Sports Official All Things Golf Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Shot another personal low today. Still letting small mistakes blow up the score though. That's more a mental thing on my part. Have been working on accuracy off the tee with everything down to the 5I and that helped a lot, with 50% of the fairways hit today.

Also worked on getting more rotation in my swing and have increased my speed significantly. Was hitting my 5I off the ground to a 220 marker on the range before we played. A guy next to us actually walked over and got the distance with his range finder and still couldn't believe it. I drove #17 to within 20 yards of the pin lol. My next focus is going to strictly be putting and contact with the irons because I feel I could easily break 90 with little effort if I didn't have the problem of mishitting the irons and then missing easy putts. Playing partners said they'd get me lessons because they think I could actually be pretty damn good. I think they're crazy because today was literally only my 4th round ever, but I will see.

4 putts on the 1st hole? Bro!

To rebound from that and have a decent round is solid. After 4 putts on the 1st I would have been shotgunning beers on the 2nd tee box in a fit of rage.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
one problem I have that I can’t find the answer to, is, I’m hitting my driver too high ? Any ideas guys ?
Could be a bunch of things. If it's a climbing drive, it's usually because of backspin on the ball. That happens when you make contact with the ball while your club is still on a downward path.

I'd head to the range and play around with your tee height. The rule of thumb is to have about half of the ball above the driver head. If you are lower than that, you might be hitting down on the ball which will put backspin on it and cause the ball to rise during flight to an apex, then land with very little roll. You also don't want to tee it too high as that can cause your driver to sweep under the ball, missing the sweet spot and launch it into the air like an iron.

There's plenty of other things that can effect a drive that is too high - The degree of your driver, the flex on your driver's shaft, the softness of the ball, your specific type of swing.

But I'd start simple. If you are making good, solid contact (which if you are getting 245 with a high flight drive I'm assuming you are) I'd just play around with the tee height. Maybe move your stance backward a bit so the ball is lined up closer to your lead foot. And this might sound crazy, but you might find the ball goes further with more roll if you actually slow your swing down a bit.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
I took a three year hiatus due to work and have since come back and am surprised at how right everything is, I’m playing off around +20 to +25 which I’m fairly happy with considering - one problem I have that I can’t find the answer to, is, I’m hitting my driver too high ? Any ideas guys ?

I’m hitting around 220-245 straight or slightly off left but if I could get the trajectory right, I’ll be gaining a good 30yds at least, it’s as high as a wedge at times !
What degree driver? What’s your swing speed? Could be the incorrect flex in your shaft or you may need to tee it a little lower.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
I just had a 3-putt free round and another personal low. I focused on my short game and my long clubs went to shit. Damn I love this game, even though it always finds a way to fuck me.

Juicex

Jun 23, 2019
Could be a bunch of things. If it's a climbing drive, it's usually because of backspin on the ball. That happens when you make contact with the ball while your club is still on a downward path.

I'd head to the range and play around with your tee height. The rule of thumb is to have about half of the ball above the driver head. If you are lower than that, you might be hitting down on the ball which will put backspin on it and cause the ball to rise during flight to an apex, then land with very little roll. You also don't want to tee it too high as that can cause your driver to sweep under the ball, missing the sweet spot and launch it into the air like an iron.

There's plenty of other things that can effect a drive that is too high - The degree of your driver, the flex on your driver's shaft, the softness of the ball, your specific type of swing.

But I'd start simple. If you are making good, solid contact (which if you are getting 245 with a high flight drive I'm assuming you are) I'd just play around with the tee height. Maybe move your stance backward a bit so the ball is lined up closer to your lead foot. And this might sound crazy, but you might find the ball goes further with more roll if you actually slow your swing down a bit.
Thanks bud, last time out, I had a friend video my swing plenty and sent them over to my old coach...
He pretty much says what you say, I’m coming down on the ball and not keeping in the swing enough leaving the club face open but countering it by cutting across the ball which would otherwise be a wild hook.

I’m gonna slow it down a tad and try to open up my swing a bit more.

