General North Texas is getting lake effect snow.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 3289

Do we have any members in that light purple patch? No mention because they are not bothered / prepared or I guess?
HEATH VON DOOM @HEATH VON DOOM lives in the Kansas City, Missouri area. He says it's colder than he can remember in recent years but his area gets bitter cold/snow every year, so they're more prepared.

He's also like 350 lbs so the extra layers of fat probably insulate him well.

MMAPlaywright

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
After 51 hours of no power, we have power! A neighbor texted the good news.
We’re about to head back home and start dealing with whatever awaits us.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
It's warm, 19,feels like 10
That's always the best part of a cold snap.

If you go a week in sub 10 weather, as soon as it hits 40 you're calling up your boys to see if they want to play some basketball down at the park.

M

member 3289

That's always the best part of a cold snap.

If you go a week in sub 10 weather, as soon as it hits 40 you're calling up your boys to see if they want to play some basketball down at the park.

MMAPlaywright

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
hundreds of thousands maybe...not sure how many people live in those areas

I might be exaggerating but it will be months and months of work

just get the water main off before the pipes think about thawing...sounds like you will only have wall/floor potential issues, this ceiling stuff is just horrible...I expect water heaters to fall into rooms below for some folks, and tons of other wacky stuff

just get the water main off before the pipes think about thawing... when you think everything is thawed out and want to slowly test your lines maybe keep somebody watching the water meter as you open up the water supply again...if there is water going thru that meter but you aren't drawing it inside thru a faucet, hose valve, toilet, etc., then you know it is going somewhere you don't want it

When I shut off my water to work on something I also turn off my hot water heater, if for some reason the water heater is empty it can damage itself if still trying to heat water...better safe than sorry, it is probably frozen solid right now...I have never seen how a water heater reacts to being frozen solid(@Lars R. Biden you ever seen this?)
Our pipes are beneath the house, but now that you mention it our water heater is in the attic.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Screenshot_20210217-102956_Facebook.jpg

The Oscar Mayer Wienermobile wiped out yesterday in Cincinnati.

Edit: Looks like this might be an old photo from a 2008 storm.

I'm leaving it up because it's hilarious.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
This shit is really getting crazy. I can’t imagine how many people are gonna have busted water pipes and lots of water damage. As someone said, the water can come out real fast when a pipe breaks. I’ve had hairline cracks where the water sprays like a mist and pipes bust completely and it gushes like a hydrant. I don’t know if this is good advice or not, but in the past if i thought they were gonna bust i have shut the water off at the main that way when I’m ready to come back i can have someone turn it on while i walk through the house and listen for the inevitable.
100% shut off the house supply if the pipes froze.

When they thaw, it's a fucking mess if the line is pressurized. That's going to be a major problem as Texas either gets above freezing or gets people back under power and they can heat their home again.

People are going to be like "Thank God that's over." Not realizing what's about to happen.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
100% shut off the house supply if the pipes froze.

When they thaw, it's a fucking mess if the line is pressurized. That's going to be a major problem as Texas either gets above freezing or gets people back under power and they can heat their home again.

People are going to be like "Thank God that's over." Not realizing what's about to happen.
The other thing I've noticed throughout this thread is that rather than acknowledging info from people who deal with this situation frequently they'll talk among themselves and come up with their own ideas of the best way to handle the situation.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
After 51 hours of no power, we have power! A neighbor texted the good news.
We’re about to head back home and start dealing with whatever awaits us.
That’s good news! We’re still without power, but we’ll see what happens today.
Sure this has been inconvenient, and a huge pain in the ass, but in a way it’s been quite an experience. The extra time with my wife and son has been awesome without the normal distractions (like work). My son thinks this whole thing has been awesome hah, he’s had a blast. Not much we can do but keep on trukin’ through.