General North Texas is getting lake effect snow.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Random question, but what is a the average house structure in texas like? 2x4 or 2x6 walls? Batt insulation and blown in in the attic space? R-value?
Here the standard is R60 in the attic and R20 minimum in walls and basement
Ever hear the story of the 3 Little Pigs?

Texas was built by Pig #1

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
i think this is fair to say. But ERCOT and and Abbott deserve their fair/appropriate amount of blame, and a lot of this is out of the control of homeowners/energy consumers. Sure, individuals have the responsibility of securing their own property’s integrity. But I think what people are mad about is that we’ve had warnings before, like 2011. That wasn’t nearly as bad as this and still demonstrated major deficiencies with the power grid. Pretty much every entity with regulatory control or oversight recommended many different types of upgrades. Meetings were held and consumer rates were raised to help pay for the upgrades, which was on top of other funding that was supposed to go to the upgrades. Literally ZERO were implemented since then. That’s why people are mad - we’ve had the warnings, and allegedly had at least some of the funding, but nothing was done by those in control. I’m not exaggerating either - from what I understand absolutely nothing was upgraded or winterized since 2011.

in the end it comes down to the system being built for cheap energy for consumers, and not for a worst case scenario.
ERCOT I understand. Blaming the attorney general for doing attorney general stuff kind of eludes me. That being said, and I'm far from an expert on Texas power grids, but based on what I know about winterizing things its directly related to how bad the weather gets. Ie, if 2011 conditions weren't as severe as 2021, you could very well spend a bunch of money and time doing those upgrades and end up in the same boat anyways.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
ERCOT I understand. Blaming the attorney general for doing attorney general stuff kind of eludes me. That being said, and I'm far from an expert on Texas power grids, but based on what I know about winterizing things its directly related to how bad the weather gets. Ie, if 2011 conditions weren't as severe as 2021, you could very well spend a bunch of money and time doing those upgrades and end up in the same boat anyways.
What exactly are AG things?

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Are we sure that's what happened?
I don't have a time machine, so no. That being said, it stands to reason that if he was elected governor of the state he probably at least hovered around acting in the public's best interest in his previous position.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I don't have a time machine, so no. That being said, it stands to reason that if he was elected governor of the state he probably at least hovered around acting in the public's best interest in his previous position.
ehhhhhhhhhhhh
This is only one example, but over 50% of Texans want marijuana to be legalized or at least decriminalized (It's actually the official stance of the Texas GOP)....the Gov and Lt. Gov have flat out said they will not do it, which is against the will of the majority. It stands to reason if they won't act how the public would want on that, why would they do it on anything else?

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
ehhhhhhhhhhhh
This is only one example, but over 50% of Texans want marijuana to be legalized or at least decriminalized (It's actually the official stance of the Texas GOP)....the Gov and Lt. Gov have flat out said they will not do it, which is against the will of the majority. It stands to reason if they won't act how the public would want on that, why would they do it on anything else?
Because he wins elections. If Texas cared that much about legal dope they'd vote him out over it, but it's probably not that high on the old priority list.

Out of curiosity, do you blame ERCOT for not properly winterizing and preparing their equipment?

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Because he wins elections. If Texas cared that much about legal dope they'd vote him out over it, but it's probably not that high on the old priority list.

Out of curiosity, do you blame ERCOT for not properly winterizing and preparing their equipment?
Yes, but there is more than just them to blame.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Why do you blame them? Sounds to me like you should have started your own power company if you don't like their service.
ERCOT isn't a power company. My power company is actually pretty awesome.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Then what's your issue?
ERCOT, who is a regulatory body, screwed the pooch by not upgrading the grid to handle cold weather resulting in what happened last week. This isn't the first time this has happened. Is ERCOT the only one to blame, no. Do they have blame though, absolutely.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
ERCOT, who is a regulatory body, screwed the pooch by not upgrading the grid to handle cold weather resulting in what happened last week. This isn't the first time this has happened. Is ERCOT the only one to blame, no. Do they have blame though, absolutely.
I guess I'm being unclear, so I'll just come out and say it. Remember when "Hosts can kick off Parler if they want. If you don't like it make your own server."? I'm trying to have you apply that logic across the board now that we've found something that's both fucked up and effects you personally.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I guess I'm being unclear, so I'll just come out and say it. Remember when "Hosts can kick off Parler if they want. If you don't like it make your own server."? I'm trying to have you apply that logic across the board now that we've found something that's both fucked up and effects you personally.
Well it's funny you mention that.
This is my first house and the first time experiencing this in a home that I owned. So because this happened I'm doing the following:
-Getting a generator
-Installing an isolation switch
-Better insulating the house
-Cutting down and splitting more firewood than before
-Upping our emergency water supply and emergency food supply

See, I am making sure my family is fine the next time this happens, that's what a responsible person would do, make sure the people they are responsible for are taken care of.

ERCOT did not do those things, when that is their job.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Well it's funny you mention that.
This is my first house and the first time experiencing this in a home that I owned. So because this happened I'm doing the following:
-Getting a generator
-Installing an isolation switch
-Better insulating the house
-Cutting down and splitting more firewood than before
-Upping our emergency water supply and emergency food supply

See, I am making sure my family is fine the next time this happens, that's what a responsible person would do, make sure the people they are responsible for are taken care of.

ERCOT did not do those things, when that is their job.
Far as I can tell ERCOT is just the name they've given for when the heads of the individual unregulated power companies sit and discuss what should be their standards. Is that way off the mark?

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Far as I can tell ERCOT is just the name they've given for when the heads of the individual unregulated power companies sit and discuss what should be their standards. Is that way off the mark?
ERCOT is a membership-based 501(c)(4) nonprofit corporation, governed by a board of directors and subject to oversight by the Public Utility Commission of Texas and the Texas Legislature.
Some are heads of power companies, others are not.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
So you can see how that entity might not be inclined to dump large sums of money betting on unlikely outcomes, right?
Then they need to be removed from their positions when the whole goal of ERCOT is to provide stable electricity to the people of Texas.