Fk, it’s not like riding a bike, is it :D

The shaft on my ping g10 is very flexible, I can see that a lot in the video’s - does that create a problem in itself ?
I thought a more flexible shaft would be beneficial to add distance as I’m not the biggest fella in the world.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Thanks bud, last time out, I had a friend video my swing plenty and sent them over to my old coach...
He pretty much says what you say, I’m coming down on the ball and not keeping in the swing enough leaving the club face open but countering it by cutting across the ball which would otherwise be a wild hook.

I’m gonna slow it down a tad and try to open up my swing a bit more.

Fk, it’s not like riding a bike, is it :D

The shaft on my ping g10 is very flexible, I can see that a lot in the video’s - does that create a problem in itself ?
I thought a more flexible shaft would be beneficial to add distance as I’m not the biggest fella in the world.
A flexible shaft can add distance, but it can also lead to a horrible slice if you are swinging too hard. Club head needs to be square when it connects with the ball. Slow the swing down and focus on the point of impact.

Juicex

Jun 23, 2019
A flexible shaft can add distance, but it can also lead to a horrible slice if you are swinging too hard. Club head needs to be square when it connects with the ball. Slow the swing down and focus on the point of impact.
Makes complete sense, thanks bud.

What’s your handicap ?
Where do you reside ?

Juicex

Jun 23, 2019
I just had a 3-putt free round and another personal low. I focused on my short game and my long clubs went to shit. Damn I love this game, even though it always finds a way to fuck me.

Nice card mate.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
From my experience, too flexible of a shaft will exaggerate your misses, whether that be a hook or slice. You’ll get high ball flight that balloons up as well. My average swing speed is over 100mph and I’m fighting this problem with a regular flex Aldila RIP Phenom shaft. My dilemma is the cost for a quality shaft is the same price as a nicer driver that already has a stiffer shaft. I’ll probably get fitted and look for a used driver near those specs.

Juicex

Jun 23, 2019
From my experience, too flexible of a shaft will exaggerate your misses, whether that be a hook or slice. You’ll get high ball flight that balloons up as well. My average swing speed is over 100mph and I’m fighting this problem with a regular flex Aldila RIP Phenom shaft. My dilemma is the cost for a quality shaft is the same price as a nicer driver that already has a stiffer shaft. I’ll probably get fitted and look for a used driver near those specs.
I may switch to my old McGregor driver which has a stiff shaft and see if it’s any better...
Would rather correct my swing than compensate with equipment though tbh, otherwise, it’ll just become a never ending cycle.

(I’m never expecting to hit single figures, I don’t have the time to dedicate for that)

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Makes complete sense, thanks bud.

What’s your handicap ?
Where do you reside ?
Historically, I'm a 9. But I don't play nearly as much as I used to. I used to play in a couple leagues, but now I'm only getting out about 10 times a season and probably half of those are outings where it's either best ball or a straight out scramble.

I'm in Ohio.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
I may switch to my old McGregor driver which has a stiff shaft and see if it’s any better...
Would rather correct my swing than compensate with equipment though tbh, otherwise, it’ll just become a never ending cycle.

(I’m never expecting to hit single figures, I don’t have the time to dedicate for that)
Well if your swing speed or transition is that which requires a stiffer shaft, then that itself is a good fix. Unless you can time the loading with a more flexible shaft, you’re only hurting yourself. I believe Nicklaus was one that could have a faster swing speed, but was able to time and feel the club head in transition to actually benefit him.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Historically, I'm a 9. But I don't play nearly as much as I used to. I used to play in a couple leagues, but now I'm only getting out about 10 times a season and probably half of those are outings where it's either best ball or a straight out scramble.

I'm in Ohio.
Local muni does $20 rounds after 1pm during the week with cart included. Not a bad track either. Will be leaving work early multiple days a week all summer.

Juicex

Jun 23, 2019

I'm in Ohio.
Nice work !
Lowest I ever got to was around 19 and I was chuffed with that...
Then again, I’ve always tried to focus on harder aspects of the game then a rookie should, like shaping the ball for a fade/draw from within a cpl months and playing accurate punch shots.
Never liked having to ‘take my medicine’ from the hazards and roughs, have always preferred to be able to get out of those situations at a mitigated cost lol.

