling the truth look like to you here?
the fact that you find it suspicious suggest that it is representative of somebody not telling the truth.
So what would you expect somebody telling the truth to do?
I outlined what I meant by that in an above post. I'm not accusing her of lying at all.

The only accusation I'm making is that this was politically motivated by Ford and stopping the nomination was the sole objective, not to achieve any true justice.

If she's lying, I believe it's to achieve that objective.
If she's telling the truth, I believe it's to achieve that objective (as opposed to wanting true justice for herself).
If she's half telling the truth, half embellishing, I believe it's to achieve that objective.

I don't know which one of those three is what happened, but I believe her political affiliation was the main factor in her coming out now, and her completely dropping the issue after the nomination goes through just further solidifies that for me.

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I outlined what I meant by that in an above post. I'm not accusing her of lying at all.

The only accusation I'm making is that this was politically motivated by Ford and stopping the nomination was the sole objective, not to achieve any true justice.

If she's lying, I believe it's to achieve that objective.
If she's telling the truth, I believe it's to achieve that objective (as opposed to wanting true justice for herself).
If she's half telling the truth, half embellishing, I believe it's to achieve that objective.

I don't know which one of those three is what happened, but I believe her political affiliation was the main factor in her coming out now, and her completely dropping the issue after the nomination goes through just further solidifies that for me.
Stfusiding with the mods