Damn, no chance of a round with ya then.
Keep it up bud !

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
WITB: 119th U.S. Open champion Gary Woodland Edition

Driver: Ping G410 Plus (9 degrees set at 7)
Shaft: Accra RPG 472 M5+ (44.75 inches, tipped 2 inches)

3-wood: Ping G410 LST (14.5 degrees set at 13.6)
Shaft: Accra Tour ZX 4100 M5 (42.5 inches, tipped 2.5 inches)

Irons: Wilson Staff Model Blades (3-PW)
Shafts: KBS Tour C-Taper 130 X shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design SM7 (52-08F, 58-10S), TaylorMade Hi-Toe (64 degrees)
Shafts: KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125 X

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport prototype
Grip: SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Cord Midsize

Ball: Titleist Pro V1
Watching how genuine Gary was playing with the girl that has Downs, made me a huge fan of his. Really glad to see him win.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I took a three year hiatus due to work and have since come back and am surprised at how right everything is, I’m playing off around +20 to +25 which I’m fairly happy with considering - one problem I have that I can’t find the answer to, is, I’m hitting my driver too high ? Any ideas guys ?

I’m hitting around 220-245 straight or slightly off left but if I could get the trajectory right, I’ll be gaining a good 30yds at least, it’s as high as a wedge at times !
Probably coming in too steep at impact, which is pretty common with those of us that don’t play a lot. Trying teeing the ball down, and dragging the club as low as possible on your takeaway (versus picking it right up as you bring it back). Also slow your takeaway down. This should help you come in shallower at impact and lower the flight of your ball.

Juicex

Jun 23, 2019
Probably coming in too steep at impact, which is pretty common with those of us that don’t play a lot. Trying teeing the ball down, and dragging the club as low as possible on your takeaway (versus picking it right up as you bring it back). Also slow your takeaway down. This should help you come in shallower at impact and lower the flight of your ball.
To translate this to common language (I’m crap at deciphering golf lingo) do you mean slow the downswing and extend arms on downswing ?
I try and was taught to have everything release at impact so I don’t actually ‘swing’ until the second half of the downswing...

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
To translate this to common language (I’m crap at deciphering golf lingo) do you mean slow the downswing and extend arms on downswing ?
I try and was taught to have everything release at impact so I don’t actually ‘swing’ until the second half of the downswing...
Yeah, translating golf lessons via text is tough lol.

Here's a good video to show you the basics. 1) tee the ball down a bit 2) narrow your stance slightly 3) play the ball back in your stance a bit 4) shallow at and thru impact (to help me accomplish this, I take it away low to the ground)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzPohoe3STA

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
No, just your back swing. There should be no hand and arm movement at the initial takeaway. You turn your shoulders and core to coil up and then transition to the downswing by unwinding. If you're being to armsy, you'll chop down at the ball. I'll reference you to my favorite golf swing ever... Cassandra Meyers. When you learn these basics of the swing, you can use a tool like the orange whip to ingrain that tempo in the swing.

Distance will come from club speed to ball speed in the form of smash factor. This number is out of whack if you can't hit a centered shot. This is where the newer high MOI drivers come into play.

Slo-Mo of Cassandra's swing...

Juicex

Jun 23, 2019
No, just your back swing. There should be no hand and arm movement at the initial takeaway. You turn your shoulders and core to coil up and then transition to the downswing by unwinding. If you're being to armsy, you'll chop down at the ball. I'll reference you to my favorite golf swing ever... Cassandra Meyers. When you learn these basics of the swing, you can use a tool like the orange whip to ingrain that tempo in the swing.

Distance will come from club speed to ball speed in the form of smash factor. This number is out of whack if you can't hit a centered shot. This is where the newer high MOI drivers come into play.

Slo-Mo of Cassandra's swing...

Thanks mate.
I used to try and model my swing on Luke donald before my coach told me not to bother as his is as close to textbook perfect as you’ll get and that I’d never match it lol...
I’ve since developed my own, sort of.

Juicex

Jun 23, 2019
Just watched it...
What kind of wizardry is that !? Does she dislocate her shoulder to enact the crazy backswing !?